GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for ideas on what highway peg gives the best ground clearance. I'm 6'1" and would like something to stretch out a bit for those long hauls. Being in my early 30's I still like to roll through the corners at a spirited pace and do not want to sacrifice ground clearance. I saw the aero pegs and they looked nice but I'm a little hesitant as their mounting location. Has anyone had any problems with them causing damage? Mounting directly to something that was not intended to be used as a structural mounting point has me a little hesitant. Several post online have people giving a slightly negative review on the short peg and their large shoes not fitting well.

My bike came with Mic pegs. I ripped those off as they are dangerous. Any slight lean angle would cause the heal of my foot to catch the pavement. I'm looking for something that will allow moderate comfort with the maximum ground clearance (safety)!

Anyone have pictures of their favorite peg set up that they can show? I've googled images but didn't find any decent images of what I was hoping for.

·
Registered
957 Posts
I'm using the kury euro pegs with 1 1/2 inch long bars . When hwy pegs are folded up the footpegs drag first . Had 4 inch length on at first, came on bike when I bought it . Seems too much lean in corners took care of them . I love the 1 1/2 inch length though

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
If you still have the Mic-O-Pegs, give them another try. There is a learning curve involved, and then they become second nature.

Either way, good luck in your search.

·
Registered
4,614 Posts
I'm looking for ideas on what highway peg gives the best ground clearance. I'm 6'1" and would like something to stretch out a bit for those long hauls. Being in my early 30's I still like to roll through the corners at a spirited pace and do not want to sacrifice ground clearance. I saw the aero pegs and they looked nice but I'm a little hesitant as their mounting location. Has anyone had any problems with them causing damage? Mounting directly to something that was not intended to be used as a structural mounting point has me a little hesitant. Several post online have people giving a slightly negative review on the short peg and their large shoes not fitting well.

My bike came with Mic pegs. I ripped those off as they are dangerous. Any slight lean angle would cause the heal of my foot to catch the pavement. I'm looking for something that will allow moderate comfort with the maximum ground clearance (safety)!

Anyone have pictures of their favorite peg set up that they can show? I've googled images but didn't find any decent images of what I was hoping for.
Being in my early 60's I still like to roll through the corners at a spirited pace and do not want to sacrifice ground clearance either. Mick-O-Pegs may not be what you want, but as Grayelky said, there is a learning curve. There are also several models that mount on the vertical bars that allow more lean in the long hauls without limiting lean in the corners.

If you want to see pictures of a rider who is 6'2" with a 33" inseam sitting on a stock 1800 with Aeropegs, take the peg comparison link in my signature. They are the last two. I couldn't use them on a stock bike because they pushed my tailbone down into the seat and caused the fairing to gouge my legs. On a custom seat that puts me back and up they might work for me but I've never tried them that way.

·
Registered
5,260 Posts
One thing I have learned... Anything mounted mounted on the lower horizontal bar is gonna sacrifice some clearance. Maybe after the pegs are already dragging, but clearance is still lost. The vertical bar mount is by far the best. I have my Mic-O-Pegs mounted on my horizontal bars, but someday plan on changing to the vertical bars. Back when the 1800's first came out, (I had an 02) there was only Kury available that I knew of. They were absolute death traps (and still are). Today there are much better solutions out there, most of which are Mic-O-Pegs. :yes1:

As a side note, back in the early 2000's I was in the mountains in Colorado and came upon a MC crash. Unfortunately a Goldwing. According to witnesses, the (Kury) foot pegs caught the ground and flipped the bike over. You could see the gouge in the highway where they hit. I always kept that in the back of my mind when I ran Kurys, which I was running that day.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Being in my early 60's I still like to roll through the corners at a spirited pace and do not want to sacrifice ground clearance either. Mick-O-Pegs may not be what you want, but as Grayelky said, there is a learning curve. There are also several models that mount on the vertical bars that allow more lean in the long hauls without limiting lean in the corners.

If you want to see pictures of a rider who is 6'2" with a 33" inseam sitting on a stock 1800 with Aeropegs, take the peg comparison link in my signature. They are the last two. I couldn't use them on a stock bike because they pushed my tailbone down into the seat and caused the fairing to gouge my legs. On a custom seat that puts me back and up they might work for me but I've never tried them that way.

Thanks DDking. I'm the type that would prefer to eliminate any chance of a safety incident. The bike came with the Mick-O-Pegs and I did use them on several long 1,000 mile weekend rides. I did like them when rolling down the interstate but removed them due to my gut feeling on personal safety.

The product itself is well constructed and I wish there were more options for highway pegs and ground clearance. I will take a look at the rivco products.

·
Registered
5,260 Posts

·
Registered
2,986 Posts
I have the Kury Ergo IIs and no clearance problems. For taller guys use the short or mini bars, which you have to hunt for a bit as usually the product you see is the longer arms for shorter folk. No pic handy. Here's Wingstuff's.

The regular footpegs drag WAY before the highway pegs would, and the highway pegs fold up if you are a real leaner or if you need the bike to be less wide. But note if you drop the bike the mounting bases are in the way between the ground and the engine guard. I know this because I got side swiped by a lady at low speed at a light -- my right highway peg punctured the sheet metal of her door then sheared off at the mini arm as she moved forward changing lanes through me. It knocked my bike over onto my left side which scuffed the left highway peg and rear bag guard on the ground. Fortunately they sell the arms by themselves so I made a profit that day. I had only had the bike a month and was stunned at the minimal damage.

If you had a peg that mounted up on the vertical part of the engine guards you would get more clearance for a tip over, but I don't know if there are any. As is, I don't think I'd want my feet any higher than they are, and I have no concern over dragging. Note that I do have the mini arms rotated up a bit, you can rotate them 360 where they join the base (the vertical seam in the Wingstuff photo).

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have the Kury Ergo IIs and no clearance problems. For taller guys use the short or mini bars, which you have to hunt for a bit as usually the product you see is the longer arms for shorter folk. No pic handy. Here's Wingstuff's.

The regular footpegs drag WAY before the highway pegs would, and the highway pegs fold up if you are a real leaner or if you need the bike to be less wide. But note if you drop the bike the mounting bases are in the way between the ground and the engine guard. I know this because I got side swiped by a lady at low speed at a light -- my right highway peg punctured the sheet metal of her door then sheared off at the mini arm as she moved forward changing lanes through me. It knocked my bike over onto my left side which scuffed the left highway peg and rear bag guard on the ground. Fortunately they sell the arms by themselves so I made a profit that day. I had only had the bike a month and was stunned at the minimal damage.

If you had a peg that mounted up on the vertical part of the engine guards you would get more clearance for a tip over, but I don't know if there are any. As is, I don't think I'd want my feet any higher than they are, and I have no concern over dragging. Note that I do have the mini arms rotated up a bit, you can rotate them 360 where they join the base (the vertical seam in the Wingstuff photo).
Thanks for your post. I was looking through the internet a little more and would prefer come that mount on the vertical crash bars. In the mishap of a tip over in a parking lot, or garage, I'm hoping that the highway pegs don't sustain any damage or cause any either.

·
Registered
4,796 Posts
Thanks DDking. I'm the type that would prefer to eliminate any chance of a safety incident. The bike came with the Mick-O-Pegs and I did use them on several long 1,000 mile weekend rides. I did like them when rolling down the interstate but removed them due to my gut feeling on personal safety.

The product itself is well constructed and I wish there were more options for highway pegs and ground clearance. I will take a look at the rivco products.
+1 for the easy learning curve on MOPs mounted on the verticals. Dragging a heel in a curve will startle you the first time, but the spring-mounted peg will lift instead of digging in. It won't take you more than two heel-drags before you learn - and then you are golden!

For the twisties, I keep my feet on the Honda pegs for shifting & braking - can't perform those actions from the forward position anyway. The rest of the time (75-90% of my riding in California) I have the option of comfort on the MOPs.

For comparison purposes, I'm 6'3" with a 34"+ inseam.

Happy hunting!

·
Registered
5,260 Posts

I have some that the highway peg is chewed up as well as the bottom of the mounting bracket.

·
Registered
7,389 Posts
+1 for the easy learning curve on MOPs mounted on the verticals. Dragging a heel in a curve will startle you the first time, but the spring-mounted peg will lift instead of digging in. It won't take you more than two heel-drags before you learn - and then you are golden!

For the twisties, I keep my feet on the Honda pegs for shifting & braking - can't perform those actions from the forward position anyway. The rest of the time (75-90% of my riding in California) I have the option of comfort on the MOPs.

For comparison purposes, I'm 6'3" with a 34"+ inseam.

Happy hunting!
:agree: I was 6'3", but age has shrunk me down to a bit over 6', with a 34 inch inseam (down from 36"). I use MOPs, and yes I've dragged a heel or two, and yes it gets your attention the first few times it happens. I find if I'm dragging my heels, then I probably need to shift to the Honda pegs for more stability and control. Just my opinion, but I like the MOPs.

·
Registered
5,260 Posts
:agree: I was 6'3", but age has shrunk me down to a bit over 6', with a 34 inch inseam (down from 36"). I use MOPs, and yes I've dragged a heel or two, and yes it gets your attention the first few times it happens. I find if I'm dragging my heels, then I probably need to shift to the Honda pegs for more stability and control. Just my opinion, but I like the MOPs.
Yep, That's pretty much the way it works!

·
Registered
2,986 Posts
I have some that the highway peg is chewed up as well as the bottom of the mounting bracket.
I think a lot of that is dependent on how the arms are mounted. Like I said, I have the mini arms and they are rotated up and forward. I did that for my leg length, but a benefit is that they are more out of the way on a lean. More folks have the longer (4" vs. 1.5"?) arms and tend to have them rotated straight back, putting the pegs further out into the lean than mine. I've even seen one shorter guy with the arms tilted one notch down and that scared me.

There's lots of choices and these don't seem to be front runners for the OP. I'm not selling this, but I guess my point is that these are OK and are much more OK for a taller guy since it affords them more clearance.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Best thing ever happened to my Kury pegs were them breaking. Much happier with my Mick-O-Pegs. If I'm dragging my heels going around a corner, I take that as a sign that I really should be on the controls instead of the highway pegs.

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
I also had the kury ergoII with the mini short arms mounted on the horizontal bar and found them quite good and comfy I am 6.1 tall with no scraping issues at all with them on one thing no one mentioned is does your bike have stock suspension if so any highway pegs boards will drag I have after market suspension on my bike at both ends and this helps a lot with clearance issues IMO :thumbup:

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
I've been using Rivco's highway pegs for the last 80k+ miles or so and like them. I mounted them on the vertical bar and have zero ground clearance issues. I've touched down my engine bars and not touched the highway pegs on the ground.

Placing the pegs on the verticle bars has two potential drawbacks:
  1. The pegs will be higher and further away than when mounted on the horizontal bars but at your height, the distance isn't likely an issue. The height may be.
  2. The engine bars are not equidistant from the rider. I don't remember which one but one side is closer than the other. Probably by 1/2". If you are really stretched out, this may be an issue. But again at your height, you may not even notice it.

·
Registered
5,260 Posts
  1. The pegs will be higher and further away than when mounted on the horizontal bars but at your height, the distance isn't likely an issue. The height may be.
That depends on how thorough he wants his gynecological exam to be! :joke:

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I've been using Rivco's highway pegs for the last 80k+ miles or so and like them. I mounted them on the vertical bar and have zero ground clearance issues. I've touched down my engine bars and not touched the highway pegs on the ground.

Placing the pegs on the verticle bars has two potential drawbacks:
  2. The engine bars are not equidistant from the rider. I don't remember which one but one side is closer than the other. Probably by 1/2". If you are really stretched out, this may be an issue. But again at your height, you may not even notice it.

Thank you for the pictures! Those shots are exactly what I've been looking for. I'll add them to the wish list on wingstuff.com.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts