GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife and I will be traveling through Pennsylvania with another couple in early September this year, after seeing the sights with my buddies brother in SW Pennsylvania we wanted to go through Philly and see Independance Hall and some other sights. When my buddy told his brother about the plan he recommended that we stay the hell out of Philly due to traffic and construction and angry drivers. Has anybody been there lately, is it that bad? Should we stay someplace close and ride a train into town? My buddy is nervous about riding there and is also nervous about leaving his bike at a train station(Harley Ultra) but I really want to go for the history of the city. Any ideas?

·
Registered
3,344 Posts
I would try and contact a tour company and arrange for a bus tour and secure parking in their lot. Parking at all those tourist sights will be a nightmare, not to mention the driving.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Find a hotel along the River Line (light rail train system), with covered garage parking. The line runs from Camden/Philly to Trenton. There is alot to see and do, many places to eat. Riding in Philly is like riding in any big city in the North East - roads are not in the best shape and drivers are aggressive. There is crime, but it's not like having a hold up at every intersection. You will need reservations for some of the sites in Philly. Don't avoid the trip, just be more careful.
If time permits, Gettysburg is worth a stop across Pa. The museum here and the food are great. Alot going on because of the 150th anniversary.

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
I would drive/ride MILES out of my way to avoid driving anything in downtown Philly.. Good advice given to stay in the 'burbs and take the train into downtown. Parking fees alone at downtown hotels can run around $30 a night...

·
Registered
3 Posts
I live about an hour north of Philly. Riding in and around the city can be tough especially during the rush hours (6:30am-9:30am/ 3:30pm-6:30pm). It's almost a certainty you will hit construction of some sort. However, if you avoid the rush hour I think you will find it manageable. The train idea into center city is not a bad idea either. I don' t think you would experience any trouble leaving your bikes at a northern suburb train station. Route 76, aka the schuykill expressway, is the main route in and out of the city. Lincoln Dr. To Kelly Dr. (Lincoln Dr. exit is off 76) into center city is a nice ride ( just avoid the rush hour). Kelly Dr. Will route you along the Schuykill river which is rather scenic.

There is some great riding territory just north of the city if you have time. If your interested, drop me a line and I'd be happy to shown you around. Have a safe ride!!

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanx

Tthanks for the replies, the other rider has only been riding for a couple of years and this will be his first motorcycle trip. We will probably not ride into Philly and we will play it by ear as to whether or not we catch any of the sights in Philly by train or bus. I wont make him go or do anything he is not comfortable with, he is already a little antsy about spending a week on a motorcycle, we just want to have fun and relax.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts