GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 118 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Found this today. Leaks down from 41 to 36 in 2-3 days. Dealer says they never patch tires and will only put on a new one. I have plugged/patched car tires before but never a MC tire. Easy? Hard? Not recommended? I only have those plugs that are long sticky strips for cars.

Should I try to plug it or get a new one? This tire only has 4K on it. The nail is in the tread gap.

·
Registered
5,125 Posts
Got a nail in a tire less than a week old one time. No shop in the area would plug or patch a motorcycle tire, Ended up buying a new tire. Since that time I've known a few people that have vulcanized a patch on the inside of the tire a keep riding, but I dont think it's recommended. In hindsight I probably would have just worried about it anyway, so I took the right course of action.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Same thing happened to me. The nail was all the way thru the tire tread and there were no shops that would patch it. I chose not to plug it so I had a new tire put on. Tire had 932 miles on it.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
I'd plug it, but understand others who are squeamish

·
Registered
17,250 Posts
The nail isn't in the sidewall...take the tire off the rim put a hot patch on the inside of the tire & ride the hell out of it...
Old school! Please tell me where I may purchase hot patch kit. Have not seen one for may years.

prs

·
Registered
512 Posts
I'd plug it, but understand others who are squeamish
Love you JoeHall, but I am among the squeamish. A total wimp. Not worthy of iron butt. Not worthy of DCT. Not worthy adding farkles. That said, my life, and implicitly riding safety, is worth way more than $200.00 for a new tire. Maybe not so for others. I check my testosterone, and ego at the door when I climb aboard.

·
Registered
17,250 Posts
100% unsafe in the ride area of a tire.

No way would I ride that tire
I think you have it bassackward; it is unsafe to patch or plug a highway tire near the sidewall, say an inch or so on our tires. If stranded on the road, I would even plug the sade wall with a slathered sticky rope; just to get back to a place to replace.

Patching and plugging are typically a DIY repair. Done properly the repair is reliable.

prs

·
Registered
17,250 Posts
Love you JoeHall, but I am among the squeamish. A total wimp. Not worthy of iron butt. Not worthy of DCT. Not worthy adding farkles. That said, my life, and implicitly riding safety, is worth way more than $200.00 for a new tire. Maybe not so for others. I check my testosterone, and ego at the door when I climb aboard.
MTShipp; maybe FL_RedWing is right. DON"T repair that piece of rubbish; just ship it to me and I will dispose of it properly. ;-)

prs

·
Registered
987 Posts
I'd plug that tire in a heartbeat and never look back until it was worn out.

Old school! Please tell me where I may purchase hot patch kit. Have not seen one for may years.
prs
1)Dual Cure HOT Square Booth Radial Tire Repair Patch 2 " x 3 " Box of 10 | eBay
2) Large 6" Hot Patch Tire Repair Refills (40PK) (iowa80.com)

I know - not the same as the ones we had as kids, where you actually lit a match and watched it burn the patch onto the inside of the tire, and the patch actually worked really well, but still... Nowadays, I guess if you want a hot patch, you have to make due with a chemical reaction. :)

1 - 20 of 118 Posts