GL1800Riders Forums banner

Peg bumpers

3K views 26 replies 13 participants last post by  Big Galoot 
#1 ·
It may be too little too late. As my lines have improved, I drag less peg, or could I be slowing down?

These bolt on using the same hole the acorn nut used.

Before

See less See more
#5 ·
Big Galoot how's it going? It looks to me that they are 3/8 in thick so that I would think would make you drag the pegs more.:shrug: Oh by the way mine are getting there too, not as bad as yours but I only have 13500 mile on my new 1800 so I have to do something in the near futurel.:eek:4:

#7 ·
I had them made to experiment with. The are made from steel. The outside diameter is overkill. Need to address that (design change). I sent my extra set of pegs to a buddy with a machine shop. Call these Gen 1!

So far I have only ground them cutting hard exiting a parking lots.

Typically when I was leaned way over, I had to pick my foot up to keep from grinding the edge of my boot.

Call them a work in progress.

Rocky.....it's tougher to grind them with the Traxxion Suspension and my rented shock! :joke:

#13 ·
Titanium peg savers

DJFire is working with someone to make titanium peg savers and they are supposedly only a few weeks from release, but its nice to have options in case you don't want all the sparks. I figure I'll get whatever I can get my hands on first as long as it doesn't break the bank.

#14 ·
Titanium make a white spark vs yellow from steel.When we first made up some tips we found steel to soft and wore to fast.
The tips I posted in the picture above are Titnaium.
I got a friend that machines them with a 8mm thread.you need to drill the acorn nut on the bottom of the stock pegs from 6mm to 8mm.
He sells his 1/2 x 3/4 tips for $15 a set plus shipping.

I use 5/8 x 1" rod for my tips.

DJ sells his floorboard savers through Traxxion (under Goldwing accessories) they are steel.

#15 ·
DJ sells his floorboard savers through Traxxion (under Goldwing accessories) they are steel.
But I am doing a couple of final checks on a direct bolt on Titanium peg saver similar to what you are using. Can't touch your price but mine does not require any mods to the pegs. Mine are also 3/4" not 5/8"

Does your friend want to make more or just a project for you?

#17 ·
But I am doing a couple of final checks on a direct bolt on Titanium peg saver similar to what you are using. Can't touch your price but mine does not require any mods to the pegs. Mine are also 3/4" not 5/8"

Does your friend want to make more or just a project for you?
Doug.Anything is possible.I'll ask him.

The issue with not touching the stock 6 mm threaded hold in the stock peg is when he made his 1/2 tips with the 6mm,they snapped off when dragging.he lost a couple of them.
He found that when he made the threaded shank with 8mm threads they were fine.

I was looking last night at titanium prices from the guy in LA that I buy my rods from and Titanium has doubled in price since the last 22 sets I had made up a year ago.Metal prices fluctuates just like wood at home depot.So buying when the prices are much lower for titanium is the key.

PM me what you have in mind and I'll ask my buddy what he can do for you.

#19 ·
Doug.Anything is possible.I'll ask him.

The issue with not touching the stock 6 mm threaded hold in the stock peg is when he made his 1/2 tips with the 6mm,they snapped off when dragging.he lost a couple of them.
He found that when he made the threaded shank with 8mm threads they were fine.

I was looking last night at titanium prices from the guy in LA that I buy my rods from and Titanium has doubled in price since the last 22 sets I had made up a year ago.Metal prices fluctuates just like wood at home depot.So buying when the prices are much lower for titanium is the key.

PM me what you have in mind and I'll ask my buddy what he can do for you.
Rocky, are you the one starting all those fires in So Cal.:22yikes: Have you been riding out by Tehachapi this past weekend?:shrug:

#21 ·
#22 ·
these are available at www.pepsX.com (shameless plug :shrug:)
aluminum, Stainless steel and titanium. been working with DJ Fire for a few weeks now on the design and testing. ive had them on my bike for weeks now and they are better than sliced bread, (sliced bread dont last as long as these do)

you only have to drill one hole in your pegs.

#23 ·
Looks good, I sent you a message, one question. Whats the pin looking thing? Appears to lock the saver in place from spinning. Is that the part that needs to be drilled? Any chance you have a shot of some used ones that have been scraped a little? I want to gauge how much of the saver will get scraped off before I end up having to replace them. Yep- already thinking of the second set and how long something will last. Parking lot practices have come to a virtual standstill since the pegs are no longer indicators for me and when they start dragging, I'm dragging other parts of the bike.

#25 ·
Looks good, I sent you a message, one question. Whats the pin looking thing? Appears to lock the saver in place from spinning. Is that the part that needs to be drilled? Any chance you have a shot of some used ones that have been scraped a little? I want to gauge how much of the saver will get scraped off before I end up having to replace them. Yep- already thinking of the second set and how long something will last. Parking lot practices have come to a virtual standstill since the pegs are no longer indicators for me and when they start dragging, I'm dragging other parts of the bike.

its not a pin, but a second screw, both screw are stainless steel and as you can see from the pic below, thats the hole you will need to drill.
complete instructions come with the peg savers pucks.

#26 ·
Also interested in getting set but need to know more about the drilling into the pegs. :thumbup:
see post above....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.