GL1800Riders Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
4,303 Posts
I tend to think in the way back of my suspicious mind that this maybe somekind of scam in the likened of the 'housing-morgage-crisis' a while back, where someone or some entities may eventually make a lot of money out of this mass-manipulation thing.

Mind you, I don't believe it is so, I am just wondering if it may be...not because I have any evidence, but because I don't trust anything that moves on this Earth--specifically, bears, sharks, people texting while driving, and monies marketing.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Perspective..........Swine flu killed an average 34 Americans per day in 2009.

Covid-19 took just 60 days from the date of the first recorded US death in January to reach 40 deaths per day. That's an average across two months which is really a bad use of numbers because deaths in the US doubled from 1000 to 2000 in the last two days of this week. NY had 222 yesterday. That is 81,000 in NY in a year, 6.5 times swine flu morbidity and Covid-19 has just gotten started killing Americans in other cities. The death rate per day will go up.

What is it going to do in your community? Are your leaders taking proactive measures or waiting to see what happens?

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Covid has the POTENTIAL to touch EVERY citizen. Will it? No. But the potential is there.

One stat I would like to see is per capita infections, per capita death rates. All these raw numbers are poor comparisons between countries.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Covid has the POTENTIAL to touch EVERY citizen. Will it? No. But the potential is there.

One stat I would like to see is per capita infections, per capita death rates. All these raw numbers are poor comparisons between countries.
Personally, I'd like to see a thread that does NOT start by throwing innuendo at the media and President Obama......but that's just me....

·
Registered
4,303 Posts
I would like to see this +()$#)#)(*ing virus disappear so I can go touring in the mainland

·
Registered
61 Posts
I just thought I’d pull together a few facts about death rates in the US to put all this into proper perspective. Here is the source I used, it is from 2017. The top 10 leading causes of death in the United States

The media has blown it way out of proportion.

By the way, in 2009 the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) estimates that swine flu infected nearly 61 million people in the United States and caused 12,469 deaths. This was during the Obama presidency. Did we shut the country down for that? Ha, it barely even made a blip on the radar or a sideline in the news media.
Well Fred, your perspective is ill-informed. Of the 10 causes of death you listed, only influenza is contagious. And your comparison of COVID-19 and swine flu is poor - COVID-19 is much more lethal than swine flue, and is more contagious to boot. Swine flu had a fatality rate of .02% versus COVID-19 at 1.0% to +4.0%.

We shouldn't minimize the risk of COVID-19 - the potential to kill hundreds of thousands, and maybe millions of Americans, is real. We can take the proper precautions to minimize deaths, and with good fiscal and monetary policy, limit damage to the economy.

Don't take my word for it, listen to people who know what they're doing. Dr. Anthony Fauci is leading the effort, and has worked with 6 presidents, including the current one.

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
Personally, I'd like to see a thread that does NOT start by throwing innuendo at the media and President Obama......but that's just me....
What??? I don't think the media nor Obama were mentioned until you brought it up? Personally, I would like to see a thread where natural or self induced disasters didn't start with a blame game! Or a political point counter point.

There was a moment, albeit a very short moment, where it seemed like there was bipartisan efforts to subdue this contagion.

Back to Fred's point, it boils down to what FDR said, "all we have to fear, is fear itself!". Why do you think people still won't fly when all the data says flying is much safer than driving.

·
Registered
404 Posts
What??? I don't think the media nor Obama were mentioned until you brought it up? Personally, I would like to see a thread where natural or self induced disasters didn't start with a blame game! Or a political point counter point.

There was a moment, albeit a very short moment, where it seemed like there was bipartisan efforts to subdue this contagion.

Back to Fred's point, it boils down to what FDR said, "all we have to fear, is fear itself!". Why do you think people still won't fly when all the data says flying is much safer than driving.
Funny, the post I read said "

By the way, in 2009 the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) estimates that swine flu infected nearly 61 million people in the United States and caused 12,469 deaths. This was during the Obama presidency. Did we shut the country down for that? Ha, it barely even made a blip on the radar or a sideline in the news media.

·
Registered
404 Posts
I didn't throw any innuendos at Obama, I simply stated that in 2009 during the Obama Presidency we did not shut down the country because of H1N1. And I don't think he should have either.

I didn't throw innuendo at the press either, I blatantly accuse them of blowing it out of proportion.

I encourage you to check back in 3 months and see if really turned out as bad as they predicted.
I've put a reminder in my calendar for June 29th... I truly hope you are right.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Reports I'm reading indicate the fatality rate is much lower than originally estimated, and now may even be below 1%.

I believe that the fear of the virus is going to do far more damage than the virus itself.
Let's hope it ends up below 1%. Keep an eye on actual numbers here:

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
Funny, the post I read said "

Ok, that was like looking through the haystack to find the needle to complain about. You know what I wish, I wish people would try, as hard as they can, to not find a damn conspiracy, innuendo, or political agenda in every comment made or thread posted. I personally don't believe this is the BIG one. The big one will have the communicative nature of this virus with a death rate above 50 percent. This isn't it, but it may be good practice.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
I have to say I think you're wrong about this Fred. When I see daily what's going on - actions initiated by state and local officials, the medical community overwhelmed and begging for support, warnings by many Drs that it's going to get MUCH worse before it gets better - perhaps MILLIONS of deaths worldwide, the current conditions in NYC, NJ, LA, CA ,IL - Italy, Spain and more recently in Central & South America - I don't think it's being overblown at all. I confess I did in the beginning; no more.. I sincerely HOPE you are correct and I am WRONG. We shall see...

·
Registered
404 Posts
Guys. Mysterious Mod & I have to read each one of these posts, looking for personal or political attacks. Please, do he and I a huge favor and keep things mellow?
Hopefully as a bit of humor here, My English Major better half said it should be "him and me" not "he and I"....grin.

1 - 20 of 95 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.