GL1800Riders Forums banner

PermaStar Chrome

1K views 1 reply 1 participant last post by  EGale 
#1 ·
Rider mag did a 1-pager last October on the PermaStar Chrome process, from Goodrich Technology, chrome applied via powder coating plus some extra magic. Anyone here have any experience with it? Any thoughts on how it might hold up?

http://www.goodrichtechnology.com/index.html

James

See less See more
G
#2 ·
First off, let me say this: I have 25 years experience in chrome plating.

Now, I have two questions that their website does not answer. First, they mention nothing about salt spray testing their product. That is a very important factor in how well a chrome plated product will hold up in an outdoor environment. So, how many hours will it last in a salt spray test cabinet before the substrate begins to show any corrosion?

The second thing I would like to know is what makes them think any chrome automotive wheel has "up to 2.5 lbs. of chrome"? Who are they trying to kid? Typical plating thicknesses on those applications range from .001"-.002" of nickel and about .000001"-.000002" of chrome. I don't know off the top of my head what those thicknesses weigh per square foot, but I can certainly guarantee you there is nowhere near 2.5 lbs. of nickel and/or chrome or any automotive, motorcycle, or even a big truck wheel out on the road today.

Just my $0.02 worth.

By the way, our company does not do custom plating. It's not our market.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.