GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
21 - 40 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
2,825 Posts
The first time I met them in the rest area they were really friendly, but after that they did not say anything to me as if I had offended them.
Why do you expect other riders to acknowledge you more than once?

Reactions: Racer57

·
Registered
4,831 Posts
I don't understand what the problem was. What does them being on Harleys have to do with anything ? If there was room in between each one, how is it any different than being in a car ? If you want to go faster, then drop a gear and floor it.

·
Registered
879 Posts
@networkguy3 - people seem to forget common courtesy and reasonableness when they ride with their tribes. If another rider comes up quickly on your riding group and the rearmost motorcyclist wants to pass, it's proper to let them pass. I don't want anyone riding hard on my backside. Let them by - I have! Simple solution.

Had a group of 14 plus motorcycles last weekend and when we encountered slower riders, we safely passed them one at a time. And our riding group had a rule, that faster riders should pass slower riders, so long as they are safe - and of course, we had a "Sweeper" and waited at the turns for all riders.

As to your story: Their tribe was riding on 3-wheelers and you're from a different tribe. They "felt" embarrassed being caught up to. Stubbornness sunk in after the second time you passed them. I would have waited at the rest stop for you to go ahead first and then have my trike group leave - give you space and allow us to enjoy our ride.

It's just much easier to remove friction and let that "faster" party get in front of you.

Ego's and motorcycles don't mix well!

·
Registered
3,075 Posts
I let folks pass whenever I can but I tend to not get the same curtesy from others, be it cars or motorcycles. And my experience is HD riders do not like to be passed by a Honda. More than once I’ve had them just catch back up and pass me back…

·
Vendor
19,445 Posts
If I was riding so slow, that you passed me 3 times, I wouldn't want to talk to ya either ... just say'n !!!

·
Premium Member
605 Posts
Three Trikes riding together are about the length of a semi. As such, if I could safely pass a semi, I would pass the trikes as a group. I wouldn't tuck myself under a trailer to semi-pass a semi would I? That being said, when I am the last rider in a group, I know when a vehicle is moving at a faster pace than my group. At those times I let the group know that there is a likelihood of the vehicle to want to move past us. In a small group of 3, not really an issue but if we have a pack of 8, it is likely that the car is going to have to tuck in somewhere and I ask the group to move right and allow for that possibility. Generally I believe that between a head on collision and taking out a motorcycle, a passing driver will opt to take out the motorcycle.
That also being said, the group of trikes should have waved you past, it doesn't take a lot to be courteous and then resume the ride at your own leisure. Most Harley riders (in my experience) don't have on board communication with each other like GL and crotch rocket groups and can't let anyone else know what the group should do in a given circumstance.
I was recently on The Dragon with a riding partner and when a group of 3 came up on us, we pulled to the right and waved them past. Two simple gestures and everyone knew what each groups intentions were. Far be it for me to not let them test their skills.

Reactions: jtdunc

·
Registered
568 Posts
We pull over and wave them by. If need be, we will slow down some so they can safely pass.

·
Vendor
22,392 Posts
Your mistake was allowing them to ever pull out ahead of you again after you passed them the first time. When I see Harley riders starting to put on their gear, I jump on the bike and leave so that I don't end up behind them. Same applies for RV owners. Don't ever let them get in front of you in the first place if you can.

·
Registered
737 Posts
2 -3 seconds apart is a pretty tight formation, even if staggered. Like what was stated earlier, trikes are wider and take up much more room in the lane. If you can not pass them all at once, stay behind and pray they get off so that you can just put them in your rear view. If it was a much longer group, I would wait to be invited to pass. This would tell me it was okay to cut into their group if you could not make the whole tribe in one swoop. If they are wearing a 3 piece patch, find a place to take a few minutes break and give them room. Don't think about passing them, and they will not be waving you on. I have been on some nice twisty roads and stuck behind vehicles, cars trucks and/or bikes, and could not pass. Wish I was riding a bit more spirited, but I was still on this great road. Sit back, wait, and enjoy. At the end of the day everyone made it home safe.

·
Premium Member
536 Posts
In our group of eight riders there are two trikes, we are all 65 years or older. We will generally go with the flow and don't slow anyone down. If there is a problem we will pull over and let traffic pass. However at any time if someone wants to pass us we get over in our lane to allow as much room as possible and there are no hard feelings. You have to ride your own ride and don't worry about some rectal orifice.
Bill

·
Registered
155 Posts
rufasim- Well Said. At the end of every ride, it's all about everyone arriving home safely. I try to check my pride at the door, especially when my bride of 47 years is sitting behind me. I ride with a small group of experienced riders each week and always ride tailgunner. I have never liked being in the Pack. I maintain a steady distance and closely monitor what is happening in front of me. Things sometimes happen very quickly at speed on all day rides. I want to always be ready to brake, swerve, and maneuver. I am a big user of Cruise Control. On the Interstate, sometimes I find myself slowly closing on a pack (wad) of vehicles in both lanes all going about the same speed I am. Many times, if no traffic to the rear, I simply kill cruise control and coast for a while. Let the Pack go and do their thing. When they are 1/4 or so mile ahead I Resume Cruise. Takes very little total time and gives me back the space cushion that I Demand. Back Off occasionally, Enjoy the Ride. Live to Ride Another Day. My philosophy after 50 years on street bikes.

·
Registered
9,809 Posts
Your mistake was allowing them to ever pull out ahead of you again after you passed them the first time. <...>
One of the early lessons in the "How to Tour on a Honda" class. :sneaky:

It truly doesn't take long to recognize that, once you have experienced this a time or two.

·
Premium Member
4,582 Posts
100% of the time I will pull as far to the right as I can and wave people by if they want to go faster than I am going. I do this in my car too. Why would I hold anybody up? As far as passing people, if I want to go faster than they want to, I appreciate it if they wave me by, but I won't wait long for that, and I don't care what they think about it. Why would I care what strangers think? Nor do I care if passing is legal right there and then. If in my judgement I can safely pass, I will. and in that circumstance, the only opinion I would care about is the police officer's whose presence I might have missed.

Reactions: bobbsmith

·
Premium Member
605 Posts
Your mistake was allowing them to ever pull out ahead of you again after you passed them the first time. When I see Harley riders starting to put on their gear, I jump on the bike and leave so that I don't end up behind them. Same applies for RV owners. Don't ever let them get in front of you in the first place if you can.
I was stuck behind a small RV for 35 miles on a mountain road. He was doing less than 1/2 the posted speed (35MPH) and passed up the opportunity to let me and others go on 8 pull offs. (I counted) It was a miserable ride for me, my riding partner and the 12 or more cars behind us probably weren't too happy either..

·
Registered
9,809 Posts
I couldn't remember all those signals.
Maybe that's the problem. That series of hand signals is taught by a multitude of training classes at all levels. No, not all of them are a requirement for licensing but the left turn, right turn and slowing signs were probably on your MC license endorsement eons ago.

My suspicion is the riders in our OP's story probably weren't aware of a commonly used means to communicate easily and without ambiguity between riders. I might also suspect there may have been a few that were just exposed to this communication concept between riders in reading this very thread over the last day.

Besides, seems like this is a topic that's been here before.

Fun reading the responses from some of the old-timers from years ago.

Things never really change it would seem.

21 - 40 of 48 Posts