GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I installed a new rear tire about a month and 1000 miles ago (Pirelli SC-RF). It had been sitting in a corner, mounted and ready, for about six months, as a new spare. I had not noticed any air loss during that six months, but after putting it on the GL1800, it immediately began to lose about 2 PSI per day. I tried a new valve core, to no avail. Next, removed it from the bike, broke it down off the bead, and cleaned the heck out of the wheel and tire beads, on both sides. I then applied, "ExtraSeal" on the wheel and tire beads, again to no avail. So today, I installed another new spare tire & wheel (Bridgestone DG-RF) that had been sitting awhile, with no air loss.

Will get back to the other tire later, but life is too short to put up with a pesky leak like that.

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
Get a large, rectangular storage container. Stand the tire in the container. Add sufficient water into the container to cover the height of the tire and the rim. Slowly rotate the tire in the container looking for air bubbles.

·
Registered
20,763 Posts
Had a brandnew rear motorcycle tire that was loosing a couple psi per day, couldn’t tell why Or where it was leaking , pumped it up to 50 psi and rode it 12 miles to work and 12 miles home, it never leaked again.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Had a brandnew rear motorcycle tire that was loosing a couple psi per day, couldn’t tell why Or where it was leaking , pumped it up to 50 psi and rode it 12 miles to work and 12 miles home, it never leaked again.
I aired this one up to 44 several times, and discovered I could pace the leak by counting the days, i.e. seven days = 14 pounds lost. Will get back to it later, probably next spring. But will not remount it if I cannot find the leak. When I initially had the tire mounted, I noticed the 'T' valve stem had been rotated about 45 degrees. Later, in learning to mount a CT myself, I discovered it would be easy to snag a tire bead on the backside of the 'T' valve. Not sure that is what happened but, if so, it may have damaged the tire bead, and/or rubber base of the 'T' valve. For sure, will inspect the tire bead carefully, and install a new 'T' valve just in case.

Just another reason why I wanted to learn to change my own CTs on the GoldWing. I much rather do it myself.

Also, this gives me a chance to compare a new Pirelli SC to a new Bridgestone DG, regarding handling on the GL1800. :)

·
Registered
16,629 Posts
Joe, non-ammonia formulae Windex is good to show bubbles quickly. If you try that sucker again, spritz the bead to rim seam on both sides and check for a beard of suds after about 10 minutes. If not the Schrader and not a poor eating, then you probably have a bad sidewall.

prs

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
Or find a tire store with the big round tank with the apparatus to push the entire Assembly under water at once. Then there is no doubt where the leak is coming from. Sometimes you have to flip the tire and resubmerge.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
the big round tank with the apparatus to push the entire Assembly under water at once. Then there is no doubt where the leak is coming from.
I did that once in a backyard swimming pool for my fifth wheel's air hitch. Found the leak.

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Joe, check the valve tube first. When you cleaned the rim bead, was the valve tube removed? Had them leak there because of buildup. Also make sure the valve core is seated, and the valve cap has its o-ring in it and if the cap is plastic, it doesn't have a crack somewhere on it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts