GL1800Riders Forums banner
21 - 30 of 30 Posts

· Registered
1,190 Posts
Here we go again. Put the OEM lights back in the rear turn signals. If the Tridiums work right than a load resistor will fix the problem.
As I said in a previous post, I have been there, done that. But if you want to continue to waste time be my quest.

Reactions: V8chpr

· Registered
1,190 Posts
Switching the rear turn signals is just a test. If they work that way, then a load resistor will fix the problem. Then replace OEMs with the LEDs in the rear and add a load resistor. Also, have you read the fine print on the Tridiums. It states they will not, repeat not, work with LED turn signals.
We went through this same issue a few years ago with the same results. Have fun, it is your time and your money.

Reactions: V8chpr

· Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Switching the rear turn signals is just a test. If they work that way, then a load resistor will fix the problem. Then replace OEMs with the LEDs in the rear and add a load resistor. Also, have you read the fine print on the Tridiums. It states they will not, repeat not, work with LED turn signals.
We went through this same issue a few years ago with the same results. Have fun, it is your time and your money.
I understand. So, to be clear, you replaced your rear leds with oem, Tridiums worked correctly, and then you replaced the oem in the rear with the leds plus a load resistor, and all is well?

As stated in my OP, I did NOT, repeat did NOT, see the note stating the Tridiums won't work with led turn signals. I would have made a different choice, I'm certain, had I researched the forums before buying.

Thanks for your suggestions. I've got time and I love a challenge. The worse case scenario is me replacing the Tridiums with the Pathfinder turn/run/fogs that will work with their sequential led turn signals, and make a non led turn signal GW rider a good deal on brand new Tridiums.

· GL1800 Doctor
22,147 Posts
I also understand that some LEDs don’t work well with others and the OEM flasher due to loading issues, but the running lights are not part of the flasher circuit and bare no weight when it comes to the flasher and the effect that multiple LEDs have on the circuit. Please let me know what you find with the position light relay. I added a schematic and a few more things to my earlier post. (y)

· Registered
2012 Goldwing Level 3 Red and Silver
689 Posts
Okay guys, I'll get in the game. I replaced my 08 with a 12 in October. The 12 definitely has LED turn signals on the front. I had them on the 08 and the PO had them on the 12. I do not know the brand. The 12 did not have fog lights when I took ownership. Wing Stuff happen to have the Tridiums at $100 off around Christmas. Even though there was a disclaimer that the signals would not work if you had LED signals on the bike, I ordered them any way. I installed them and all works as the should. Not sure why! I was prepared to use them without the signals but haven't had to. They are top notch so far.

· Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
This really sounds like your position light relay has dirty contacts or it’s been swapped with a 4 pin instead of the 5 pin that is required. It’s under your seat in the relay bank if you want to check it. It should be a 5 pin and it should be energized while the turn signals are activated and de-energize when the turn signals are canceled. The relay is on the left in this diagram. The orange/white and blue/white wires are from the running/position lights. You can see how they are connected to each other when the relay is de-energized. One part of the turn signal switch is the source of power for whichever side you don’t choose during a turn and then the relay connects the powered side to the other side when the cancel unit stops running the flasher relay. The power switches from one side to the other depending on which way the turns were last activated. When you locate the relay, if it’s a 5 pin like it should be, pull it out and insert a jumper wire between these two wires, then turn on your key. Both running lights should be on, then try it with the relay reinstalled.

Awesome! I will give that a try as soon as I can. Thank you very much for your help!

Chris

· Registered
172 Posts
I posted this issue in the tech section, but I thought I would also toss it out here. I have had the Pathfinder Sequential LED turn signals on my bike for about a year. They work great. I purchased the Tridium light kit and installed them today. I bought the kit from Wingstuff, and they have a bold note on the site indicating that the Tridium/Pathfinder combo won't work correctly. I failed to read that.

I can find very little about my issue, and the few posts I have seen had no solution given. I like the looks of the Tridiums and think they are brighter than the Pathfinder Driving/Fog lights, particularly the daytime running lights. That being said, here is the issue. Maybe someone has overcome this or has some electrical know-how to help me figure out what to do, if anything.

The left side daytime running light is on. The right side is not. If I activate the left turn signal, the right DRL comes on. When the signal is canceled, the right side DRL stays on, but the left side goes out. If I activate the right turn signal, the left side DRL comes back on and stays on. When the right signal is canceled, the right DRL stays out. They alternate.

The turn signals work on either side. The fog lights work correctly. I have no idea why they alternate like that. It's not the end of the world. If the fog lights are on, you can't notice the DRL is not working. But you would have one-eyed driving lights if the fogs weren't on. I will either remove the Pathfinder sequential and use the Electrical Connection clear lenses and switchback bulbs or replace the Tridiums with the Pathfinder driving lights.

Thanks,

Chris
I had the same problem with trying to run Pathfinder led rectangle fog lights, and led turn signal leds. The turn leds would not light up, so I went back to incandescent turn signal bulbs. I am thinking about replacing then with leds and installed load resistors.

· Registered
172 Posts
Okay guys, I'll get in the game. I replaced my 08 with a 12 in October. The 12 definitely has LED turn signals on the front. I had them on the 08 and the PO had them on the 12. I do not know the brand. The 12 did not have fog lights when I took ownership. Wing Stuff happen to have the Tridiums at $100 off around Christmas. Even though there was a disclaimer that the signals would not work if you had LED signals on the bike, I ordered them any way. I installed them and all works as the should. Not sure why! I was prepared to use them without the signals but haven't had to. They are top notch so far.
The previous owner had to install leds in your 12 before you purchase it.
Because my 12 and a friends 12 did not come with leds in the turn signals.

· Registered
2012 Goldwing Level 3 Red and Silver
689 Posts
The previous owner had to install leds in your 12 before you purchase it.
Because my 12 and a friends 12 did not come with leds in the turn signals.
Yep, I was aware they were aftermarket. I just don't know the brand. I don't even know the brand that I installed in the 08. A friend asked me if I wanted them and I told him you bet.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts