GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,678 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to the Patriot Guard Riders (PGR) and am looking forward to my first mission. I need advise...I am close to Arlington National Cemetery...and am planning to serve on missions there...I want to use 3X5 flags mounted on my GW. Any advise as to how you mount them?...what poles you use?...what you wear?...etc...any help is welcome. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
Here is a web site for the local GWRRA chapter in Daytona Beach. They routinely carry flags in parades and shows. There are several contacts there for you.

http://fl1h.org/

S

·
0 Posts
Jerry, I put my flag in my trailer hitch. I took some old tent poles and made a new flag pole with a stud in the bottom so I can bolt it into the hitch. I used bigger tubing so it could take faster speeds. I also drilled holes in each segment so I can put in zip ties. It's a little over kill but I did not want the flag to ever fall.

Tom

·
Registered
211 Posts
Welcome Jerry, I know honoring our fallen hero's will be one of the most satisfying things you've ever done. On the PGR website just reading the Letters of Appreciation from the families of the fallen gives me misty eyes and makes it all worthwhile.

I know that on the missions I've been on all the 3x5 flags were furled other than at parade speeds or for static display. I don't know if you have to do any hwy or interstate speeds but I think that's a lot of cloth flapping in the vision of the formation behind you. I know here in Florida the trip to the National Cemetary in Bushnell always includes a ride on I-75 and that can get hairy in formation. Spitzer and Tequilaroy's suggestions sound like good ones, unlike the HD's and other metric crusiers we don't have a lot of exposed frame to hook to and that's a problem for even the small flags.

I don't have a luggage rack so I had to figure out something else for the small flags. I took a 1/2" x 3' rod and made a cap for one end, slide the flags on the rod and slip the rods down behind the passenger back rest. It's just a pressure fit but they don't move, you can see the void that I use if you open the trunk, it's where the backrest, trunk and armrest meet.

As far as a as "What to wear" there is no uniform. I have a vest that has my VET patches on it. They do ask that if you have vest that has anything obscene on any of the patches (@#$% Jane Fonda comes to mind) cover them as to not offend the family. I've also found that comfortable boots w/inserts are a must for me. Nothing like having your dogs hurt from standing in a flag line for a couple of hours.

I struggled with a few types of flag poles to use with the 3x5 flag in the flag line. Here's where to get a nice telescoping one that will fit in the side bag and they will discount it to PGR members.
http://www.flagpoletogo.net/buy.htm

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
In all of the missions I've been on I haven't seen any 3'x5' flags on Goldwings running down the road. I do know of a couple HD riders who can run them up to 50-55 mph but not any faster without loosing them. Every one of those has been based on a trailer hitch but one and that was a rather elaborate frame mounted set up that I don't think would translate well to a Wing.

Even if you mount the bottom of your flag pole to a trailer hitch I'm not sure that securing the middle of the pole to something like your luggage rack would be a great idea for the health and well-being of your plastic trunk lid.

Good luck with whatever you decide. I hope this helps. :D

·
Registered
4,179 Posts
You have a PM.

·
Registered
165 Posts
flags on wing

I have a RIVCO mount on my hitch that I transferred from my Harley to the new wing. Have flown 3x5's at highway speed, but flags dont last too long
Made poles out of chrome closet rods.

·
Registered
3,678 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the great info. I have decided to go with the RIVCO Hitch mount.

http://www.wingstuff.com/pgroup_detail/ ... 0&type=mfg

Twyn...Thanks for the pictures and your time...

Now all I need to figure out is the poles...and which flags, and where to purchase...I also want Flags that can be furled (covered) anyone know where I can purchase a leather or water proof flag furl?

flaman2u...Thanks for the link on the poles...

http://www.flagpoletogo.net/buy.htm

ummmmm so much to consider...again...thanks to all that responded both here and in private...to my dire need...Its for a great cause...

By the way here is a great link for mounting flags...

http://www.patriotguard.org/Forums/tabi ... fault.aspx

·
Registered
3,678 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
As it turns out I'm looking for...Flag Covers (cases)...not furls...Leather or Vinyl...let me know. Thanks.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Jerry
Isn't this board amazing! You'll find the answer to most questions, it's a good group of knowlegable people.

I just posted a question on the new member scection of the PGR forum asking if there were any flag companies that supported the PGR. While doing a search in the forum I came up with this link talking about heavy duty flags that won't shred. http://patriotguard.org/Forums/tabid/61/view/topic/forumid/147/postid/215303/Default.aspx

You might ask about the flag covers on the PGR forum. I think some individual was making them.

·
Registered
4,179 Posts
I take my flag off, fold it and put in the trunk. I have seen guys roll their flags then slip a cover over them when they ride, but usually because they don't have trunk/saddlebag space.

If I were to go that route, I'd take some heavy material such as nice denim and make a long sack with a drawstring at the bottom. If it and the flag got wet it'd be ok. I think it's easier, and quicker, to take it off and fold it though.

My flag is a heavy one with embroidered stars and heavy duty grommets and hangs on my house nearly every day between PGR rides.

You may not want to take a flag on the first couple to see how others have done theirs and what they've used for poles. Ask them about their set ups, 99% of them are good guys that will share their experiences.

Good luck on the ride. :flg:

·
Registered
3,809 Posts
Jerry

I made a flag pole out of PVC pipe, pieces just long enough to fit in my trunk or saddle bag, went the the UPS store and bought a tube for mailing large round rolls of printed papers, cut it to the length that would fit in either the trunk or saddle bags and roll the flag up and it stores easily.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts