GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a 2010 and I was wondering if there is a way to change the performance. For example, more economy, or more power etc. Or, am I stuck with 34 mpg?

·
Vendor
17,415 Posts
No reprogramming availabe that I know of. What grade gas are you using ... that mpg sounds low? How amny miles on the Wing? New plugs are required every 16k, air filter every 12k, and valve adjustment every 32k. Those are the first things worth checking. Any FI light flashing?

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
Short shield........41 average, sometimes 45/46

·
Notorious Rocket Scientist
5,533 Posts
Greetings!

34 mpg isn't really 'low' mileage if that's urban (non-highway) mileage.

My advice would be to drive it a good while just like it is before you decide what you would like to improve and why you want to change it.

·
Registered
396 Posts
I just purchased a 2010 and I was wondering if there is a way to change the performance. For example, more economy, or more power etc. Or, am I stuck with 34 mpg?

One of them ''it is what it is" er's. It ain't a high mpg bike. Drive slower, take off easy, etc and get better mileage.

New plugs are required every 16k, air filter every 12k, and valve adjustment every 32k. Those are the first things worth checking.

uh oh, I'm in serious trouble..required..my O my

...louie

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
I'm using 87 octane. Only 700 on the clock.
First off welcome to the board and I hope you find your answer soon...

Being from the Morgantown area, you've got a lot of hills up there that may be messing with your millage???

How much are you using the lower gears???

Are you doing much two up riding???

And just 700 isn't much to tell very much yet either...

34 isn't all that good unless your riding her like a crotch rocket, and then that's not bad at all...

There's a lot of variables to gas mileage... Good or bad...

·
Registered
60 Posts
34 seems pretty low. depends how you ride. I average over 40 when doing the sl. normal drive is 80-85 mph then I get "only" 37mpg. I commute about 250 each way. :shrug:

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
I just figured out 1500+ miles worth of gas slips & averaged 38mpg which is a combination of in town, back roads & 2 lane highway but no interstate. It is mostly flat around where I live & I tend to ride alone keeping it between 2500 & 2800 rpm out of towns. I run 87 octane 10% ethanol

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
I was getting 35 til I blew the tranny.

The Rebuild got 45.

With new plugs in I'm back down to 40.

I personally think my next mod will be sacrificing a chicken or something, I'm not saying I believe or don't believe in anything, but let's face it, something will change.

·
Registered
429 Posts
700 miles??? She isn't broke in yet. Throttle habits play into a wing tremendously. Most seem to report overall improvements after a few thousand miles. Check your exhaust tips for color or soot. Gas blends can make a big difference. Personally I think it's a bit soon to be chasing mileage gremlins.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Way to Soon to be chasing Gas Eaters. Give it 5,000 miles. It has not even warmed up yet. Honest.:nojoke:

David

·
Banned
1,766 Posts
Geeze, that's a good one. My 2010 is getting mid 40's and it has since it was new. Even got 50 mpg with it a couple of times and never lower than about 42.

All riding is backroads (I loathe the interstate) so maybe that has something to do with it.

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,216 Posts
Welcome to the board! Yes, loosen her up a bit and see if it improves. Make sure and check the level on all the fluids, dealers don't always do their job during setup.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Try slowing down!!! I get avg. 36 mpg with a trike. The faster you go the faster the fuel goes. When I pull my trailer I get 32 mpg and use 87 oct. all the time.

·
Registered
19,068 Posts
The wing does have a mileage control it is on the right handlebar. The throttle

·
Registered
4,643 Posts
The Honda computer is proprietary and yet to be successfully hacked, to my best knowledge. I was getting ~ 37 mpg on my '06 until I got her broke it - at 50,000 miles - it jumped to over 40 and has not come back down.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts