GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Topic Link

I found this discussion about the Patriot Guard on another board. Seems the Westboro Baptist Church is at it again! I say how sick can these people be?

I support all of our men and women in the military and also wish our troops a quick and safe return. May God bless them.

·
Registered
261 Posts
I am not part of the Patriot Guard Riders but we (Rolling Thunder NH) are always invited to their Guard activities. The idea is really great and the familys that invite the Guard are very appreciative. It's nice to see patriotism and honor for our fallen brothers and sisters coming home.

FF

·
Registered
781 Posts
I attended the funeral in Topeka this week and the people from Westboro Baptist church are the scumiest of the scum. To give you an example, while protesting, they are yelling at the top of their lungs, Whew Hoooo, another soldier is dead and another soldier in Hell. Then they would call us names trying to get us to do something. I am sorry but that is not freedom of speech. That is disorderly conduct or something and no one will do anything cause they don't want to get sued. Makes me sick.

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
nwkshusker said:
I attended the funeral in Topeka this week and the people from Westboro Baptist church are the scumiest of the scum. To give you an example, while protesting, they are yelling at the top of their lungs, Whew Hoooo, another soldier is dead and another soldier in Hell. Then they would call us names trying to get us to do something. I am sorry but that is not freedom of speech. That is disorderly conduct or something and no one will do anything cause they don't want to get sued. Makes me sick.
Stupidity is not illegal, but it certainly can test the patience of the most virtuous at times.

Don't let the WBC people cause you to lose your temper. If you do, they have achieved what they set out to accomplish.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
We attended the Flight 93 Memorial in Shanksville, PA on September 11th. Those scum were there. Fortunately the site is a National Memorial so the National Park people were able to keep them off the property and away from the family members and others attending.

The people walking down to the memorial were enraged by the protesters - the National Parks people directed everyone across the road and said, just ignore them and keep walking.

At the end of the memorial the scum were gone.

I love this country and enjoy my freedom of speech and freedom of religion. It is difficult to stomach the downside to these freedoms when the scum interrupt funerals of military people who make their freedoms possible.

·
Registered
3,305 Posts
Freedom cerainly does have a cost. Not only in the lives of those who have sacrificed all in the military, but in how we allow those who wish to destroy our freedoms to affect those freedoms. The positive side is that we still live in a country that has freedom of speech, freedom of religion, and essentially freedom to pursue a sense of well-being in our society. The negative side is expressed by the WBC folks who abuse their freedoms, knowing that for the most part they can get away with it. It leaves us with some choices. We either continue to allow folks walking on the negative side to erode our freedoms through well-meaning, but intrusive, legislation, or we agree to take the hits to our society that will be inevitable if the former is not done. It's like talking out of both sides of your mouth at the same time. One one side, you will criticize government for passing laws that "protect us from ourselves." On the other we will bemoan the risks that the government allows to exist because they aren't passing legislation to curb that kind of behavior.

My concern, although biblically expected, is that organizations such as WBC bring a bad name to Christianity. Believe me, these are a radical sect of the same genre as any militant Muslim in that they are using the most public way of getting society to notice them. My Bible tells me that this kind of behavior is sinful and not honoring to God or Christianity as a whole. But Jesus spoke of this in the parable of the wheat and tares. His answer? Wait until judgment day and all things will be sorted out.

But there are many of us who don't want to wait until judgment day. We want to employ that instant gratification so prevalent in our society and do something now! And so it goes, seesawing back and forth between the two sides - and governmental leaders caught in the middle, trying to protect our freedoms while trying to protect us. If you would like to take part in that exercise, let me respectfully suggest you run for some office on that platform and see how far it gets you.

Mesquite Bob

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I agree with you Bob. Our freedoms do have to be carefully balanced.

It bothers me that people of supposed Christian faith could skew their interpretation of that faith to this extreme and push the limits of those freedoms, but I guess that is what makes this country great. I don't necessarily agree with all you say, and you don't have to agree with me, but we are both free to express those opinions.

You are also correct in saying that the fanaticism shown by WBC is not any different than that shown by fanatical Muslims. As with the Muslims, most of the people who observe the WBC in action have a hard time separating the fanatics from the majority and base their opinions of the faith as a whole on the actions of a few.

I wonder what the members of WBC do when one of their own passes on? Hopefully, they'll show their own the same respect that they show for all the servicemen and women killed in defense of their freedoms. (that was a satirical statement for those who may have misread it).

To know that they will be sorted out at judgement day is of little consolation, I would guess, to the grieving family, and my hat is off to all who have held their temper and "turned the other cheek" when faced with this. I'm not sure if I could, and I'm NOT a violent person.

JMHO

·
Registered
233 Posts
Believe me when I tell you that the people from the Westboro Baptist Church are not Baptist. They are nuts! :flg:

G

·
0 Posts
Boat Driver said:
I found this discussion about the Patriot Guard on another board. Seems the Westboro Baptist Church is at it again! I say how sick can these people be?
Are they sick because of their anti-gay stance or their actions at military funerals or both?

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
SPF 0 said:
Are they sick because of their anti-gay stance or their actions at military funerals or both?
I really care nothing of whether a person is gay or not. It makes no difference to me. It does matter that the grieving families of those who lost their lives fighting for our freedoms have to endure this disrespectful tirade by a bunch of loonies at the moment they need our respect the most.

And it isn't about whether someone has the right to speak out, but that they, and I'm guessing at this, do not practice the same intimidation tactics and spew the same vile garbage at the funerals of their parishioners.

What's fair is fair, right? What would their reaction be if the tables were turned?

·
Registered
261 Posts
I think anyone, regardless of faith, who disturbs another family when they are mourning the death of a loved one is rude, uncaring, insensitive, and completely out of social acceptance. Couple that with a judgement that the loved one will be doomed in Hell, which is the supposition of the Creator's will. I am a really smart guy but I do not know what God intends for anyone after they pass. Gay or otherwise, it's not my judgement call it's God's and God's only. SO how do these people justify their condemnation of another human being?

I support the Patriot Guard and will ride with them whenever I am invited. These people have to be leagally prevented from harassing the mourning family.

FF

1 - 11 of 11 Posts