GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have this idea about a Personal Comfort Systems (Air Conditioner) for the Hot weather or a warmer for cooler weather. Don't laugh - it's time and why not this board first, we have alot of smart members here, we can do it.

How would we get started you say, think back when you had a surgery and they had a thing called an Arctic Pack (12 -15 QT Ice Box filled with ice and water) with a 12 volt motor and two tubing coming out of it (One tube is pushing and the other hose is the return hose) with a reducer to control the amount of cold water let say going to your knee to control the pain.

Instead this time we use this unit to control our upper body and head by using a clear 1/4 hose that loops around let's say a t-shirt (Front and back of it) This would cool you down or warm you up while riding. If you already have this Arctic Pack Unit (saved) how would we make this T-Shirt and clear 1/4 hose stick to the shirt or head gear.

Head gear I was thing if a light skull cap with the same tubing to cool us down with our Helmet are on. We would need to control the cold would be too much and the reducer should add the outside air to the cold water to warm the water up, you do not want to freeze your skin.

What do you think? It should not cost that much and we could do pictures of how we did it for other to follow.:shrug:

·
Registered
544 Posts
Sounds interesting! But I would certainly have to see pictures along with the instructions. I have found times that something you just described would have been have along.

·
Registered
643 Posts
:agree: Would not need it all the time, but on those really hot, humid days it would be a nice option, especially for my wife.

·
Registered
132 Posts
:agree:
New I had seen this on the net.
Jerry

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
hmmm...then we could look like this?

:22yikes: :joke: :cool:

Mark

:fullsize:

Attachments

·
Registered
927 Posts
google swamp cooler
Ride Safe
Ken

·
Registered
602 Posts
The cool shirt would probably make me sweat even more, if that's possible....... reminding me how much I paid for the dang thang !

Frequent hyrdration breaks with walking around; etc., is what my body seems to desire on hot days.

Dave / Silver '09 / Farmington, MO

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
The cooling vest that you soak in water to charge the granules inside the material work great in a dry climate, but not when it's humid out.

One of the advantages of a flip front helmet is that I can sip ice water from the insulated mug in the cup holder mounted on the handlebar. That and stopping often to get off and walk around and drink more cold water work well for us when it's hot.

·
Registered
4,274 Posts
What do you think?
Ok, I don't mean this to be insulting... but I think you simply need to remember you're on a motorcycle. :rolleyes:

It's one thing during cooler rides to simply plug in to an electric feed that the bike already generates... but it's something else to feel the need to connect pumps, motors, a plumbing system, and the required water (or other conductor) supply to the bike.

I mean... c'mon... remember why it is most of us ride in the first place: to get OUT of our air-conditioned cages, feel the breeze, and enjoy the open air aspect of riding!

I already hate the idea of having to 'suit up' in the protective gear I wear now... but I do so for safety's sake. The last thing I want to do is pile on even MORE gear, and further insulate myself from the elements more than I do now.

That said, looking at the logisitcs of such a project...

First off...let's look at just the garmet itself. In order to be any good at being able to really cool one's body, the amount of conductive fluid that would be required is significant. This means the plumbing on the garmet must be significant too. Either a few big, fat tubes... or a great number of smaller ones. A few fat ones would be cheaper to make... smaller ones would look better (or at least, not look as bad), wouldn't be as susceptible to rips & breakage, but would be much more expensive to make. And then think about the weight! No matter what type of liquid you use for conduction (water, glycerine, alcohol, etc)... in order for it to be any good, it's gonna be heavy, and the rider will have to 'wear' that weight.

Next, you've got to install or at least figure out a place for the motor & pump to move the conductive liquid. Will the rider also have to wear it (adding to his/her weight), will it be permanently installed on the bike, or will it be portible enough to simply place in the trunk or saddlebag when used? How large will it need to be? How much will it weigh? Will it reduce the amount of otherwise usable storage capacity of the bike... and if so, will potential users be willing to lose that reduction?

You mentioned a thermostat of some type would be needed, and I agree. Would that be part of the motor/pump assembly, or a seperate unit? Either way, is it rider controllable from the dash... or would he/she need to set it to what they think they'll want prior to the ride? If 'on-the-fly' adjustable, what electronic or manual cableing will be required... and how hard would that installation be?

These are just some of my thoughts, and my 2-cents worth...
:shrug:

·
Registered
3,294 Posts
The harley riders would laugh their heads off and probally would not be caught dead in a cooling shirt. the wind through their arm pits is their cooling item

·
Registered
52 Posts
I can't agree more with the last two posts. IT'S A MOTORCYCLE FOLKS ! Thats why an invention called the "CAR" is still popular, for those who want to be removed from their enviroment while traveling. The Gold Wing already is the closest thing on two wheels to being a car now ! OH the changing times, people are getting softer !

·
Registered
88 Posts
Interesting discussion huh?!?!

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Personal Comfort System

I know a Goldwing is not a cage, and come-on this is a motorcycle, what would a Harley Rider say, It's sure is hot out here and since I ride a HD I can't go to a Diary Queen, only Goldwing can go there. Have fun with me, Have a laugh, we all need one these day. I have never laugh at one member since I started this broad, only tired to help.

I guess I was wrong and we could not put our heads together and make this work. Like a lot of other out their, we all have medical issues or pain issues, I could go on and on, I also have all of these plus more, I was figuring how some of our memebers including myself can ride our bikes during the hot months, when we have to take med's that tell us to not get too hot or stay out of the sun, or have medicial conditions that hot weather make us worst, and we had to medical retire and don't have the funds to buy everything we like, We can just go out an buy a Cooling Shirt but it you have some of the stuff laying around from a old surgery, you have 80 % of the stuff you need to make a cooling system or maybe an friend might have one.

We would just have to figure out how to make a shirt that we could glue 3/16" clear hose too or sew it in plate, I don't know. Yoiu taked about weight, a small 2 Qt Cooler could be used to store your soft drinnks and keep you cool, the hoses would be supported by the bike and run along the side of the bike and maybe couplers to fasten us to the 3/8 hose to 3/16" hose to our T-shirts let say.

Now for the member, would this help you with your medical issues, it would me for sure, Here we go again.

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
Guys this problem has already been solved.

http://www.kool3.com/motorcycles.html

I emailed them, they aren't currently in production, but I liked this system better then the one using a refrigerator unit. This system only weighs 8 lbs vs 25 for the reefer.

All you guys that say 'Its a motorcycle' to each his own. But If I can have comfort and a hi-tech bike too... Well Why not! I hate being hot and can always keep warm.

The beauty of this system is it can reverse and deliver warm water to the vests. So you get heat and cool for the same price.

·
Registered
686 Posts
I often thought about something similar when traveling. When I travel the bushtec is hooked up and with the cooler on the front of the trailer it would be so easy to add a pump and hosing to it so the riders could keep cool.

Only problem would be what if a hose breaks? Or when you dissconnect from it would the left over water leak out and make you all wet?

I like the Kool thing posted and am going to look into it. Since it is still in a development stage maybe some on here could be testers for it.

Teddyb3
aka Dan

·
Registered
66 Posts
Mister?

I have often thought about just a small mist nozzle - evaporative cooling - squeeze bulb pressurized- seems simple enough. I think the idea came when condensate dripped off a drink in the holder on a hot day and it felt good.

·
Registered
2 Posts
CoolShirt!

I recently purchased a CoolShirt system and have installed the electrical connections to it on my ST1300. The weather has been unseasonably cool here in El Paso lately (yesterday low-44; high-66), so I haven't had the opportunity to test it; but preliminary "checks" using regular tap water indicate that it will work well!

As for whether or not to use such a system, I would think it depends on where you ride, and how far you go in a day. I've used evaporative cooling vests; but they tend to dry up pretty quick in the desert. That's why I've "invested" in the CoolShirt system. Also, the folks at CoolShirt are offering a Group Purchase 15% discount on 10 orders.

Here's a link to my post yesterday, which has links to the CoolShirt website and my posts on 2 other forums:

http://gl1800riders.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2385296#post2385296

·
Registered
5,173 Posts
The cooling vest that you soak in water to charge the granules inside the material work great in a dry climate, but not when it's humid out.....
:agree:

I tried one and didn't like it at all.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts