GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The wife and I are planning to ride up to Prince Edward Island and Nova Scota from Florida. We are thinking of leaving the last week in June. Does anyone have an idea as to what the weather is like up there in early July?

·
Curious Member
877 Posts
It's a good time to go. It will be summer. It might rain, it might not.

·
Registered
824 Posts
Barring a wet summer, it will be hot and humid. Temps in the mid 80's not uncommon with humidity in the high 70-80's. Look at your weather in Florida and consider it the same up there.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Maratime weather can be a bit of a crap shoot. My Newfie buddy says it only rains twice a week; once for three days and once for four days. He also says it get so windy some days ckickens lay the same egg twice. Oh, and he's a real jokester. Everyone I have spoken to say the weather in July and August is great down there. Have a great trip!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Be prepared for high gas prices and expensive hotels compared to what you are used to down south.
The scenery is fantastic, and the people are almost as nice as the fresh lobster. Try to see the Maritime Museum in Halifax, Nova Scotia, very interesting place. And make sure you take the Confederation Bridge on to the island or off the island (only pay once, about 18 bucks). The bridge itself is something else but the view (you are up higher and can see over the cement walls) is even better. Enjoy!

·
Registered
994 Posts
I've been to the east coast of Canada from Ontario 5 or 6 times and always the last 2 weeks of July.The weather has been different everytime.So yeah I would say it's a crap shoot.It's been so hot you could hardly stand it and the next time it was so cold we had to buy warmer clothes.Then we've had both the same year.No matter what you end up with it's still well worth the trip.Whatever you do make sure you do the Cabot Trail.

·
Registered
833 Posts
I have lived in NS since 1978. In my opinion, the weather in late July is usually pretty decent with temps from mid 70's to mid 80's.Sometimes it rains and sometimes it is cold, but normally it is a couple of good weather weeks.

Also, if you are interested, the Regional GWRRA rally is in Gander NFLD the weekend of 31 july-3 Aug 14

·
Registered
576 Posts
In June

I visited in mid June of 11. It did rain more than I wanted. A beautiful place. Stay in Baddeck at the Baddeck Inn. It,s agreat launch spot to do the Cabot Trail. Go to cabottrailbiker.com for more info.

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
I can't answer your question about the weather; I've only been there is September, when we got a little rain, some clouds, some sunshine. No matter, it's a great ride. Have a great time!

One caution from my personal experience. If the wind is blown' stay off the Confederation Bridge! A gust blew me and my Wing about six feet across my lane. I thought I was going over the edge. Luckily, I managed to stay on the bridge and stay upright, but the remaining miles (it's an 8 mile long bridge) sure were scary!

·
Registered
385 Posts
Anther endorsement for the Baddeck Inn. A real nice place. They even prepared us a box lunch when we left and it was great. The folks up there are so nice it is hard to believe. Sometimes oncoming traffic stopped for us before we even got to the end of the driveway. Us New Yorkers aren't used to that kind of treatment.
I have been there twice, both times in July. I found the earlier trip very wet, nearly every day; but the later in July trip was great.
You will have a wonderful time in Canada. Enjoy.

·
Registered
758 Posts
I was up there two years ago and going back this summer, mid July. Just an FYI, there is now ferry service from Portland ME to Yarmouth NS, overnight to NS, day run back to Portland.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts