GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Banned
8,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With the devaluation of the dollar and hyperinflation, a new Goldwing will be over $40,000 before you know it. If you have cash on hand, might be a good investment to buy a 2010 in a crate and store it away for a couple of years. You might double your money. One thing is for sure, stuff is going to be a hell of a lot more valuable than cash pretty soon.

Think about this. How much would a brand new 2007 Level 3 Goldwing be worth today with zero miles? Probably $19,000? I paid $19,400 for mine brand new in 2006. That's only a $400 loss over the past 6 years. That would be a hell of lot better than the loss I have taken on cash in the bank.

·
Banned
8,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hyperinflation??
I paid $4,600 for a Bushtec GL Sport in 2007. Same trailer today is well over $6,000.

I paid $19,400 for my 2007 Goldwing Level 3. Same bike today, with discount $24,000.

What do you call that?

It is well documented that if the government used the same metrics for calculating inflation today as they used in the 70s we are above 10% annual inflation. But now they don't include energy prices, food, etc. in their calculations.

·
Banned
7,603 Posts
Your thinking is somewhat flawed in that the value of a 0 miles vehicle does not normally appreciate over time unless it is a rare, sought after model for some reason.
It just wouldn't depreciate as much as one with miles of use on it.

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
My thought is, that if Honda does make a "New" model for '13 or '14, the current models will de-valuate quicker than a Russian war bond during the cold war!

A hedge against inflation today, is a moving target and less certain than a family member leaving you a large inheritance.

Even in business, there are no more "Home-runs". One has got to fair, work hard, be honest, just to stay alive in business. Unless of course you are the US Government or Bernie Madoff,

Bulldog

·
Registered
3,603 Posts
Considering you can get a new Wing for under 20k now, the expectation of one to be nearly double that within a reasonable amount of time so as to warrant it as an "investment" now is baseless. You will likely be dead from natural causes before the Wing hits 40k.

·
Registered
396 Posts
With the devaluation of the dollar and hyperinflation, a new Goldwing will be over $40,000 before you know it. If you have cash on hand, might be a good investment to buy a 2010 in a crate and store it away for a couple of years. You might double your money. One thing is for sure, stuff is going to be a hell of a lot more valuable than cash pretty soon.

Think about this. How much would a brand new 2007 Level 3 Goldwing be worth today with zero miles? Probably $19,000? I paid $19,400 for mine brand new in 2006. That's only a $400 loss over the past 6 years. That would be a hell of lot better than the loss I have taken on cash in the bank.
Pass on that Goldwing investment. Also you should swap banks.

...louie

·
Registered
349 Posts
Unless something with wheels turns out to be a true classic, appreciation of value is not what happens, 99% of the time it is just the opposite.

·
Registered
21,024 Posts

your dreaming again ! :wrong:

·
Banned
8,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So, the fact that a 2012 new Bushtec trailer is 25% to 30% more than mine was in 2007 does NOT make mine worth more on the used market today?

·
Registered
512 Posts
cruiseman,

that is a good thought,, but from what i have been reading / hearing so much lately in regards to realistic figures from old timer ,life long financial people is that if / when the fed stops 'printing' make believe money, covering the trillions of outstanding mortgage debt that the multitude of tier one banks are floating right now,i reckon their won't be anything worth much in regards to $$$ value.
it's a sad fact,,,but IS a fact in deed.
who knows how far out this will be,,,but there is finally a time when all of the pushing credit out to everyone that can sign their name to a loan they know will never get paid off is finally here to anty up.
all that is left here in the states are government jobs,, and how much tax base money do these jobs generate compared 'to the good ol days' when there were heavy private enterprise industry scattered across the states pumping major dollars back to the feds( to waste),,,:( ?
this is not to say that the still alive service related jobs do pump some tax money in,,, but in time,,,these will dwindel as well,,and am seeing this more and more,,,as each recent year goes by. drive through any small/middle sized town. vacant buildings more and more... shopping malls...vacant shingles big time!
just my 2 cents... but,,,what do i know.....?
hope im wrong... i sound like gloom and doom,,but think i realistic,too.

take care,
bc

·
Premium Member
12,496 Posts
..might be a good investment to buy a 2010 in a crate and store it away for a couple of years.
... lol ...
haha.... hummm... I can just hear the pitch now...

... in his sweetest happy valentines day voice... he says...
"YEAAAAHH HONNEEYY...
NOOOO....it's not another bike for ME..
..it's an INVESTMENT for US!!!

:joke:

Dennis

·
Banned
8,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
... lol ...
haha.... hummm... I can just hear the pitch now...

... in his sweetest happy valentines day voice... he says...
"YEAAAAHH HONNEEYY...
NOOOO....it's not another bike for ME..
..it's an INVESTMENT for US!!!

:joke:

Dennis
See, that is exactly where I was going with this!

·
Banned
939 Posts
true that

A good bike is like a good pair of shoes.

I learned with shoes years ago and have always bought four pairs when I find a style that fits just right.

I concure with you if you have the storage space, but not as an investment necessarily.

Just imagine if you could give your grandson or son a "new" in the crate 2010 last run of the Ohio plant wing in say 20 years.

Heck all of his buddies will be rideing around on newly federally mandated under
90cc mopeds.

He might not be able to aford to insure it nor put fuel in it (might be a good idea to stash a few gold coins under the seat) but if he can, the look in your eyes and the grin on his face will make compound interest look like child's play.

I think the 2010 airbag (only in yellow of course) will indeed appreciate in value if kept in showroom quality.

It has lots going for it last of the great line that had a first the air bag

·
Registered
5,173 Posts
Your thinking is somewhat flawed in that the value of a 0 miles vehicle does not normally appreciate over time unless it is a rare, sought after model for some reason.
It just wouldn't depreciate as much as one with miles of use on it.
:agree:

What he said. Also, don't forget that the GW that costs $40k X number of years from now will certainly be a much more advanced motorcycle than today's bike.

·
Banned
8,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I think most of you are missing my point. Let's say you have $20,000 cash in the bank right now. You can buy a brand new Goldwing and put it in the garage. In 5 years, a brand new Goldwing will be $40,000. If you don't buy the Goldwing today, you will still have $20,000 in the bank, but it will only buy you 1/2 of a Goldwing in 5 years.

A new 2012 is about 25% more than what I paid in 2007. I am saying that even if America does not default on its debt, which is inevitable at some point, a new Goldwing will climb to $40k. They are already talking about QE3! That means runaway inflation, even worse than what we have now.

Your money is worth more now than it will ever be in the future, most likely. So, you are better off spending it rather than saving it.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts