GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

· Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted this issue in the tech section, but I thought I would also toss it out here. I have had the Pathfinder Sequential LED turn signals on my bike for about a year. They work great. I purchased the Tridium light kit and installed them today. I bought the kit from Wingstuff, and they have a bold note on the site indicating that the Tridium/Pathfinder combo won't work correctly. I failed to read that.

I can find very little about my issue, and the few posts I have seen had no solution given. I like the looks of the Tridiums and think they are brighter than the Pathfinder Driving/Fog lights, particularly the daytime running lights. That being said, here is the issue. Maybe someone has overcome this or has some electrical know-how to help me figure out what to do, if anything.

The left side daytime running light is on. The right side is not. If I activate the left turn signal, the right DRL comes on. When the signal is canceled, the right side DRL stays on, but the left side goes out. If I activate the right turn signal, the left side DRL comes back on and stays on. When the right signal is canceled, the right DRL stays out. They alternate.

The turn signals work on either side. The fog lights work correctly. I have no idea why they alternate like that. It's not the end of the world. If the fog lights are on, you can't notice the DRL is not working. But you would have one-eyed driving lights if the fogs weren't on. I will either remove the Pathfinder sequential and use the Electrical Connection clear lenses and switchback bulbs or replace the Tridiums with the Pathfinder driving lights.

Thanks,

Chris

· Registered
1,189 Posts
Had those Tridium lights and they are a problem. The Tridium lights will not work with led turn signals. The only fix is to add a load resistor to the turn signals and they will work. Believe me I spent many many hours tearing into the bike trying to find the problem. I even opened the Tridium lights to see if I could mod them. No luck.
Just buy a couple of the LED load resistors or put two of the OEM turn signal bulbs back in to fix the problem. You can even leave the rear turn signals OEM / incandescent. That will work.

Reactions: V8chpr and schnits

· Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Had those Tridium lights and they are a problem. The Tridium lights will not work with led turn signals. The only fix is to add a load resistor to the turn signals and they will work. Believe me I spent many many hours tearing into the bike trying to find the problem. I even opened the Tridium lights to see if I could mod them. No luck.
Just buy a couple of the LED load resistors or put two of the OEM turn signal bulbs back in to fix the problem. You can even leave the rear turn signals OEM / incandescent. That will work.
Thank you. I went all led already front and back. I will try the load resistors. If no luck, I'll replace driving lights with pathfinder. I want to check with Electrical Connections first as they have LED front turn signals to see if they might work or if they offer a load resistor with them. They aren't fancy but appear bright.

Chris

· Registered
281 Posts
Thank you. I went all led already front and back. I will try the load resistors. If no luck, I'll replace driving lights with pathfinder. I want to check with Electrical Connections first as they have LED front turn signals to see if they might work or if they offer a load resistor with them. They aren't fancy but appear bright.

Chris
SoCal sells those load resistors for $20, by whatever brand they have in stock at the time. IMO, all these offerings are the same stuff, just branded by different names. I used a combination of Pathfinder and EC directions to install mine, and they both left a lot to be desired, but combined they weren't too bad. Some of the the Pathfinder stuff is ripped off directly from the Honda instructions!

· Registered
1,189 Posts
You can get LED turn signals with built-in resistors. That is how I finally fixed the problem on my 2017 with the Tridium.

Reactions: schnits and V8chpr

· GL1800 Doctor
22,144 Posts
I posted this issue in the tech section, but I thought I would also toss it out here. I have had the Pathfinder Sequential LED turn signals on my bike for about a year. They work great. I purchased the Tridium light kit and installed them today. I bought the kit from Wingstuff, and they have a bold note on the site indicating that the Tridium/Pathfinder combo won't work correctly. I failed to read that.

I can find very little about my issue, and the few posts I have seen had no solution given. I like the looks of the Tridiums and think they are brighter than the Pathfinder Driving/Fog lights, particularly the daytime running lights. That being said, here is the issue. Maybe someone has overcome this or has some electrical know-how to help me figure out what to do, if anything.

The left side daytime running light is on. The right side is not. If I activate the left turn signal, the right DRL comes on. When the signal is canceled, the right side DRL stays on, but the left side goes out. If I activate the right turn signal, the left side DRL comes back on and stays on. When the right signal is canceled, the right DRL stays out. They alternate.

The turn signals work on either side. The fog lights work correctly. I have no idea why they alternate like that. It's not the end of the world. If the fog lights are on, you can't notice the DRL is not working. But you would have one-eyed driving lights if the fogs weren't on. I will either remove the Pathfinder sequential and use the Electrical Connection clear lenses and switchback bulbs or replace the Tridiums with the Pathfinder driving lights.

Thanks,

Chris
The position light relay is what makes both running lights come on after a turn. It’s a 5 pin relay that uses the normally closed contacts to connect the running light power from one side to the other side after the cancel unit stops energizing it. The turn signal switch keeps power on the opposite side during a turn signal cycle and then the relay connects that power to the side that was out. Depending on which way the turn signal switch is pushed it will alternate the power back and forth from side to side. I haven’t messed with the Pathfinders to know exactly what is changed that would cause an issue with the position light relay or it’s circuit.

· Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The position light relay is what makes both running lights come on after a turn. It’s a 5 pin relay that uses the normally closed contacts to connect the running light power from one side to the other side after the cancel unit stops energizing it. The turn signal switch keeps power on the opposite side during a turn signal cycle and then the relay connects that power to the side that was out. Depending on which way the turn signal switch is pushed it will alternate the power back and forth from side to side. I haven’t messed with the Pathfinders to know exactly what is changed that would cause an issue with the position light relay or it’s circuit.
Thanks for the explanation. Now if I can figure out a fix.

· Registered
1,189 Posts
Sorry, that was 5 years ago so, I don't remember. I would suggest getting ones that claim they work with the oem flasher.
They should have the load resistor built-in.

Reactions: V8chpr

· GL1800 Doctor
22,144 Posts
I’ll just add a little. The running/position lights don’t use any part of the turn signal flasher circuit, so I don’t think load resistors will make a difference in what your symptom is doing. If someone would post or take a screen shot of the Pathfinder and the Tridium light directions, maybe I can figure out what is causing the crossed up issue.

· Registered
281 Posts
I’ll just add a little. The running/position lights don’t use any part of the turn signal flasher circuit, so I don’t think load resistors will make a difference in what your symptom is doing. If someone would post or take a screen shot of the Pathfinder and the Tridium light directions, maybe I can figure out what is causing the crossed up issue.
Pathfinder instructions for my F6B:

Attachments

· Registered
281 Posts
By the way, here is a screenshot of one of the pages I put together, to track all the combinations when I was working with SoCal to get my issues fixed. And that was with an all Pathfinders set up, front and rear.

Love the lights, hate the nonsense I went through to get them working. "Plug and Play"? Yeah, right...

Font Rectangle Parallel Number Screenshot

· Registered
3,554 Posts
It almost sounds like the Tridium lights are using a ground from an "off bulb" that incandescent bulbs provide, and it seems that a load equalizer will also provide. The real fix for this sort of issue is to electrically redesign the Tridium lights.

· GL1800 Doctor
22,144 Posts
It almost sounds like the Tridium lights are using a ground from an "off bulb" that incandescent bulbs provide, and it seems that a load equalizer will also provide. The real fix for this sort of issue is to electrically redesign the Tridium lights.
Yea, I don’t understand why they would do anything like that when the system has separate power feeds for the turn signal bulb and the running light. They only share a ground normally and the bike turns off the running light when you select the turn signal on one side or the other. The Tridiums have three wires going to them for just the turn signal and the running light functions. The fog light function has its own wires to the bike’s fog system. I’m wondering if the issue is something with the way the Pathfinders work.

· Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
A quick question for the OP. What happens when you turn on the hazard switch? What flashes and what’s on steady?
I truly appreciate everyone's help. I just went out to confirm that when the hazards are on, they operate normally, meaning both signals blink on the Tridiums as well as the Pathfinder Sequentials. To recap, the turn signal functions are normal on the Tridiums, as are the fog lights. It is strictly the daytime running lights that alternate from side to side (one is off, and the other one is on) based on which turn signal is activated. For example, when the right turn signal is on, the left running light is on. When the signal cancels, the right side running light stays on, and the left goes out, and on it goes alternating whenever you activate the opposite signal.

· GL1800 Doctor
22,144 Posts
I truly appreciate everyone's help. I just went out to confirm that when the hazards are on, they operate normally, meaning both signals blink on the Tridiums as well as the Pathfinder Sequentials. To recap, the turn signal functions are normal on the Tridiums, as are the fog lights. It is strictly the daytime running lights that alternate from side to side (one is off, and the other one is on) based on which turn signal is activated. For example, when the right turn signal is on, the left running light is on. When the signal cancels, the right side running light stays on, and the left goes out, and on it goes alternating whenever you activate the opposite signal.
This really sounds like your position light relay has dirty contacts or it’s been swapped with a 4 pin instead of the 5 pin that is required. It’s under your seat in the relay bank if you want to check it. It should be a 5 pin and it should be energized while the turn signals are activated and de-energize when the turn signals are canceled. The relay is on the left in this diagram. The orange/white and blue/white wires are from the running/position lights. You can see how they are connected to each other when the relay is de-energized. One part of the turn signal switch is the source of power for whichever side you don’t choose during a turn and then the relay connects the powered side to the other side when the cancel unit stops running the flasher relay. The power switches from one side to the other depending on which way the turns were last activated. When you locate the relay, if it’s a 5 pin like it should be, pull it out and insert a jumper wire between these two wires, then turn on your key. Both running lights should be on, then try it with the relay reinstalled.

· Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
This really sounds like your position light relay has dirty contacts or it’s been swapped with a 4 pin instead of the 5 pin that is required. It’s under your seat in the relay bank if you want to check it. It should be a 5 pin and it should be energized while the turn signals are activated and de-energize when the turn signals are canceled.
I'll definitely try that. Thanks again.

Chris

1 - 20 of 29 Posts