GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After 46 years I reunited with my high school girlfriend. When we dated I rode a Honda 305 superhawk. She thought the 2018 Gold Wing seat was incredibly comfortable. She hadn't been on a street bike since we dated. If the drivers seat is bad, the passenger seat has hardly any cushion and is even worse (I never sat there but can see). The only thing I can say is she didn't weight 125 lbs and perhaps her butt was the right size and shape to be comfortable but she rode in back for 600-800 mile days without complaint. Me, I will upgrade to an aftermarket. I never had a problem with rain and Corbin seats (with leather and stitching leaking). I am not good about putting covers on bike while traveling. Has water been an issue for others that don't cover the seats?

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
If I'm riding the bike in the rain, I don't seem to have any problem with a Corbin or any other brand for that matter. If the bike is parked in the rain, I try to cover it ( I use a half cover at night or try to throw a towel over it on a lunch stop). Ride on......

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
I have been caught in the rain numerous times with a leather seat it has never been a problem over the years however when I'm stopped I will cover it and I probably over treat it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Brand new to the site, brand new to a very slightly used 2018 1800 bagger, had 3127km at time of purchase. found the bike to be very pleasant in most respects. I tell those who ask, after several other bikes in the past, including top line tourers, this bike is like silk compared to denim. However, now at about 6500 km, some dislikes are developing. And one is the seat. I have equipped most of my previous bikes with aftermarket seats, in most cases Mustang, one FLHTK received an upgrade at time of new purchase, a HD "hammock" seat.
The seat on this GW is good for about 3-4 hours, then starts to really get uncomfortable. I cannot find a comfortable position and end up squirming for the rest of my ride. My last ride, which I still own, a 1998 Valkyrie Tourer, has the factory stock seat, bike has bout 65000 km. I can ride that bike for 6 to 10 hours a day with very little discomfort.
The seat on this Wing is like sitting on a huge log, and after about 3-4 hours, especially if ridden for that length of time on consecutive days, becomes unbearable. The hard spots end up being right up the center and into the tailbone, with very little support at the outboard sides, ie where the outside edges of the cheeks meet the seat. I have tried sitting up close, sitting in a "climb" position at the very back where the seat contours up into the passenger part, nothing works.
Love the bike, hate the seat.
That is my first ouch, others have also become evident, I will post in appropriate topics.
And no, the bike is not for sale, I love it.
Any others experiencing this?
Brigand

·
Registered
522 Posts
On a recent (round) trip to Robbinsville, NC, I used a set of wooden beads on my 2018 DCT Tour. I will admit the beads worked for a while longer than no beads at all. But, they didn't get me to the two+ hour range before my butt developed serious pain spots and they were not from the beads. I can get about 110 to 150 miles before I really need to just get off the bike for several minutes. I would like to get to the point where I can ride for a full tank or around 250 miles.

I want to spring for an aftermarket seat, but I'm having difficulty deciding on what I want. So, I may try the AirHawk for a while. A friend swears by his, but he rides a Yamaha sport tourer (FJR set up with aux gas tank and other goodies for long distance riding). He loaned me his once, but I don't think I had it set up correctly as it really didn't help.

I've got a while before my next long ride (hopefully MotoGP will return to COTA next year). I should have made up my mind well before then. Honestly, I would like a Russell Day Long, but at present I'm leaning towards the Ultimate. One of these days, I'll decide. But, IHMO Honda missed with this seat. The rest of the bike is something else again.

Quick edit: I have over 23k miles on this seat and while I love riding this bike, I don't much care for the stock seat.

·
Registered
156 Posts
After 46 years I reunited with my high school girlfriend. When we dated I rode a Honda 305 superhawk. She thought the 2018 Gold Wing seat was incredibly comfortable. She hadn't been on a street bike since we dated. If the drivers seat is bad, the passenger seat has hardly any cushion and is even worse (I never sat there but can see). The only thing I can say is she didn't weight 125 lbs and perhaps her butt was the right size and shape to be comfortable but she rode in back for 600-800 mile days without complaint. Me, I will upgrade to an aftermarket. I never had a problem with rain and Corbin seats (with leather and stitching leaking). I am not good about putting covers on bike while traveling. Has water been an issue for others that don't cover the seats?
I had a Corbin seat on my other GL's for 16 years, they were waterproof.
Now with the last one on 2018', completely different story... Can not the seat dry for hours, if gets wet ?
I don't know if it's my seat only, or they're all the same now.?

·
Registered
7,022 Posts
Its funny how much different people are with the seat comfort. I read in another thread where a owner is saying the OEM seat is one of the best seats he has ridden on...I couldn't ride on it for more than 70 miles before hot spots would make the ride miserable.I tried seat beads and a sheep skin on the OEM seat and they might have given me another 10 minutes but still the ride was miserable. I would love to read something that could explain what makes a seat confortable...anyways, I had the Wingsoft mods with my OEM seat and its a hundred times better than the OEM seat for me and I can ride all day.

·
Registered
12 Posts
TUCK said:
"I want to spring for an aftermarket seat, but I'm having difficulty deciding on what I want. So, I may try the AirHawk for a while. A friend swears by his, but he rides a Yamaha sport tourer (FJR set up with aux gas tank and other goodies for long distance riding). He loaned me his once, but I don't think I had it set up correctly as it really didn't help."

Had a 2015 FJR, the bike never clicked with me, so let it go at 26000km, but the stock seat was much better than the GW, although I did upgrade that seat as well to a "Sargent" seat, made by Mustang for sport bikes.
I will update the GW with an Ultimate, probably sooner than later. Have met several riders with Ultimate seats, they rave about the comfort. So time to try one.
Good luck with your decision, whatever you decide on.

·
Registered
18,878 Posts
RDL
Ultimate

·
Registered
7,022 Posts
The Ultimate sure looks nice...but it doesnt look much different than the stock seat or a Wingsoft seat. Cruiseman tested the Ultimate and said the comfort wasn't much different than his Wingsoft...but everybody is different. Ultimate has something like a 10 day test ride for their stock seats and you can return it if you dont like it..and you don't use your stock seat pan so you still have your stock seat..still the only seat that looks like it would really make a difference is the RDL...not exactly the best looking seat, but you can see how your weight is spread over more area of the seat to relieve the pressure...that and the RDL is made to your body specs giving you and your passenger
a true custom seat for the same price as the off the shelf one size fits all Ultimate seat.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I did a fly and ride when I bought my 2018 Tour 6 spd; rode from Castle Rock CO to Murfreesboro, TN. While I was riding back I was thinking this bike is so comfortable I don't need to nothing the the seat. Comparing the Wing to my ST 1300 with a Spencer seat for day trips and RDL for long trips, I found the Wing much more comfortable! I guess I was excited to have a new bike! Now that I've put 6K on the bike the stock seat feels uncomfortable and produces what I would describe as hot spots. Standing on the pegs helps. I have opted to have my seat modified by Terry Adcox in Manchester, TN. He has a good reputation and builds a bucket type seat similar to RDL for a lot less. I have been given a build date in November.

·
Registered
340 Posts
I have a RDL, right off the first 600 miles no pain in the rear, I still have more time to break it in. Seating is higher for now, which may make a difference in the 20 inch F4 touring windshield and or replacing with a 22 inch. I am getting used to stopping with my tips of the toes and how to adjust to quick stops. I just need a way to adjust the under garments from riding up. After a 65 mile one way drive to work, sitting close to 8 hours then the ride back, my only complaint would be with the undies....the same was for the OEM seat, but I had more rear end pain from that.

·
Registered
315 Posts
That is my first ouch, others have also become evident, I will post in appropriate topics.
Reading your post I agree with the 3-4 hours but heres the weird thing: Yesterday I rode 10 hours 900 km. At 3 hours (275 km) I became uncomfortable so stopped for 1/2 hour lunch. At 5 hours (400km) I stopped at destination but decided to weather was good so I could ride around or just ride home. I stopped for fuel twice on the way home when I really didnt need to, so just a 5 minute rest and clean the windshield. Thinking of yesterday I cannot remember the seat being uncomfortable the entire way home so maybe the 5 minute breaks are what did it.

I have heard the current seat cannot be modified due to construction so replacement is required. I hate to throw away a perfectly new seat so my new travel plan will include a 5 minute break every 2 hours rather than trying to empty the tank.

·
Registered
7,022 Posts
I have heard the current seat cannot be modified due to construction so replacement is required. I hate to throw away a perfectly new seat so my new travel plan will include a 5 minute break every 2 hours rather than trying to empty the tank.
The OEM seat can be modified..Wingsoft does it and uses the OEM heating....RDL builds their seat using the OEM seat pan.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Brand new to the site, brand new to a very slightly used 2018 1800 bagger, had 3127km at time of purchase. found the bike to be very pleasant in most respects. I tell those who ask, after several other bikes in the past, including top line tourers, this bike is like silk compared to denim. However, now at about 6500 km, some dislikes are developing. And one is the seat. I have equipped most of my previous bikes with aftermarket seats, in most cases Mustang, one FLHTK received an upgrade at time of new purchase, a HD "hammock" seat.
The seat on this GW is good for about 3-4 hours, then starts to really get uncomfortable. I cannot find a comfortable position and end up squirming for the rest of my ride. My last ride, which I still own, a 1998 Valkyrie Tourer, has the factory stock seat, bike has bout 65000 km. I can ride that bike for 6 to 10 hours a day with very little discomfort.
The seat on this Wgot ing is like sitting on a huge log, and after about 3-4 hours, especially if ridden for that length of time on consecutive days, becomes unbearable. The hard spots end up being right up the center and into the tailbone, with very little support at the outboard sides, ie where the outside edges of the cheeks meet the seat. I have tried sitting up close, sitting in a "climb" position at the very back where the seat contours up into the passenger part, nothing works.
And no, the bike is not for sale, I love it.
Brigand
I've got the Ultimate tall boy, I love it. I hated the stock seat, 30 minutes, and the twins were tingling like your arm when it goes to sleep. I got it about a week after I bought the bike, that's how bad the stock seat is. I had a RDL on my ST 1300, ugly but a great seat, and I put almost 200K it before the leather started looking a lil' worn. Then a 2012 Wing and the stock seat wasn't too bad but I put a Hartco seat ( expensive ) because I knew how much better it would be. Two important factors, you do not want a soft seat your bottom sinks in and you cannot move which is bad. Second try to buy a seat that has a pre-made seat pan, the stock seat pan is too soft to hold its shape. The Ultimate folks are pretty good to deal with and much more affordable. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
315 Posts
The OEM seat can be modified..Wingsoft does it and uses the OEM heating....RDL builds their seat using the OEM seat pan.
My mistake. I watched a Max McAllister video that mentioned you could not lower the seat height by removing padding but i guess you could add more foam.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Its funny how much different people are with the seat comfort. I read in another thread where a owner is saying the OEM seat is one of the best seats he has ridden on...I couldn't ride on it for more than 70 miles before hot spots would make the ride miserable.I tried seat beads and a sheep skin on the OEM seat and they might have given me another 10 minutes but still the ride was miserable. I would love to read something that could explain what makes a seat confortable...anyways, I had the Wingsoft mods with my OEM seat and its a hundred times better than the OEM seat for me and I can ride all day.
Mine has the Wingsoft mods as well and it is very comfortable for me all day too. Well worth the cost. I also use a Utopia backrest which really helps.

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
So far I am comfortable with the stock seat. Longest ride has been about two hours with no discomfort. I will stick with stock for now as it seem to be working for me.

Fred

1 - 20 of 29 Posts