GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While riding yesterday my PGM light came on, I stopped shut off bike for a minute or two. Started it up no light so I took off riding,some miles down the road it came back on. Half way to my other house so I rode it on home. I did stop at a Honda Dealer but they where no help. Checked my service manual but still not sure if it is ok to go riding Friday ( about 260 miles). Will check with dealer at that end of the ride.OH will I was stopped at the dealer when I got back on and started riding the light never came back on. Stopped for about half hour, ride on in was about 70 miles. No flashing light codes that I have found yet.Where do I look and and what for ????

Thanks for the help in advance.:bow:

·
Registered
5,921 Posts
Hey Jerry, isn't that just a reminder that you are riding a Plum Great Motorcycle?

Hey, you headed North or South today?

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,197 Posts
While riding yesterday my PGM light came on, I stopped shut off bike for a minute or two. Started it up no light so I took off riding,some miles down the road it came back on. Half way to my other house so I rode it on home. I did stop at a Honda Dealer but they where no help. Checked my service manual but still not sure if it is ok to go riding Friday ( about 260 miles). Will check with dealer at that end of the ride.OH will I was stopped at the dealer when I got back on and started riding the light never came back on. Stopped for about half hour, ride on in was about 70 miles. No flashing light codes that I have found yet.Where do I look and and what for ????

Thanks for the help in advance.:bow:
I'm guessing you mean the FI light and the ECM "sees" an issue. That dealer has no clue. He could have pulled the seat, hooked up his toy and checked for the code. You will have to wait until the FI light comes on again. When it does, pull over, put it in neutral, and put down the side stand. It will blink the code in long and short flashes, count them and look them up in the manual or come back here and we can look it up. Don't turn it off or you will have to wait for the light to come on again.

Example is 1 long, and 2 short =12

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I will see what happens on the way north today. I did notice that when I stopped to put gas in when i put the kick stand down it died in neutral but did not notice flashing light on dash. Can the dealer hook up their toy and get the code even after I have shut off the bike or do I have to leave it running??? Thanks for the info :bow:

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,197 Posts
I will see what happens on the way north today. I did notice that when I stopped to put gas in when i put the kick stand down it died in neutral but did not notice flashing light on dash. Can the dealer hook up their toy and get the code even after I have shut off the bike or do I have to leave it running??? Thanks for the info :bow:
OK, if it dies when you put down the side stand in neutral, there's an issue with the side stand interlock circuit or the gear position switch circuit and it can cause the light to come on while riding, depending on what the culprit is. Do you get a good neutral light when it's in neutral? The dealer can retrieve the code even after the bike is turned off. His toy can pull it straight from the ECM's memory.

·
Vendor
21,871 Posts
OK, if it dies when you put down the side stand in neutral, there's an issue with the side stand interlock circuit or the gear position switch circuit and it can cause the light to come on while riding, depending on what the culprit is. Do you get a good neutral light when it's in neutral? The dealer can retrieve the code even after the bike is turned off. His toy can pull it straight from the ECM's memory.
It depends on the type of code. All "soft" codes are erased when the key is shut off. An example of a soft code would be an out of range signal from an O2 sensor. "Hard" codes that indicate a component failure will be stored, and can be retrieved later.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
OK

Neutral light is good, getting ready to head north and will see how it goes. Will stop at local dealer up there and see what they can find.I will report as to what they find,if anything. Thanks again

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,197 Posts
It depends on the type of code. All "soft" codes are erased when the key is shut off. An example of a soft code would be an out of range signal from an O2 sensor. "Hard" codes that indicate a component failure will be stored, and can be retrieved later.
Do you know of any list that shows what the ECM considers a hard code versus a soft code? I know the fuel injector codes are hard, but what else?

·
Vendor
21,871 Posts
Do you know of any list that shows what the ECM considers a hard code versus a soft code? I know the fuel injector codes are hard, but what else?
Nope, sorry I don't. This info was given to me by a Honda tech, and I don't know which codes are persistent in memory. But I think if you put the sidestand down and read out the code with the engine still running, you should be able to see what it is. Once you turn off the key, it may be lost until it happens again.

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,197 Posts
Manual shows it as the PGM ll looks like a engine, secound from the left. 2010 level 3.
Yea, they changed the light to look like an engine so it matched what autos have had for years. It's still the MIL, malfunction indicator light and it will still blink the failure code from the ECM. Honda likes using the PGM FI stuff because it sounds more high tech, we all know it's a programmed fuel injection system.:roll: How did it do today?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It ran just great all the here (260 miles) and doing great now, will see how it does Monday headed back south. Dealer covered up with people and stated that they could look at it next week.Never did see any flashing lights on dash. THANKS for all the info and help if and when it happens again I will post up as to what I find.Will try to get it to dealer soon to see if code is still there. THANKS AGAIN.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts