GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
41 - 60 of 118 Posts

·
Registered
2 non Honda motorcycles for now...maybe a 2022 Wing soon
2,113 Posts
In today's litigious society, most shops won't repair or plug a tire for obvious reasons. It's your bike, do as you like, but "if" the plug fails it may not be at the most convienient time or location. For $200 bucks I'd prefer peace of mind. Would you fly in a twin engine aircraft knowing one engine might start leaking oil?

·
Registered
921 Posts
Plug and ride the hell out of it. Can't remember how many tires I have had to patch in the last 15 years on my wing.
All of them were ridden until the tread was gone.

·
Registered
9,687 Posts
<...> Dealer says they never patch tires and will only put on a new one.<...>
Liability...welcome to America. :rolleyes:

Should I try to plug it or get a new one? This tire only has 4K on it. The nail is in the tread gap.
<...>
Your answer is 'both'.

You're ~50% of the way thru that tire as it sits. If this bike is home, what harm do you have in actually trying to successfully plug it in the comfort of your own garage?

You don't mention going on any long tours. I might avoid really wandering too far from home for the first couple hundred miles, just to check your work in plugging that tire.

Meanwhile, you'll have a short amount of time to look for a replacement.

Three sticky rope plugs in ~170,000 miles - one was 400 miles from home, plugged in a parking lot. Zero issues with wearing out two of those tires. The third plugged tire is on a spare rim at the moment.

Luck to ya!

·
Registered
17,250 Posts
In today's litigious society, most shops won't repair or plug a tire for obvious reasons. It's your bike, do as you like, but "if" the plug fails it may not be at the most convienient time or location. For $200 bucks I'd prefer peace of mind. Would you fly in a twin engine aircraft knowing one engine might start leaking oil?
I speculate that the chances of a properly fitted sticky rope plug failing are LESS than that of getting yet another perforation in the new tire or same tire. Then, if a sticky rope were to fail, the result is nor or should not be catistrophoc. Like a post far above pointed out, you would be in no worse condition than you were when the perforation was first found. Regarding the aircraft, I reckon we all know that an engine failure is possible and does, on occasion, happen.

prs

·
Registered
99 Posts
Three of my plugs (sticky rope) happened hundreds of miles from home.
After the first fifty miles or so,I was confident they will not fail. Rode those tire out.
I've had about five repairs in the past 30 + years. One tire on my ST1300 had two! First happened when it was nearly new. The second happened when it had about a thousand miles left.
My first ever flt happened on a brand new tire on my Ducati 900ss. It was a roofing staple with two holes side by side. I replaced that tire.
A plug on the tread has never been a problem.

btw: AAA + rv.
It has a hundred mile tow.
Used that twice!

·
Registered
17,250 Posts
Found this today. Leaks down from 41 to 36 in 2-3 days. Dealer says they never patch tires and will only put on a new one. I have plugged/patched car tires before but never a MC tire. Easy? Hard? Not recommended? I only have those plugs that are long sticky strips for cars.

Should I try to plug it or get a new one? This tire only has 4K on it. The nail is in the tread gap.

View attachment 387001
We have dscussed the obvious nail hole ad infinitum. BUT, I notice a problem. Look at the OP's pic and follow the same tread sipe to the right out to the edge of the tire's tread; is that another sharp piercing the tire? Maybe, maybe not. If it is, that one is NOT reparable other than "if necessary" to get back to civilization.

prs

·
Registered
132 Posts
"Might" start leaking oil? They all do that!

Plug the tire and ride. What's the worst that could happen? The plug fails and you're back where you started. I've plugged a few tires over the years and have worn out the tire with no issues. Everyone has to find their own comfort zone.

·
Registered
2016 F6B Standard
72 Posts
There's a risk in ALL things and that's what this discussion is really about. We all have different experiences that feed into our decision making and risk analysis.

I've lost the back tire twice on motorcycles and it's wasn't that bad. I would also plug it and ride it, ESPECIALLY since it's a rear tire, deep in the tread, and the tire is still good otherwise. I would probably replace it a little early before it got down to the wear indicator.

RyanF9 did a review of plugs and patches which I'm sure will add more "fodder" to the discussion.

·
Vendor
19,236 Posts
Found this today. Leaks down from 41 to 36 in 2-3 days. Dealer says they never patch tires and will only put on a new one. I have plugged/patched car tires before but never a MC tire. Easy? Hard? Not recommended? I only have those plugs that are long sticky strips for cars.

View attachment 387001
As with all tire repairs, the tire needs inspected on the inside first. Any repair without doing that should be considered temporary. Also, as soon as a tire is repaired, it's max speed should be no more the 85mph tops.

In my area, finding a m/c repair shop that will patch a tire is challenging. No one wants the liability that goes with repairing one.

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
I vote for the plug and ride group. Took off with a fresh plug (rope) from home for Des Moines Wing ding, in the rear tire. Checked a/p every 1/2 hour for 4 hours. I had no a/p loss, so I backed it off to checking it every morning. it held for the entire trip. I replaced it after the trip though, I’m not THAT crazy. Hahahaha. Picked up the dynaplug kit now, and still carry the rope/glue Kit too.
If I had to remove the tire to repair, I’d replace.

·
motorcycle cowboy
2013 GL1800
999 Posts
Plug it and ride.

·
Premium Member
4,333 Posts
I find it interesting that so many motorcyclists who take a daily life-or-death risk just pulling into traffic want either-or answers to clearly gray-area questions. Is the tire othewise healthy? How much tread is left? (I.e., How close--5000 miles or 500 miles--am I to replacing the tire anyway?) What kind of riding--speed, road-conditions, climate conditions, pillion--will I be doing on it? How clean is the puncture, and where is it on the tire? Tens of thousands of motorcyclists have safely ridden hundreds of thousands of miles on scores of thousands of plugged and/or patched tires. From the looks of the puncture in the picture, the condition of the tire, and the remaining tread life, for normal riding I'd plug and forget it.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Add ...https://www.ebay.com/itm/141744157239?chn=ps&norover=1&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-117182-37290-0&mkcid=2&itemid=141744157239&targetid=1263433205254&device=c&mktype=pla&googleloc=9004338&poi=&campaignid=10459841979&mkgroupid=117435520970&rlsatarget=pla-1263433205254&abcId=2146002&merchantid=6362174&gclid=EAIaIQobChMItMm9qqb38QIVUfvICh3fZAsEEAQYBCABEgKh-_D_BwE ... and ride it. How may here have a patch on one of their car/truck tires? Patch and ride!

·
Premium Member
4,333 Posts
Add ...https://www.ebay.com/itm/141744157239?chn=ps&norover=1&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-117182-37290-0&mkcid=2&itemid=141744157239&targetid=1263433205254&device=c&mktype=pla&googleloc=9004338&poi=&campaignid=10459841979&mkgroupid=117435520970&rlsatarget=pla-1263433205254&abcId=2146002&merchantid=6362174&gclid=EAIaIQobChMItMm9qqb38QIVUfvICh3fZAsEEAQYBCABEgKh-_D_BwE ... and ride it. How may here have a patch on one of their car/truck tires? Patch and ride!
Would there be any effects of that on TPMS? Or on dyna-beads?

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Ride-On compatibility with Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS) sensors. Ride-On is safe to use in combination with most TPMS or Tire Pressure Monitoring System sensors, provided that they are hermetically sealed. Ride-On is a liquid and if it gets inside the sensor, this may affect its efficacy negatively.

41 - 60 of 118 Posts