GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5,844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't see a board for this, but there are a lot of guys on this board that know a lot of things.

I have recently had occasion to try to print ( for my wife) some color negative 35 mm film.

I just do not know how to do that and we have an Epson 500 Scanner/Printer.

It has a holder for the film and when I tried to scan, even at very high resolution, I get what looks like a color by numbers with only about three shades of orange and magenta.

I know there must be some color manipulation to get rid of the false color, but I am also wondering about the coarse nature of the image.

Any ideas on where to look for how do do it?

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
You're trying to print the negative? Or are you actually trying to print a positive?.

Why don't you just let Agfa or equiv do it, at a drugstore or WallyWorld?

David M.

·
Registered
5,844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
David,

My wife is trying to build an album and going through old photos, some of which are 35mm negatives.

It is in part the album that she wants, and in part the learing process of how to do all forms of Photoshop. I can help her on digital photos and normal scans of prints, just do not know how to get the film scans from the film throught the Epson RX-500 to Photoshop and then from negative to positive image.

Thanks for your post.

Tom

·
Registered
7,425 Posts
My scanner has a special function for that, Tom.
Open up your scanner's program and look for the tutorial section; tab through to any reference for film negatives. I've even got a special holder for the cel.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Tom, the 35mm negative has a built in orange color mask. Hold it up to the light and the orange cast show. To print a negative, you have to filter out the orange mask. Home printing of 35mm negatives was a real b!thc in the days before the digital revolution. (up to 90s). Hope this give you an idea of why your attempt at scanning and printing wasn't successful.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts