H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Driver fiddling with radio slams into propane tank in North Lauderdale

BY Macollvie Jean-Francois
sun-sentinel.com
Posted December 13 2006, 9:55 AM EST

NORTH LAUDERDALE – A driver presetting stations on the radio of his new SUV veered off the road Wednesday morning and slammed into a 300-pound propane tank, rupturing it.

No one was injured but firefighters and police evacuated more than 100 people at the Palm Collision Center and shut down the business and a neighboring shopping center and used car lot for about 45 minutes as HazMat workers quickly stabilized the situation, said city Fire Rescue Lt. Kevin Mulqueen. There was no fire or explosion.

LocalLinks

Driver Michael Rocco, 38, of Margate, was not injured in the crash that occurred on the 800 block of South State Road 7/U.S. 441 when he made a U-turn shortly after 8 a.m. His recently purchased red 2002 Chevy Blazer received some front-end damage in the crash.

"Stupid me," said Rocco, who said he was presetting radio stations when he veered off the road and hit the tank. "I feel like an idiot."

AmeriGas workers were brought in to repair the damage to the tank.

The businesses reopened around 9:25 a.m.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Hal @ Honda Direct Line said:
Driver fiddling with radio slams into propane tank in North Lauderdale ...

"Stupid me," said Rocco, who said he was presetting radio stations when he veered off the road and hit the tank. "I feel like an idiot."
there is a good reason he feels that way.

·
Registered
20,955 Posts
can happen pretty easy

hopefully he will remember the lesson so something worse doesn't happen

i bet this kind of thing happens way more often than we hear about but gets blamed on other things

·
Dangerous Old Lady Biker
5,677 Posts
He says he feels like an idiot?? Duh...he IS an idiot!!! LOL...lucky nothing worse happened...I think we can all learn from these types of incidents and I know for myself, I have been guilty of musical activity while driving and riding...but MAN!! not setting the presets!!!!

·
Registered
3,305 Posts
You guys aren't missing the point here, are you? I know I've been distracted a time or two by something with the GPS, XM or built-in radio, or a dozen other things, rather than paying attention to my driving.

At my age, I can't afford to do that anymore - I break too easily. I'm guessing Hal posted this as a subtle (or not-so-subtle) warning to not fiddle with appliances when driving - an SUV or a bike, doesn't matter.

Mesquite Bob

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Here's something I think about when I see some of those GL1800's with enough brackets and mounts with gadgets that resembles the **** pit of a 747.

Not for me thank you

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Hal @ Honda Direct Line said:
Driver fiddling with radio slams into propane tank in North Lauderdale

BY Macollvie Jean-Francois
sun-sentinel.com
Posted December 13 2006, 9:55 AM EST

NORTH LAUDERDALE – A driver presetting stations on the radio of his new SUV veered off the road Wednesday morning and slammed into a 300-pound propane tank, rupturing it.

No one was injured but firefighters and police evacuated more than 100 people at the Palm Collision Center and shut down the business and a neighboring shopping center and used car lot for about 45 minutes as HazMat workers quickly stabilized the situation, said city Fire Rescue Lt. Kevin Mulqueen. There was no fire or explosion.

LocalLinks

Driver Michael Rocco, 38, of Margate, was not injured in the crash that occurred on the 800 block of South State Road 7/U.S. 441 when he made a U-turn shortly after 8 a.m. His recently purchased red 2002 Chevy Blazer received some front-end damage in the crash.

AmeriGas workers were brought in to repair the damage to the tank.

The businesses reopened around 9:25 a.m.
Yes your point is clear. We need to be careful and pull our head out of... Well, you know what I'm say’n.
I grew up in So Fla. I know how people drive there. I feel for you and my other friends that live there. I read a story of a woman the hit a couple on a bike on the Don Shula Express way merging onto the Palmetto expressway. She was yakking on a phone when she rear-ended the bike. The bike exploded, erupting in flames killing the two riders. She got off with a slap on the wrist. This happed in 99 or Y2K. Maybe you remember hearing about it?

Be Alert! :!: :!:
We Need More Lerts :!: :!: :!:

Van 8)

·
Registered
369 Posts
That Damn tank just jumped out in front of him. The point of Hal's message was clearly to warn us abut these wiley propane tanks. Don't forget about the sneaky utility poles, trees and fences either. :a13:

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
TNace said:
That Damn tank just jumped out in front of him. The point of Hal's message was clearly to warn us abut these wiley propane tanks. Don't forget about the sneaky utility poles, trees and fences either. :a13:
Ponds and lakes too :p

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
A few years back we had a girl driver that killed 2 or 3 bicyclists up on a mountain road wile she was fumbling around reaching in the back seat for some CDs.
Needless tragedy. :(

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
nedro said:
A few years back we had a girl driver that killed 2 or 3 bicyclists up on a mountain road wile she was fumbling around reaching in the back seat for some CDs.
Needless tragedy. :(
Did she get the CD's?................sorry just a bad case of PMS.

·
Registered
5,015 Posts
I know I will take this to heart. I know for a fact everyday that I drive I do not put my full attention to the road. Somebody calls me, changing radio stations, looking at paper work etc. We all do it everyday. I think we all just need to be a little more "In Tune" to our driving. Thanks Hal.

·
Registered
4,751 Posts
Thats the reason i like hondas nav you cant dick with while riding. I go riding to enjoy not to answer a phone or reprogam some latest and greatest do dad. Some folks just cant leave the daily bull $hit behind.

·
Registered
416 Posts
<<< GUILTY :oops:

It's only tupperware :wink:

·
Registered
8,271 Posts
Toyo said:
I know I will take this to heart. I know for a fact everyday that I drive I do not put my full attention to the road. Somebody calls me, changing radio stations, looking at paper work etc. We all do it everyday. I think we all just need to be a little more "In Tune" to our driving. Thanks Hal.
No, we all don't do it. But I'm glad more are at least considering that they need to take this to heart.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Ya know what I see here - or, really, what I DON'T see here???

NO ONE has said "There needs to be a law banning the use of radios in moving vehicles!"

Where are all the "there oughta be a law!" people???

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
80% of all crashes are driver error. :(

·
Registered
7,040 Posts
Thanks, Hal! Things like this can be a wake up call!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts