GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all y'all,

Looking for some opinions and possibly even some pics or videos from folks who have these LED Lights installed. In late Feb I am going to be taking the front fairing off, for a different project/problem and think that while I have it off and very easily accessible. That I will go ahead and switch over to LED headlights, both low and high beam.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
972 Posts
One thing that I liked on the EC install over the Pathfinder was that the rubber shroud did not have to be cut and modified because of the heat sink Pathfinders use. Although in reality, I never plan on going back to regular headlight bulbs so it's just a minor preference. Also, I thought I remember seeing where some folks were having failures with the Pathfinder bulbs but have not seen any mentions of failures on the EC bulbs. I am also biased because I have had several of the EC products and believe that Lewis Preston will work hard to make sure he has a quality product before making it available.

ETA: Apparently Pathfinder has a new design and changed their heat sink design. And these look like an exact copy of the EC design. That would be further reason for me to go with the EC.

https://cyclemax.com/inc/sdetail/gl1800_new_style_pathfinder_led_h7_headlight_kit/73/358810

https://cyclemax.com/inc/sdetail/gl1800_led_headlight_bulb_kit/302772

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Do you know what color they are and how many lumen.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the input guys. Mike, I wholeheartedly agree with you in regards to Lewis and the EC customer service, as I have several of their products as well and I was already leaning towards the EC LEDS.

Snowmoer, Thanks for that link, especially liked the link to his updated and new review of the EC and night time video of the lights actually in use. That was one that I had not seen in my original search for comparisons.

Fun42, Both sets of lights are of the 6000k color rendering aka as daylight white, and both sets of lights are 4000 lumens per bulb.

·
Registered
603 Posts
A few quick thoughts about the linked comparison. First I was the contest winner from goldwingdocs of a set of bulbs from EC. Since I was going to install on my GL1800, I needed to buy a second set. What to do?

Actual performance tests by Scott were very, very similar.

The SoCal product has what intuitively seems like a better heat sink but no quantitative data to support this.

I have had past experiences with both companies that were always positive.

Lewis from EC had agreed to provide a free set to Scott for his monthly contest but when the time came refused to answer Scott's calls or e-mails. Lewis did not respond to Gary from Cyclemax either. This was the deciding factor for me on which company to buy from. .:frown2:

So sometime in the next couple months I will have SoCal low beams and EC high beams. I am waiting for Signal Dynamics to release a LED compatible modulator (please do not go off topic on modulators - other threads already exist).

·
Registered
3 Posts
Tugging @ this light thread again a year+ later from the most recent post. Having studied the reviews & comparisons between the Pathfinder and EC LEDs, all things considered, (& there are many), I'm not seeing a clear, definitive difference to lightup my 2015 Airbag Wing. What did the OP, ziadelsol, end up getting, & how's that working out? Anyone else care to weigh in w/a clear winner, & why? Thanks!

·
Registered
7,087 Posts
No hesitation - electrical connection.

I've been in product testing and evaluation for many years, and used to do work for Valeo-Sylvania (OEM headlight manufacturer). EC's design provides for crisp, clear focused light pattern. Was just talking with @Lewis/EC two weeks ago about his lights, as I recall he said he has less than a 0.2% warranty failure rate.

You won't be disappointed with his products.

Reactions: 98valk

·
Registered
3 Posts
No hesitation - electrical connection.

I've been in product testing and evaluation for many years, and used to do work for Valeo-Sylvania (OEM headlight manufacturer). EC's design provides for crisp, clear focused light pattern. Was just talking with @Lewis/EC two weeks ago about his lights, as I recall he said he has less than a 0.2% warranty failure rate.

You won't be disappointed with his products.
I've always done well w/EC too. Thanks for the help!!!

·
Registered
603 Posts
The SoCal are easier to install. The EC has a loose shim around the bulb base. The SoCal has the shim but it's attached. Having more things to hold and balance while trying to get everything in the hole before locking the wire clip just increases the difficulty while working by feel in the dark.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Headlights or foglights? They both make both.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts