GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
871 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

Please thank a veteran today if you see one. I'm not old enough to have been in WWII, but my dad told me a lot of stories.

This is one of those historical events that the current wave of PC police would rather forget about.

I do not think we should ever forget.

Don't get me wrong. I don't blame any person of Japanese decent for what their grandfathers did anymore than I expect an American indian to blame me for something my great grandfather did. It's just that the circumstances that existed at that time need to be remembered lest they happen again.

After all, where would we all be without Honda??

Lance

·
Registered
393 Posts
There was a interview on the local news here last night with Kermitt Tyler. I had never heard his story before. Very interesting and a reminder to us all to do our jobs well no matter how meaningless they may appear at the time.
Glen

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
I just read an article about the Pearl Harbor Survivors Association meeting for the last time to honor their fallen comrades.

Since most of them are in their 80s or 90s and they meet every 5 years, they decided this would be their last official gathering at Pearl Harbor.

Sad to think that we are losing a generation that did so much for us.

They'll always be remembered.

Dep

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Dep said:
I just read an article about the Pearl Harbor Survivors Association meeting for the last time to honor their fallen comrades.

Since most of them are in their 80s or 90s and they meet every 5 years, they decided this would be their last official gathering at Pearl Harbor.

Sad to think that we are losing a generation that did so much for us.

They'll always be remembered.

Dep
God bless 'em! There aren't many of them left.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Today is personalized once we remember the individuals. Thank you Dad, I miss you.

Metric4me

·
Registered
451 Posts
Its sad to say but when I see the "We will never forget" bumper stickers about 9-11, I think about 07 Dec 41 and wonder. :cry:

·
Registered
5,244 Posts
at work I asked a some of the guys ( 25 - 30 yrs old) if they knew what happened in American history on this date.

less than 50% remembered.

8)

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Tony in AZ said:
at work I asked a some of the guys ( 25 - 30 yrs old) if they knew what happened in American history on this date.

less than 50% remembered.

8)
I think it will be up to new generations of veterans to keep the memory alive. Non-vets that didn't live through WWII are too far removed to understand what those troops went through. I am a Viet Nam era Navy vet and my late Father-in law nearly died from wounds received in WWII. Like the others of his era, he was reluctant to talk about all that he went through but his massive scars told a sobering tale without any need for much detail. I was reminded today after watching Tom Brokaw on NBC doing a special report from Pearl Harbor that one of my goals after I retire is to visit the Arizona memorial. As a Navy vet, it seems to be a calling that I must fulfill.

I say thanks so much to those who served and died on this day in 1941. We will keep your memory alive.

Greyhound

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
We attended the local tribute - there were 6 Pearl Harbor Survivors present.

A piece of history I don't remember hearing - after everything was over one of the sunk ships had 70 sailors bodies recovered. It was determined from a calendar found with them that the last day of survival was December 23rd.

There were maybe 60 people attending today's tribute - we are hoping to continue each year.

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
Here's a little family trivia about thath day. My grandparents where born on that day.......the very day 1941. When asked about that day my gramps used to always kid grandma by always getting in the comment.... "yea, and the bombs been dropping ever since"! I do miss them so!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts