GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
41 - 48 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Ha! Same deal here at the Beartooth Pass back in '14 while riding my former Concours 14.

I was still on Red Lodge chatting with some other riders after breakfast when a parade of about 50 bikes went by us on the main road. I made a mental note.

Sure enough, i caught up after crossing the summit at Beartooth.

Looking intently for traffic ascending in the opposite direction, I saw none. Passed dozens at a time.

Parade floats of that magnitude really need to leave gaps because basically they are not maintaining a minimum speed due to the slinky effect.

·
Premium Member
4,582 Posts
"Mockery is the highest form of flattery...," or something like that. Oh, you're a sly one, Mr. Grinch Karasik.
Manny happy returns. BTW, I don't intend mockery of typos, although I enjoy them.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Manny happy returns. BTW, I don't i tend mockery. as many as I make, I'm the last person to mock a typo, although I do enjoy them.
Of course, it's all in good fun. Autocorrect (or it's lack) has sunk manny a man's ship. Of that, I am certain! 😁

·
Registered
879 Posts
Your mistake was allowing them to ever pull out ahead of you again after you passed them the first time. When I see Harley riders starting to put on their gear, I jump on the bike and leave so that I don't end up behind them. Same applies for RV owners. Don't ever let them get in front of you in the first place if you can.
Spent 20 miles on some twisty backroads behind a rider on their Ural with sidecar and a couple of rider with brand new motorcycles. Never again!

·
Registered
31 Posts
I have a couple of questions prompted by my recent experience in Wyoming. This started on Beartooth Pass. I came up on 3 Harley trikes going up the pass. We met at an observation point. They left before I did but I caught them pretty quickly. They were riding in a line about 2 - 3 seconds apart. I followed for a while thinking they would wave me by, but they did not. I ended up passing them one at a time. I stopped at another observation point and once again the group arrived after I did and left before I did. We did the same thing again. The third time this happened it was on Chief Joseph.

The first time I met them in the rest area they were really friendly, but after that they did not say anything to me as if I had offended them. What is the polite thing for me to do? Should I have waited long enough that I was not going to catch them before pulling off again? Should I stay behind them until I felt like I could safely pass all 3 trikes so I did not inset my motorcycle in their formation? They were running close to the speed limit.

What do you do if you are the one being passed on a two lane road with limited opportunities to pass? Do you wave people by or just let them fend for themselves?
OK, Terry, let me educate you on this subject. Years ago, when I was a new rider, I was traveling around Lake Michigan with some friends, all of whom had Harley dressers. I liked to ride in front. Then we encountered another group up near Whitefish Bay, all of whom had Harleys, except one guy at the back of the group on a Gold Wing. I said, "Why are you riding in the back"? I'll never forget his reply: "Well, someone has to pick up the pieces"! Ever since then, if I encounter a group of Harley-riders on a 2-lane road, I simply fall into formation, as though I'm part of the group. Some groups are OK with that, but often, they appear to become a bit uneasy and wind up pulling off the road for a while to make sure I'm WAY ahead of them before they hit the road again. :)

41 - 48 of 48 Posts