GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 14 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anybody used the pathfinder led headlight amazon has them for 100.00 ?

·
Registered
5,516 Posts
Yes, and I like them. If you do get them, get some 16" inch needle nose pliers from Harbor Fright as it makes install easier on the high beams. YMMV

·
Registered
287 Posts
I have 2 pairs installed for high and low beam operation. they are WHITE lights. They may cast light a little farther down the road, but there is increased clarity of objects in the light beam.

·
Registered
178 Posts
We have them on our 2010 Goldwing Trike. We had our servicing dealer install them when he did our air filter. We bought them from him and not Amazon. Have both high and low beam.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
My bet would be that Pathfinder imports them from China.
So your saying Pathfinder is it's own company? In other words, Pathfinder is NOT just the name of a product line, but the name of the actual company, yes?

·
Registered
88 Posts
Any Pathfinder product I've purchased came from SoCal Moto Gear (SoCalMotoGear.com - Professional Grade Motorcycle Lighting - Plug N Play - "Riding at night has never been brighter!"). I'm not sure if the Pathfinder brand is theirs, if they manufacture them, or it's just their design and they're made off shore.

Regarding installation, I just installed both high and low beams on my 2010; the low beams are really easy to get to. As far as high beams, I did mine in conjunction with an air filter this winter, the high beams were actually easier to get to than the low beams with the top shelter off. If you can hold off on the high beams until you have to pull the shelter, it makes things much easier. Another thing to consider is that you have to secure the inline driver units. I zip-tied mine to the faring framework, and it was a chore; a lot of working by feel only because you can't see what you're doing.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Be careful when zipping to the fairing frame. Put in the wrong place the forks will hit them enlarging your turning radius substantially. After learning the hard way, I used foam tape and attached them to the fairing.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Be careful when zipping to the fairing frame. Put in the wrong place the forks will hit them enlarging your turning radius substantially. After learning the hard way, I used foam tape and attached them to the fairing.
Yea, I learned the hard way when I had HID headlights installed on my 1500 at Americade; I couldn't even lock my forks and had to have them move the driver boxes. I ended up reinstalling them myself when I got home; not a big fan of rally installers. On the 1800, I jacked the front end up a bit so I could swing the handlebars and mounted the drivers up out of the way of any fork movement.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I just did this install today on my '16.

I removed the highest push pins underneath the fairing and stuffed the driver and wiring up in there, then reinstalled the push pins. Appears to be out of the way of everything, plus it made for a clean installation. Did not need any adhesive.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Hi there I am just about to do the same. The high beam driver box seems tucked away nicely under the respective panels that will be put back onto the left and right shelters respectively, but the LOW beams that's what I am interested in!!!! Which fairing pieces did you pop are you able to show me on a workshop manual if I post a couple of pics or relevant pages?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
120 Posts
Sure, take a look at the pictures I provided. I am working on new Mac, and cannot figure out how to edit the color of the arrows, so please forgive them as they are hard to see. The first pic is back further from the bike in front so you can reference the general area I am showing first. Second pic shows three arrows, two pointing at the push pins up under the shelter. Those are the ones you can pop out to get access to the nice little area to place the LED headlamp drivers. The other arrow is pointing to where I stuffed the wire coming up from the fog lights, but that is about where the wire for the driver is too (not shown). The driver itself is sitting on top of the plastic piece, held in place by the two push pins.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Sure, take a look at the pictures I provided. I am working on new Mac, and cannot figure out how to edit the color of the arrows, so please forgive them as they are hard to see. The first pic is back further from the bike in front so you can reference the general area I am showing first. Second pic shows three arrows, two pointing at the push pins up under the shelter. Those are the ones you can pop out to get access to the nice little area to place the LED headlamp drivers. The other arrow is pointing to where I stuffed the wire coming up from the fog lights, but that is about where the wire for the driver is too (not shown). The driver itself is sitting on top of the plastic piece, held in place by the two push pins. View attachment 367311 View attachment 367312
Thank you so very much!

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

1 - 14 of 13 Posts