GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just replaced my low beam E/C LEDs with Pathfinder LEDs and they look very similar to me. They both scatter a significant amount of light, and they are both significantly brighter than OEMs. They also seem to be very similar in color. Installation is also very similar since Pathfinder stopped using the ribbon heat sink.

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Wrong again

I got out on the road tonight with the Pathfinder LEDs and found that it does not have nearly as sharp a vertical cutoff as the E/C lights do. The cutoff is very indistinct with the Pathfinders. I did not get flashed using them tonight, but I was really wishing for my E/C lights back.

·
Registered
785 Posts
And therein lies one of the disadvantages of replacing halogen headlight bulbs with LEDs. The headlight reflector is designed to work with the halogen bulb to deliver a specific kind of light pattern. AS I UNDERSTAND IT, LEDs, when used with a reflector designed for halogen bulbs, won't project the light pattern the lighting engineers intended.

I have numerous moto friends who have replaced their halogen headlight bulbs with LEDs (mostly on BMW RTs), and they seem happy, though most have done this retrofit more for increased daytime conspicuity, not for better light for night riding.

I imagine it's a hit or miss proposition as to whether replacing halogen headlight bulbs with LEDs results in a useable light pattern for night riding, or not.

Terry, what do you intend to do? Keep one of the LED conversions? Or go back to the halogen bulbs?

Tim

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
LEDs

And therein lies one of the disadvantages of replacing halogen headlight bulbs with LEDs. The headlight reflector is designed to work with the halogen bulb to deliver a specific kind of light pattern. AS I UNDERSTAND IT, LEDs, when used with a reflector designed for halogen bulbs, won't project the light pattern the lighting engineers intended.

I have numerous moto friends who have replaced their halogen headlight bulbs with LEDs (mostly on BMW RTs), and they seem happy, though most have done this retrofit more for increased daytime conspicuity, not for better light for night riding.

I imagine it's a hit or miss proposition as to whether replacing halogen headlight bulbs with LEDs results in a useable light pattern for night riding, or not.

Terry, what do you intend to do? Keep one of the LED conversions? Or go back to the halogen bulbs?

Tim
BTW: Before I used the LEDs, I tried HIDs and did not like them nearly as well.

I have not used halogen bulbs for several years. I’ll ride with these bulbs the rest of this year and then replace them with the E/Cs that I had been using. The E/Cs do not have as good a cutoff as halogen bulbs do, but it is not terrible. I simply could not get the E/C bulbs here in time for my trip after the “mechanic” worked on my airbag. I have no idea how he killed the LED, but it was working when I took it to him and when he was finished it did not work.

My intention is to not only keep using LEDs, I’m going to add more. I’m going to put some LED lights under my mirrors and am going to install some form of yellow lenses on my current LED cowl lights. I’ll put a dimmer on the under mirror lights so I can use them with my low beams both in the daytime and at night. The ones I’m looking at are 5000 lumens at full power. That is too bright to use with anything but my bright lights.

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Another difference

I also found out that the E/C and Pathfinder LEDs have a different aim point. If I lower the Pathfinders to be more "normal" the high beam E/Cs are way too low. Grrr.

·
Registered
887 Posts
My intention is to not only keep using LEDs, I’m going to add more. I’m going to put some LED lights under my mirrors and am going to install some form of yellow lenses on my current LED cowl lights. I’ll put a dimmer on the under mirror lights so I can use them with my low beams both in the daytime and at night. The ones I’m looking at are 5000 lumens at full power. That is too bright to use with anything but my bright lights.
My Bike --

Reactions: networkguy3
1 - 6 of 6 Posts