GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About two weeks ago I asked for suggestions for trips around Phoenix for a week-long visit we would have to the area. Thanks very much to all who responded with great ideas.
We stayed in Mesa with friends who arrived earlier and had an opportunity to scope the area for a few weeks ahead of us. In five days of riding we rode:
1. Out to Tortilla Flats. Short ride on a beautiful, tortured bit of asphalt! Great burgers and an excellent band.
2. To see the fountain at Fountain Hills, and out toward Payson, back past Saguaro Lake.
3. Up Hwy 17 to Sedona, back through Jerome, Prescott, and Wickenburg. This was a most amazing trip, close to 400 miles with fantastic mountain roads on the return side from Sedona. Excellent!! The downside was 40 miles of freeway between Mesa and Hwy 17 out of town; I have never experienced freeways/traffic like that!! In hindsight, it would have been a good idea to have made this an overnighter and gone on up to Flagstaff.
4. Out to Globe via Oracle and Superior, good roads and scenery and a great Chinese food buffet lunch at Globe.
5. Out to Payson, and again back by Saguaro Lake. Excellent for a 4 lane highway, and the back road past the lake is a beautiful ride.
We rented a GL1800 ABS from Arizona FunTime Rentals; great service from Jerry, and what a fantastic bike. I understand well how most on this board are such enthusiasts. The fine Valk Interstate waiting out winter in my garage has some career security issues...
Great friends, bikes, weather, roads and destinations made for an excellent riding vacation. We enjoyed near perfect weather for the week, now back home in the cold and wet waiting for April.
Don

·
Registered
3,699 Posts
Did you see any tiled roofs or cactus????

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Phoenix GL1800 Rental

Tell us about your rental. Year of bike, cost and condition of bike.

Thanks
Rented from Arizona FunTime Rentals; a red 2008 ABS with 11,000 miles on it. Rate was about $120 per day, for 3 or more days, plus Arizona's collective taxes of about 16%. Total for 6 days was $833. This seemed consistent with other rental outfits prices. An additional cost would be comprehensive insurance if you did not already have it with existing coverage. FunTime also had very flexible return times, not limited to their office hours.
Don

·
Registered
5,823 Posts
Rented from Arizona FunTime Rentals; a red 2008 ABS with 11,000 miles on it. Rate was about $120 per day, for 3 or more days, plus Arizona's collective taxes of about 16%. Total for 6 days was $833. This seemed consistent with other rental outfits prices. An additional cost would be comprehensive insurance if you did not already have it with existing coverage. FunTime also had very flexible return times, not limited to their office hours.
Don
That sounds like a winner I will keep that in mind :coffee1:

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Arizona in the winter...

Did you see any tiled roofs or cactus????
First trip to Arizona; no lawns, tiled roofs, cactus of course, but most impressive for someone from a cooler, wetter climate was picking fresh oranges and grapefruit for breakfast!! And as much as driving through the city's freeways was pretty intimidating, I was very impressed with their highway systems.
Don

·
Registered
3,025 Posts
Looks like you had a good ride and got to see some of our beautiful desert. Next time, hope you can change your time frame and take in the high country of the White Mountains....The Coronado Trail (Hwy 191 formerly Hwy 666.)

·
Registered
8,816 Posts
Looks like you had a good ride and got to see some of our beautiful desert. Next time, hope you can change your time frame and take in the high country of the White Mountains....The Coronado Trail (Hwy 191 formerly Hwy 666.)
:agree: ...and, some of south-eastern AZ, including Tombstone, Bisbee, Patagonia... Hey, another trip next time?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts