GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
21 - 40 of 118 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Red/Black Tour DCT airbag
306 Posts
I'd put a string plug with glue if newer tire. Its not like its gonna blow up, and you have tpms to monitor it and if it leaks it will be slow. However I respect everyone has different opinions.
I'm in this camp too. If the plug were to fail you're just in the same situation as before (a slow leak) and you didn't crash then. Plus, with my luck, I'd put on a brand new tire only to get another puncture straight away. Then what - yet another new tire?

I've had very good success with the sticky rope plugs. Never had one fail (on road bikes or dirt bikes). I always carry them in my kit.

But I respect other people's decision to replace the tire. You have to feel comfortable with your choice.

·
Registered
3,207 Posts
Old school! Please tell me where I may purchase hot patch kit. Have not seen one for may years.

prs
When I was young (the (during the dinosaur age) and working at a gas station, we repaired a lot of tires with hot vulcanized patches. We also had patches that had a plug built into them. Patch on the inside and pulled the plug through the hole.
I think those days are gone.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I know it’s not advised but there are people that do it and never have any problems. I had one plugged changed my mind bought a new tire gave the plugged tire to a friend and ran it until it was bald no problems. Can’t help but wonder if maybe the dealers tell you that just so they can sell another tire.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
FWIW ....... I've ridden on plugged tires twice. Foolish ?? I kinda thing so. Anyway..................... one was on a 1989 Shadow 650. ( my very first bike ) Rode with the plug for about 10K ?? No kidding ...... I'm not sure I ever went over 60-65 mph on that bike. 35 HP. TOTAL cruiser.

The other was on my 1995 VFR. Only a few thousand miles at most as I was ALWAYS thinking about it at the speeds I was frequently traveling.

Being the wise sage I am now, ;) ;) ;) ;) I would say definitely get a new tire.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Love you JoeHall, but I am among the squeamish. A total wimp. Not worthy of iron butt. Not worthy of DCT. Not worthy adding farkles. That said, my life, and implicitly riding safety, is worth way more than $200.00 for a new tire. Maybe not so for others. I check my testosterone, and ego at the door when I climb aboard.

oooooohhh.........................EXCELLENT !!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Plug it, patch it or replace it, your choice.
Since I have the equipment to mount tires, I patch mine if one is necessary.
Patched the rear tire 2000 miles ago with one of these:
Patch.jpg

Reactions: JoeHall and wilkija

·
Registered
152 Posts
Had it happen once on a new tire...cant even tell you how mad I was but i did string and glue plug and rode it. I did prematurely change the tire but there have been some really good points made. Where the nail is and more important there is an onboard tire monitor to watch. I also did like the comment that the tire is new and doubtful it would blow. All good points for me it was my fears of a 200 dollar tire causing a wreck....absolutely no evidence it would have.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Got a nail in my rear tire 5 years ago and had the local Yamaha dealer patch it. When I asked about it he said they patch tires on sport bikes that do 150mph plus and never had a problem so that made my decision to go ahead and do it. Been fine ever since.

21 - 40 of 118 Posts