GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a question for someone that is familiar with the details of how to "cancel" a transaction in PayPal. Here's the details; you transfer money to someone else's PayPal account and then need to cancel the transaction (for whatever reason) before it is "claimed" by the "recipient". How do you go back in and "cancel" this transaction and "reclaim" your money (put it back to your credit card, bank account, etc)?

Thanks!!

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Just go in and click on cancel. Prolly takes a couple days to be credited back to your cc.

S

·
0 Posts
Once the payment is accepted by the other party you loose the option to cancel and have to file a dispute with paypal and then the payment goes into limbo for a while - eventually you will get your money but it's like waiting for rebates to show up.
Keep in mind eBay owns paypal so they do not own a phone and you can't call them you can only do endless emails. Sorry :-(

·
Registered
5,861 Posts
Once the payment is accepted by the other party you loose the option to cancel and have to file a dispute with paypal and then the payment goes into limbo for a while - eventually you will get your money but it's like waiting for rebates to show up.
Keep in mind eBay owns paypal so they do not own a phone and you can't call them you can only do endless emails. Sorry :-(
+1 That is true :wrong::coffee1::eek:4:

·
Registered
713 Posts
I ONLY use Visa (or another CC) as payment on Paypal. It's a secondary backup if the deal goes bad. You have 30 days to dispute a transaction with Visa and THEY are on the Cardholders' side from the beginning. The other party must prove the transaction was legitimate.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
I'm not sure where you guys are looking, but as soon as you log in to paypal, there's a customer service phone number Big as life right in the upper right hand corner. Calling them is Very Easy.

S

·
0 Posts
The only problem with the call is you get lip service from someone reading a script - no real solution in general - the Visa or MC method is smart as you can block the payment much easier than a bank transfer (plus the bank stop pay is $25)

·
Registered
3,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Doesn't the recipient have to "withdraw" the money for it to be "accepted"; i.e. just setting there without being accessed by the recipient doesn't constitute "acceptance" does it? I've never tried to cancel a payment, but am trying to help out a person cancel a transaction that sent me money that I've never "accepted" (withdrawn). Thanks for the info.

·
Resident BBQ Expert
13,862 Posts
IF the other party is new to paypal, and actualy needs to claim the money, theres a cancel option on the details page

yes there is a number to call, and believe ot or not, the people i have talked to over the years, are actualy somewhat helpful

as far as trying to get the money back, after its been claimed or actualy in the other persons account, that is a little tricky

a good scammer would remove the money and not have any balance left, therefore even if you win the dispute, you get ZERO anyhow

if you used a decent credit card, yes you can do a chargeback, but thats pretty iffy as well

debit cards, or using the balance in ones paypal account, give yoyu almost zero chance to get a return

never use the balance in your account on any iffy transaction, draw the money out, and use a good credit card

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Like I said in my first response to you, click on cancel and it is done!

Don't be bashful, just do it.:nojoke:

·
Registered
3,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Seems we've gotten it squared away now. Neither of us (the seller or buyer) had ever used PayPal enough to know what to do in an oddball situation. Thanks for all your help!!!

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
:agree: with Roadking522:biker:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts