GL1800Riders Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
81 - 95 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
From your lips to god's ears, as they say, but the Spanish Flu was 100+ years ago, and we're talking about it (and the vast majority of us haven't Googled it).
And WHY are we talking about it? We're talking about it now because of COVID. Were we talking about it 6 months ago? No. Were we talking about it 5 years ago? No.

This has NOTHING to do with "tough talk". This has to do with the reality of life in the US where people can't see past their smartphones. And there is NO WAY to know if the vast majority of us have or haven't Googled the Spanish Flu.

330+ million Americans. There is NO WAY to know what the percentage will be until the pandemic is over. And the bloviating is him asking if I'll wager my life. Maybe rhetoric is a better word to use than bloviating.

·
Premium Member
2,072 Posts
And WHY are we talking about it? We're talking about it now because of COVID. Were we talking about it 6 months ago? No. Were we talking about it 5 years ago? No.

This has NOTHING to do with "tough talk". This has to do with the reality of life in the US where people can't see past their smartphones. And there is NO WAY to know if the vast majority of us have or haven't Googled the Spanish Flu.

330+ million Americans. There is NO WAY to know what the percentage will be until the pandemic is over. And the bloviating is him asking if I'll wager my life. Maybe rhetoric is a better word to use than bloviating.
There is a way to know how many Americans Googled Spanish Flu. Google knows to single digits. I'm sure it's a lot, but it's clearly an exaggeration to state that the majority of people had to Google it to know about it. It was among the first things I thought of when this hit, and I didn't have to Google it. It's common knowledge. I may not think about it from day to day--I don't think about the Vietnam War from day to day--but I and most people know about it without having to Google it.

As Charlie Chan would say, Sorry to contradict, please, but we do know precisely what the percentage of COVID-19-related deaths is in specific demographics in other countryies where this pale rider has passed by. There's every reason to assume the figures will be similar here, and possibly worse. As of this moment, there are just under 165,000 known cases and nearly 3200 deaths in the US. Those numbers are increasing exponentially. There's no reasonable doubt that deaths will reach 50.000--at a minimum--before a vaccine is available. So is talking about 50,000 deaths, one of which might be yours, rhetoric? (Side note--what are the anti-vaxxers going to do when there is a COVID-19 vaccine?)

Tough talk is exactly what this is about. It's got nothing to do with smart phones. It's got to do with smart behavior.

I know you and others think this is over-hyped, but you're wrong. If anything, it's under-hyped. You'll be on solid ground to tell me it's your decision and none of my business, but you're wrong about that too. Mostly I/we would like to see you and yours still be around when this is over.

·
Love The DCT
11,447 Posts
There is a way to know how many Americans Googled Spanish Flu. Google knows to single digits. I'm sure it's a lot, but it's clearly an exaggeration to state that the majority of people had to Google it to know about it. It was among the first things I thought of when this hit, and I didn't have to Google it. It's common knowledge. I may not think about it from day to day--I don't think about the Vietnam War from day to day--but I and most peole know about it without having to Google it.

As Charlie Chan would say, Sorry to contradict, please, but we do know precisely what the percentage of COVID-19-related deaths is in specific demographics in other countryies where this pale rider has passed by. There's every reason to assume the figures will be similar here, and possibly worse. As of this moment, there are just under 165,000 US known cases and nearly 3200 deaths. Those numbers are increasing exponentially. There's no reasonable doubt that it will reach 50.000--at a minimum--before a vaccine is available. So is talking about 50,000 deaths, one of which might be yours, rhetoric? (Side note--what are the anti-vaxxers going to do about this vaccine?)

Tough talk is exactly what this is about. It's got nothing to do with smart phones. It's got to do with smart behavior.

I know it's none of my business, but I/we would like to see you and yours still be around when this is over.
At 9:30 PDT, there were over 174,000 known cases and over 3400 deaths in the U.S.

·
Registered
404 Posts
I apologize for starting this thread, if I could delete it I would. It was done in a moment of frustration over the current situation.
Open discussion is good. Posts have been generally respectful. This thread elsewhere would have likely been a war.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
It's common knowledge.
To you. That is the only definitive. And MAYBE to your generation. As to the Spanish Flu being common knowledge to the US population at large, you have nothing to support that assumption. Again, it is being talked about NOW because of COVID. It was NOT talked about or even newsworthy 6 months ago.

·
Premium Member
2,072 Posts
To you. That is the only definitive. And MAYBE to your generation. As to the Spanish Flu being common knowledge to the US population at large, you have nothing to support that assumption. Again, it is being talked about NOW because of COVID. It was NOT talked about or even newsworthy 6 months ago.
Nor was the Vietnam War talked about or even newsworthy 6 months ago. That doesn't mean no one knows about it.

·
Registered
8,963 Posts
How many people know ANYTHING about the Spanish Flu unless they Google it? VERY few. Even in Kansas.
Um, the people that's most in demand in this little pandemic...people with medical skills and knowledge.

Y'know, those very same people that are being rushed into duty to help. Medical students, nurses, respiratory therapists and many others.

·
Registered
8,963 Posts
Look, your term you used...but, I'll rescind the wager. 😷

And I wonder why. Could it be hospitals were driven out of existence? Could it be doctors weren't being paid enough? Could it be nurses were underpaid and overworked? IDK, but I bet this will all be forgotten in less than 2 years.
I'm simply asking what the wager is, and thought if we're 'playin' for keepsies', we might put something out there on the table. Millions of our fellow citizens are having to do that every day simply to survive. Yesterday, the gov't says "Closed for April" (finally!) and for darn good reasons. The facts ain't lyin...

Dr. Anthony Fauci, the longtime director for the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases and emerging face of American leadership in the fight against the virus, estimated that the U.S. may see between 100,000 and 200,000 deaths from COVID-19, the deadly disease caused by the novel coronavirus. A deeply-respected authority on viral diseases, Fauci assisted in guiding the federal response to SARS, MERS, Ebola and now the novel coronavirus.
This won't be forgotten in two years. When those numbers of your fellow US citizens die as a result of this single event...no way anybody alive today is going to forget that.

Have we forgotten about other tragic events in our history - not to mention our lifetimes? Doubt it...and suspect this will very well be another touchstone of our lifetimes.

Provided we live thru it.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
This won't be forgotten in two years. When those numbers of your fellow US citizens die as a result of this single event...no way anybody alive today is going to forget that.

Have we forgotten about other tragic events in our history - not to mention our lifetimes? Doubt it...and suspect this will very well be another touchstone of our lifetimes.

Provided we live thru it.
A cursory look at Jay Leno's old Jaywalking vids dealing with history put a damper on your theory.

Here is just one example.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Look, your term you used...but, I'll rescind the wager. 😷
And it was your rhetoric about my life, what ever that was supposed to mean. O.k., and I'll change my term to "I won't be surprised if this is forgotten in 2 years".

·
Premium Member
2,072 Posts
A cursory look at Jay Leno's old Jaywalking vids dealing with history put a damper on your theory.

Here is just one example.
That's what we call a "straw-man argument." These interviews are edited to be funny by showing mostly idiots. Someone knowing that Thomas Jefferson's Virginia home was called Monticello isn't compelling or funny or entertaining television. They select people to show who don't remember their own addresses.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
That's what we call a "straw-man argument." These interviews are edited to be funny by showing mostly idiots. Someone knowing that Thomas Jefferson's Virginia home was called Monticello isn't compelling or funny or entertaining television. They select people to show who don't remember their own addresses.
Does not.

81 - 95 of 95 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.