GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wrote last month to complain about wind noise on intercom that came from passengers helmet. 90% of road noise I heard came from that source. Installed J&M low frequency filter which got rid of about 20% of what I heard. After a weekend trip I learned that in actuality my passenger is hearing so much wind noise with or without the intercom it is almost unbearable to her. So maybe the problem isn't in the electronics, rather it is an airflow problem - windshield or helmet. Based on a member's recommendation that I buy a Tulsa windshield I raised my stock windshield to its full height. This helped another 10-20% but wind buffeting for rider and subsequent noise are still a problem. Forum members suggested the Tulsa windshield, glueing a rubber glove over passenger's mic, & replacing the helmet. Replacing the helmet and windshield is an expensive proposition if it doesn't work. I think the problem is not in the electronics but in the flow of air around the windshield and rider and then having it slam back around into the passenger. Comments and suggestions will be appreciated. In particular did anyone by an after market windshield that solved the problem? Are there full-faced helmets more quiet than HJC? Thanks,

·
Fire Eating Member
6,473 Posts
My passenger (SO) complained about wind also... mirror wings helped
a bunch... I have the Bakers -- I like being able to adjust them inward
for more air flow in the cockpit when its hot.. and in the winter they help keep air flow off your hands..

cosmic

·
Registered
308 Posts
wind

Before you end up spending a lot on parts that might or might not work. Go to a wing dinner with your local GWWR group, be sure to take your back seater and ask other couples what works. Ask for a ride for you wife/GF on their bike. Use her helmet and have her tell you what works. Ride a course on your bike then have her ride with another bike and see if the new Tulsa windscreen really makes that much of a better difference.

just my suggestion......try before you buy.

·
Registered
416 Posts
I bought my SO a set of custom fit "musician" ear plugs a few years ago. She says they are very comfortable even on long rides. They are ported so she can hear normal conversation/headset perfectly but block out the wind noise. I don't recall where I got them (somewhere on the web) but they sent a mold kit and we went to a hearing aid store that helped us with that (charged us like ten bucks) and then sent the molds in and recieved her earplugs about ten days later. They cost about $130 if I remember correctly. Very small price to pay to protect your or your SO's hearing IMHO.

·
Registered
3,834 Posts
try some of the wings that go under the mirrors before you spend the money on a windshield.
Either Baker or Tulsa(I prefer the Tulsa's,but others will disagree)
Those are easy enough to install that you might be able to get someone to loan you theirs before you buy a set.

·
Registered
4,179 Posts
The mirror wings improved my wifes' comfort level dramatically.

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
I have heard that the killer setup is a Shoei flip face helmet and AutoCom headset/mic.

YMMV

1 - 7 of 7 Posts