GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seems to me the USB connection in the storage area in front of the seat barely holds it's own. Does the connection in the left saddlebag, if added, charge any faster?

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
I have no problem with my IPhone charging in the cubby. On my 30 minute ride home my phone charged from 82% to 89%

Reactions: Kenichi

·
Registered
19,248 Posts
Wow. My cubby hole charger charges EXTREMELY FAST. Make sure you have an Apple Brand Cable. It do matter

Reactions: RickLB

·
Registered
7,562 Posts
My android charges quickly too.

It might depend on what the phone is doing at the time, and/or the temp of the phone when charging is attempted. Might also be a cable issue.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Sounds like I need to try another cable!
Well, I don't see the logic in using a name brand cable since we are talking milliamps anyway. As long as you have the right type of cable and it doesn't have any internal breaks in the wire, you should be okay. Now, your home charger may put out more charging current and will therefore charge faster. Try not to have as many apps running when plugged into the bike and make sure the display is off.

Big H

·
Registered
225 Posts
I use the cubby for my work iPhone and use CarPlay and Waze on it and it's always charged when I remove it. I put my Android in my saddle bag. I've never noticed issues with neither of them not charging. The iPhone has both GPS and the personal hotspot turned on.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Well, I don't see the logic in using a name brand cable since we are talking milliamps anyway. As long as you have the right type of cable and it doesn't have any internal breaks in the wire, you should be okay. Now, your home charger may put out more charging current and will therefore charge faster. Try not to have as many apps running when plugged into the bike and make sure the display is off.

Big H
not true. a lot of carplay issues have been traced to knock off cables. apple cables are different in the plug. theres a proprietary chipset in the connector.

·
Registered
19,248 Posts
not true. a lot of carplay issues have been traced to knock off cables. apple cables are different in the plug. theres a proprietary chipset in the connector.

Absolutely correct. :nerd:

·
Registered
283 Posts
I understand. However, his question had to do with charging and not Apple features like Carplay. I was only referring to charging issues. If you and others are telling me that you must have a genuine Apple charging cable to charge your phone, I simply don't get it. I don't use Carplay but have had the Iphone7s and used non-Apple brand cables for charging and PC communication without any issues. Not trying to say you are wrong, like I was told. I think we have gotten off the main reason why he posted in the first place.

Big H

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
I understand. However, his question had to do with charging and not Apple features like Carplay. I was only referring to charging issues. If you and others are telling me that you must have a genuine Apple charging cable to charge your phone, I simply don't get it. I don't use Carplay but have had the Iphone7s and used non-Apple brand cables for charging and PC communication without any issues. Not trying to say you are wrong, like I was told. I think we have gotten off the main reason why he posted in the first place.

Big H
were not off course. since there are differences between cables and they do make a difference on the new wing, his issue of a slow charge, where the rest of us experience fast charging times, may be due to the cable. you can charge an iphone with pretty much any cord, but not every cord plays well on the new Honda. the same holds true for flash drives. some dont work well on the bike. just trying to help him figure this out

1 - 12 of 12 Posts