GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wife and I are thinking of moving to a place where its warm. Phoenix area has some hi-tech industry that I can probably find something at. So the question becomes, where? Seems like there are a lot of suburb areas, Peoria, Glendale, Chandler, Mesa, Scottsdale, Tempe, and many more. Aside from hotter than **** in the summer, whats its gonna be like?

Western WA is pretty 2 months out of the year, but I am tired of the rain. Bad roads not getting fixed and rated among the worst traffic on the country. Seattle has pretty much gone to ****. And now its spreading. High cost of living and some of the worst taxes, etc. At our age the wife really needs the warmer climate. Roads and traffic can only be better, etc. Need to start doing some research.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
If you have any hi-tech experience you won't have an issue finding a job for sure.

But where to live? Everyone would have a different opinion on that. Scottsdale is generally considered the "higher-class" option. Tempe is more college-oriented. Stay out of Maryvale (west Phoenix) unless you like the sound of gunfire in your neighborhood. Everywhere else is just personal preference. The further you get out of the center of Phoenix the newer everything gets. It's growing fast, unfortunately.

Come on down for a week or two in June and get a feel for the highest temps. The days are hot but the mornings and evenings are beautiful. The humidity builds some in July and August during the monsoons, but it's all relative...:wink2: High humidity here is considered dry in Alabama!

If you're coming you better hurry and get your spot! The mass exodus of California escapees are blazing a trail here and pushing the home prices up! :surprise:

·
Registered
2,899 Posts
I would live close to Chase Stadium so I could walk to DBacks baseball games. Probably buy season tickets. I’m retired.

If I was working, I would rent a little until your settled where you want to work and then get somewhat close to work. Commuting to work sucks....

·
Registered
5,623 Posts
My father-in -law lived in phoenix AZ

Ronnie

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
I would say find out where you would like to work, unless you can work from home, and then choose a place on the periphery nearest there. Phoenix is a big city and daily commutes into it are a pain. On the other hand, you can do them almost 365 on the bike!

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
A wise orthopedic Doctor back in NY told us "the dry heat will only help you, if it will help you". Sounds strange but it's true. All the dry & hot did was keep my wife inside..

Reactions: CAWing

·
Registered
13 Posts
Need to start doing some research.

Your commute will be a large consideration. Living close to where you work is a good idea. (Living in the West Valley and having a job in the east valley means an hour commute).

Just as bad as home prices, the apartment market is even worse (high cost and unfavorable leases). You might look at a short term Airbnb(?)

Call when you're out for a visit. Let's have coffee.

·
Registered
857 Posts
I lived in Edmonds for 30 years. I moved to Yuma 3 years ago. Best decision we ever made.

·
Registered
5,244 Posts
I've been in metro Phoenix area since 1954 this month (january)... If you work daytime hours , mon - friday.. the commute is rough. My 34 mile commute on the freeways is near 1 hour in the afternoon with the HOV lane use. I prefer to live east of my work place. Ride in to work facing away from the sun. The ride home, the sun is behind me. You may not like the summer heat to ride the bike 110* to 116*F is seen often. If you are looking for a stand alone type house, condo ... I would suggest looking in an area that SRP Electric service is. Cheaper electric rates than the common APS Service electric.

·
Registered
567 Posts
the east valley is by far better to live in for the Phoenix area.
I lived in Mesa for 20 years, worked at 11st and Jefferson ( by the ball park )
and always keeping the sun behind your back is a godsend.

and yes, I rode my gl1500 to work/back every day. even in 115* temps
you learn to aclimate..... walk into the shower, get your shirt and jeans wet, pull on your mesh jacket and wet it down, and ride home. great A/C on the bike.... lasts for about 30 minutes at 115*F

·
Registered
124 Posts
I agree with others that the east valley is the better place. There are more technology companies in the east valley with Intel being a huge anchor in Chandler, and Price Road in Chandler is pretty much Technology Central whether you're talking bank card processing, PayPal, satellite development (Northrup Grumman and Iridium), data centers (CyrusOne and H5), OnTrac, etc. Lots of big players are in Chandler. Gilbert would then be next on my list for Tech companies followed by Mesa and then the general Phoenix area. (IMHO of course) ;)

What is your tech background?

Any kids? Gilbert and Chandler have pretty good school districts.

Crime? Gilbert and Chandler are usually rated near the best in Arizona on many surveys.

Yes, the commute can be brutal so heed the advice of others and try not to have it be very far. When I was commuting to Scottsdale up the 101 my 24 mile commute would take 45 - 75 minutes depending upon the time of day and the number of accidents. When I was commuting to Gilbert (I retired last week) my commute was also 24 miles and it would take me 25-30 minutes because all the other traffic was flowing the opposite direction.

I live in the retirement community of Sun Lakes which sits next to the SW corner of Chandler; we have Chandler to the north and east of us, and the Gila River Indian Reservation to the south and west. I have worked all over the Phoenix area and the only place I would live is the east valley, unless I won the lottery and then I'd move to the Paradise Valley or Scottsdale areas.

I am an Arizona native so I can tell you that you will get used to the heat. You won't like it, but you'll get used to it. We have the White Mountains of Arizona (Show Low, Pinetop, Lakeside are the major places) about 4 hours drive time to the NE of here which allows you to get away from the heat for the weekend if you like. There is also skiing there and in the Flagstaff area during the winter. We have a small place in Show Low so we can go up any time we like and cool off a bit. Temps are normally about 20+ degrees cooler up there.

Let us know if you have any other questions.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
A plus for the East side.
Rudy's Bar-B-Q in Chandler is better than the one in Goodyear, and it's easier to get in and out of Fry's Electronics off Baseline rd.

·
Registered
9,200 Posts
Fry's Electronics? :geek:

Ghost town these days - dying on the vine.

Back to the subject at hand...

Western Washington (according to Wikipedia...) has roughly 80% of the population of the entire state of Washington - 5.2 million vs 6.7 million people.

Maricopa County has roughly 4.4 million out of the 7 million (~62%) that live in the entire state.

A hundred miles south, there's one major and a handful of smaller hi-tech firms that could also be in consideration. I'm sure your LinkedIn searches may have also shown this to you.

Roads? Traffic? Don't be so sure. My son's mother-in-law is in the Western Washington region, and he's compared traffic there with the traffic at home in L.A.

A bit more conservative the further north in the state you go. Where I'm at, here in ¡Baja Arizona!, it's still a bit more of the Wild West.

I mean, a lot to consider...but 200 people per day arrive in Maricopa County, moving from other areas of the country. ?

Think about that.

·
Registered
5,073 Posts
Wife and I are thinking of moving to a place where its warm. Phoenix area has some hi-tech industry that I can probably find something at. So the question becomes, where? Seems like there are a lot of suburb areas, Peoria, Glendale, Chandler, Mesa, Scottsdale, Tempe, and many more. Aside from hotter than **** in the summer, whats its gonna be like?

Western WA is pretty 2 months out of the year, but I am tired of the rain. Bad roads not getting fixed and rated among the worst traffic on the country. Seattle has pretty much gone to ****. And now its spreading. High cost of living and some of the worst taxes, etc. At our age the wife really needs the warmer climate. Roads and traffic can only be better, etc. Need to start doing some research.
Mesa has alot of retired people that live there during the winter

1 - 15 of 15 Posts