GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
5,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a couple of questions prompted by my recent experience in Wyoming. This started on Beartooth Pass. I came up on 3 Harley trikes going up the pass. We met at an observation point. They left before I did but I caught them pretty quickly. They were riding in a line about 2 - 3 seconds apart. I followed for a while thinking they would wave me by, but they did not. I ended up passing them one at a time. I stopped at another observation point and once again the group arrived after I did and left before I did. We did the same thing again. The third time this happened it was on Chief Joseph.

The first time I met them in the rest area they were really friendly, but after that they did not say anything to me as if I had offended them. What is the polite thing for me to do? Should I have waited long enough that I was not going to catch them before pulling off again? Should I stay behind them until I felt like I could safely pass all 3 trikes so I did not inset my motorcycle in their formation? They were running close to the speed limit.

What do you do if you are the one being passed on a two lane road with limited opportunities to pass? Do you wave people by or just let them fend for themselves?

·
Registered
304 Posts
They should have waved you by. I just had someone wave me by and moved to the right so I could pass in the same lane due to oncoming traffic.

I would have done the same as you and passed them as the conditions warranted.

Sent from my HD1907 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2018 Goldwing Tour. Manuel trans
68 Posts
I have a couple of questions prompted by my recent experience in Wyoming. This started on Beartooth Pass. I came up on 3 Harley trikes going up the pass. We met at an observation point. They left before I did but I caught them pretty quickly. They were riding in a line about 2 - 3 seconds apart. I followed for a while thinking they would wave me by, but they did not. I ended up passing them one at a time. I stopped at another observation point and once again the group arrived after I did and left before I did. We did the same thing again. The third time this happened it was on Chief Joseph.

The first time I met them in the rest area they were really friendly, but after that they did not say anything to me as if I had offended them. What is the polite thing for me to do? Should I have waited long enough that I was not going to catch them before pulling off again? Should I stay behind them until I felt like I could safely pass all 3 trikes so I did not inset my motorcycle in their formation? They were running close to the speed limit.

What do you do if you are the one being passed on a two lane road with limited opportunities to pass? Do you wave people by or just let them fend for themselves?
Sounds like they have the problem. Go on or get out of the way. That’s how I see it. I have this happen a lot. But if they are to slow I usually just blow by them. They don’t ever wave but oh well.

·
Registered
737 Posts
I don't think there was ever a time where someone wanted to pass me when I was the front runner. I usually run about 10 over the speed limit. If another rider wanted to pass me and I could let him go safely, I think I would. I like to call the faster cars on the highway my rabbit. They keep an eye for for troopers while I continue on at my sightly elevated pace.
I think I would have waited for a time to pass all 3 at once. That way you are not inserting yourself into their formation. Put yourself in t heir shoes. How would you like it if someone broke into your group only to pass one of you at a time.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
I usually ride with a group of 3-4 riders, but sometimes more.

Anybody faster than us (we ride at 10+ kph the posted speed limit) gets waved by, and it's up to the passing rider to pass as many of us as they feel comfortable. We always pull to the right side of the lane and wave them on.

Likewise, we pass slower riders as many at a time as we feel safe and comfortable, and always wave as we ride past them. No animosity one way or the other.

Tim

·
Registered
304 Posts
...I think I would have waited for a time to pass all 3 at once. That way you are not inserting yourself into their formation. Put yourself in their shoes. How would you like it if someone broke into your group only to pass one of you at a time.
This is certainly my preference as well, but some people just won't tighten up for you to get them all at once.

Sent from my HD1907 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
I don't think there was ever a time where someone wanted to pass me when I was the front runner. I usually run about 10 over the speed limit. If another rider wanted to pass me and I could let him go safely, I think I would. I like to call the faster cars on the highway my rabbit. They keep an eye for for troopers while I continue on at my sightly elevated pace.
I think I would have waited for a time to pass all 3 at once. That way you are not inserting yourself into their formation. Put yourself in t heir shoes. How would you like it if someone broke into your group only to pass one of you at a time.
I'm not sure why it's a problem if someone is passing one or more of our group; if they need to pull in and become part of our group for a few hundred metres, we just back off and let them ease safely into line. It's simple road craft.

Tim

·
Registered
9,809 Posts
<...>What do you do if you are the one being passed on a two lane road with limited opportunities to pass? Do you wave people by or just let them fend for themselves?
Rare event personally, but if there's a single bike or a group, I will signal by making the "go ahead & lead" sign with my left arm and stay tight(er) to the fog line.

Since they did NOT know the protocol for signaling YOU to proceed (see above), they wanted to be the bikes in the front of the line, not you.

Especially after you did it to them the first time. Now, not saying you did anything wrong, other than really give a crap about what other riders - on that road at that time of day - were doing.

Pass 'em and get on with your ride.

·
Registered
2,393 Posts
I try to keep to my philosophy of "going with the flow" when riding my motorcycle. There have been many times when I've been riding behind another vehicle traveling at or near the speed limit when another motorcycle will come up behind me, get right on my tail and then pass crossing a double yellow line. There's been a few of those instances where there's been a near head-on collision with another vehicle approaching from the opposite direction. And then low and behold when I get to the next stop sign or traffic signal there's the idiot right in front of me and I shake my head in disgust saying to myself "yeah, that was really worth the risk that idiot took."

·
Registered
430 Posts
I would pass each vehicle separately or as a group, whatever is safe and legal for me. If another vehicle is coming up behind me at an obviously higher speed I may move to the right side of my lane to provide a better line of sight for the overtaking driver but I never hand signal another driver to do anything. In Ontario that would be considered directing traffic and is illegal, and if another driver were to act upon my hand signal and crashes I could be considered partly liable.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
I usually pull to the right side of the lane to let folks pass if they come up behind me faster than I want to go. In the reverse, I try to be courteous, but if they're not going to be helpful I would have done what you did.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Rare event personally, but if there's a single bike or a group, I will signal by making the "go ahead & lead" sign with my left arm and stay tight(er) to the fog line.

I couldn't remember all those signals.

Since they did NOT know the protocol for signaling YOU to proceed (see above), they wanted to be the bikes in the front of the line, not you.

Especially after you did it to them the first time. Now, not saying you did anything wrong, other than really give a crap about what other riders - on that road at that time of day - were doing.

Pass 'em and get on with your ride.

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
I remember a friend of mine, who used to be the president of an "MC" motorcycle club, telling me that there was a protocol, and that you had to get "permission" from the leader to pass a group. Not sure how you do that from the back of the group, and not sure I give a crap about their protocol. Of course, that depends on how many of them there are, and on the probability of having to stop at the same point somewhere up ahead. ;)

Reactions: David Gallion

·
Registered
504 Posts

As long as they are doing the speed limit then you should stay back there until it is safe for you pass all 3. Just because you don't want to obey the law and drive the speed limit don't try to force other to do what you do.

·
Registered
580 Posts
All great observations here from different points of view. Trikes occupy more lane space, so passing courteously (and legally) becomes more an art form. Why mention it was three Harleys? Why not just three trikes? Isn't that the issue, or is it? No need to bash the obvious, but that brand specificity feels a bit like a pointed gun. After all, the ultimate question was "What do you do if you are the one being passed on a two lane road with limited opportunities to pass? Do you wave people by or just let them fend for themselves?" Does the answer to that question hinge on whether you are riding a Goldwing?

·
Registered
94 Posts
ARRRR, they be pirates matey.

A group of 3 isn't usually a problem. When I am riding, I would rather have you in front of me, so I can keep an eye on you,
I would have probably waived you by.

·
Registered
319 Posts
I have been known to meander on two lane back roads enjoying the scenery. I have no problem moving over to the right and waving a bike, car, truck by so they can go on about their business. If I am the one wanting to pass then when it is safe to do so I pass. I forgot to mention out here I usually end up behind more farm tractors than slower vehicles

·
Registered
Rockies Gold Puppet Master
1,631 Posts
I'd have done the same thing. I'll always appreciate a fellow rider who pulls to the right side of the lane to let me cruise on by. I try to do that whenever possible. If they don't, I'll wait for a safe place to pass, get past as many as possible, "gently" ease in behind the next bike/trike and get on with my day. Nothing personal about it. Ride your ride, enjoy your day and I'll do the same!

1 - 20 of 48 Posts