GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did my first mission with the Patriot Gaurd today. Wow, what a moving experience. If you have never done one, you should. There were 400 bikes that showed up for Master Sgt. Deghands funeral today and since it was in Topeka Kansas, the Fred Phelps cult was there. It was real hard to stomach those guys as they do about anything to lure you into a conflict, which is what they want for the publicity. We stood there and held our flags with pride and just turned our backs on the protesters when they came by. My daughter who is in the Marines just finished her first tour over in Iraq, can't imagine what that family is going through. Anyway just wanted to say it was neat to see so many people gather to honor a soldier who gave his all. God Bless our military

Jerry

·
Registered
164 Posts
Jerry. Glad to hear that you went. I have been on 3 and will go anytime I am notified about one that is do-able. Be sure to register on their website if you havent already so you are on their emailing list to get notified of the ones in your area.

One ride I went on was to welcome home some soldiers. It is just as emotional as the funeral ones so I recommend you try one of those too.

That scumbag religious group makes me sick.

Rick

G

·
RickM said:

Rick
Except they're not religious, they are arrogant self-rightous fanatics that make alot of people think their type of heartless nonsense is what real God loving folks are about.

I love the fact that they are finally being stood up to. The facts that it's by bikers is all the more inspiring.

Pat

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Thank you for standing up for our fallen and placing yourself between the family and... those people.

I, too, ride when I can. It's moving and worthwhile! My first ride must have had 150 bikes. After the initial assembly, we didn't need the police to provide traffic control because cars were stopping and waiting for us to pass.

Another ride left me somewhat teary eyed (must have been something in the air). Golfers paused and removed their hats until the procession passed. People came out of their houses, some crying, all amazed at the sight.

My last ride was through "small town America" and talk about emotional! People lined the street holding their Flags and holding their hands over their hearts as we passed in procession with our Flags. One lady who was at least a hundred years old, stood at the end of her driveway, no shade, no trees, and 90+ degrees waiting for the funeral procession.

My favorite ride was when the road captain instructed everyone to "ride away quietly" because we had to depart during the church service. I asked him if he wanted the Goldwings to show him how it's done. He just laughed. ;)

:flg:

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Freakin ACLU and Judges. What a waste of a spine!

Well... if I was at that funeral and those worthless excuses for a human showed up, I'd probably end up in jail myself. You know they are gonna try and get right up there and disrupt things. There will be some butt kicking...you wait and see.

Can't even let the families grieve in peace.

Dep

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
RickM said:

Rick
With all respect, I applaud them. They were the catalyst for the Patriot Guard being created - and that good far surpasses the bad that the lunatic fringe has managed to manifest.

·
Registered
8,923 Posts
Good for you Jerry,

The rides I've been on have moved me beyond words. :flg:

later..Randy

·
Registered
8,923 Posts
JP3 said:
RickM said:

Rick
With all respect, I applaud them. They were the catalyst for the Patriot Guard being created - and that good far surpasses the bad that the lunatic fringe has managed to manifest.
JP3,

I disagree, If you applaud the Phelps clan, you dishonor the fallen heroes. :cry:

The Patriot Guard would have arrived on the scene without the Phelps clan.

later..Randy

·
Registered
781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I don't think JP3 is a Phelps fan, I think he is saying if it wasn't for the Phelps scum, you would have probably never seen the patriot gaurd form and it has brought back a lot of patriotism to our country, they have been on every news channel around the country. One of the things that was said to us when we were standing there, was that these guys are protesting the very thing that they supposedly believe in and that is Christianity. They are such a joke but when these idiots yell at the top of their longs that they are happy another soldier is dead and in hell, it is very hard to keep your cool, but we did. The patriot guard is a very well organized and top notch group of people that are there to honor the one who gave his or her all.

·
Registered
4,179 Posts
Been a PGR member since last December and have done around 15 missions, one 330 miles away. I've cried at all of them but one, they are that powerful to me. I rode through a couple of miles of people standing side by side holding flags to honor a small town hero and damn near had to stop.

I've got another one as soon as I get off work at 8AM. I rode my wing to work with my flag pole mounted and a change of clothes.

Damn war...

·
Registered
703 Posts
I'm starting to see something that makes me proud....Goldwingers becoming Patriot Guard Riders. The first mission I went on I bet out of 250 bikes, there were only 5 wings. Now I've seen more at other missions I've attended. This is wonderful. I have to admit, the rumble of the big bore bikes make people stand to see what's coming. Then they see all those flags and they can't help but feel the warm feeling cover their body.

I'm hoping the word gets out that everyone can attend and hold a flag. Directing folks to www.patriotguard.org is the best way to educate the public.

I would hope I would not need to attend another Hero's funeral, but we know as the war on terror continues, we will see fallen hero's come home. Let us not forget all our veterans who need to be given the same respect.

I thank all the veterans of this board for your service. As a veteran myself, I understand our frustration as our heros returned from Viet Nam. It's time to give the respect they all deserve.

God bless you all.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts