GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have my phone mounted on my handlebars with an X-Grip.

I was riding down the Interstate a few days ago and I got a pop up message that I frankly did not pay any attention to. I rode another 20 miles or so and stopped to get something to drink and looked at the message. The popup said t said my phone was too cold to charge. I had seen my phone get too hot to charge before, but never too cold. Have others had this issue or is it just the Samsung phones that insist on being "comfortable" or they won't charge?

BTW: The temperature was about 28 degrees and I was perfectly comfortable riding down the road with my Gerbings jacket liner and gloves with Motoport AirTex pant liners and LDC pants. I was also wearing an LDC helmet liner which seems to help keep my head warm.

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
Phone

Let me guess, your phone is in the windstream. Wind chill maybe causing the pop-up message. Are you using the phone for Nav? If not, maybe placing it in a jacket pocket might help.

Just had a crazy thought. Maybe someone makes a heater cover for phones? Or a cover that protects the phone from heat and cold.

Good luck,

Rayjoe

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Phone

Let me guess, your phone is in the windstream. Wind chill maybe causing the pop-up message. Are you using the phone for Nav? If not, maybe placing it in a jacket pocket might help.

Just had a crazy thought. Maybe someone makes a heater cover for phones? Or a cover that protects the phone from heat and cold.

Good luck,

Rayjoe
I use my phone for a lot of things including navigation , but it will run or several hours without the charger while I'm riding if I shut Waze off. My primary navigation tool is my Garmin GPS. The problem is the phone will only charge for about 30 minutes or so when it is that cold before it gets upset. If it runs out of charge, I'll put it inside my coat next to my heated jacket liner.

I had heard of other people having a problem in the heat, but I did not know if others had the problem in the cold.

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wind chill

Phones don't get wind chill, cold ? Yes.:smile2:
I assume phones would get slightly colder in the wind than out of the wind because they do generate some heat. That heat would dissipate more quickly in the wind than if the air was not moving around them.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Lithium Ion batteries (as in your cell phone) cannot charge below 32 degrees F (or above 113. The wind was probably dissipating the heat quickly enough that the phone's internal temperature sensor was reading less than 32.

Link

·
Registered
1,038 Posts

I was riding down the Interstate a few days ago and I got a pop up message that I frankly did not pay any attention to. I rode another 20 miles or so and stopped to get something to drink and looked at the message. The popup said t said my phone was too cold to charge. I had seen my phone get too hot to charge before, but never too cold. Have others had this issue or is it just the Samsung phones that insist on being "comfortable" or they won't charge?

BTW: The temperature was about 28 degrees and I was perfectly comfortable riding down the road with my Gerbings jacket liner and gloves with Motoport AirTex pant liners and LDC pants. I was also wearing an LDC helmet liner which seems to help keep my head warm.
That is why they call them 'Smart' phones. It's telling you something....:grin2:

·
Registered
711 Posts
:agree:

·
Registered
711 Posts
The popup said t said my phone was too cold to charge. I had seen my phone get too hot to charge before, but never too cold.

BTW: The temperature was about 28 degrees
The phone's battery was likely freezing at 28, causing the message. If it were inside your jacket connected to a charger, likely no problem.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Nope wind does not make it colder. The temp number is the same in or out of the wind. Wind can dissipate what heat the body or a phone is generating so that it feels colder but actually it is still the same.
The ambient temperature will be the same, but the phone will be colder. That's why we use fans when devices get hot. It helps dissipate the heat. Riding with the phone in the air stream will indeed lower the internal temperature of the phone since it is a source of heat.

He corrected himself and admitted that wind chill was a poor choice of words. Wind chill is a fictitious (read unmeasurable) estimate that attempts to compensate for the effect of wind on living tissue.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Lithium Ion batteries are pretty much immune to cold. It won't damage them. But there is another consideration.

We have all read about the severe and violent accidents with lithium ion batteries, which shows how dangerous they can be. And we have also seen recalls of laptops and phones where the charging process went haywire. A battery charger's only feedback on the charge status of a battery is its peak voltage. As a battery charges, its voltage rises. This is at best a poor gauge of a battery's state of charge, but it's all we've got.

When the temperature of a battery drops, its chemical composition changes, which in turn can alter its peak charging voltage. As a result, the charger no longer has a valid reference point to know when the battery is fully charged. The charger's programmed calibration is now inaccurate. When this happens, the battery can overcharge, which will cause it to overheat and potentially explode.

The low temperature warning is a safety feature. Today's chargers monitor many factors, and if any of them are outside of what is considered normal parameters, the charger is designed to shut down. In this case, it might be over protective, but it is necessary considering that the potential for damage or injury is so great.

Right now, lithium ion batteries are the best choice available for our devices, and they will be with us until a better and safer option appears on the market. Until that happens keep in mind that the phone in your pocket is like a bomb with a hair trigger. These batteries dance a fine line between being fully charged and going into a full meltdown. Even though it can be frustrating, be thankful that these protections exist.

·
Registered
5,971 Posts
...Until that happens keep in mind that the phone in your pocket is like a bomb with a hair trigger. ...
:22yikes:
:roll:
Hyperbole much?

Reactions: Drair

·
Registered
224 Posts
The ambient temperature will be the same, but the phone will be colder. That's why we use fans when devices get hot. It helps dissipate the heat. Riding with the phone in the air stream will indeed lower the internal temperature of the phone since it is a source of heat.

He corrected himself and admitted that wind chill was a poor choice of words. Wind chill is a fictitious (read unmeasurable) estimate that attempts to compensate for the effect of wind on living tissue.

The phone will not be colder than the ambient temp. The wind does not make anything colder than ambient temperature. It only dissipates heat that is keeping it above ambient temperature.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
The phone will not be colder than the ambient temp. The wind does not make anything colder than ambient temperature. It only dissipates heat that is keeping it above ambient temperature.
OMG! :banghead: Let me try again.

The phone's internal temperature will be lower with the airflow across it than it would be without the airflow. I never said it would be colder than ambient.

Sometimes the exhausting detail you have to go through to get a point across around here just isn't worth it.

·
Registered
224 Posts
OMG! :banghead: Let me try again.

The phone's internal temperature will be lower with the airflow across it than it would be without the airflow. I never said it would be colder than ambient.

Sometimes the exhausting detail you have to go through to get a point across around here just isn't worth it.
Yes you did say that: Your words: The ambient temperature will be the same, but the phone will be colder.

·
Registered
8,058 Posts
:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn: Merry Christmas guys :wink2:

·
Registered
2,849 Posts

Phone batteries don't do so well in the cold. Battery dies soupa quick. Ice fishing/hunting/cold weather, I try to keep the phone in a inside jacket pocket.

On the bike, I use a Garmin, doesn't have any problems charging in cold weather. I don't usually mess around mounting the phone on the bike. The novelty wore off, but I'm not a ironbutt guy or anything. I don't find it useful enough to make it worth the effort.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 30 Posts