GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
7,471 Posts
This was explained to me by someone who was very knowledgeable in this subject. After reading his answer I was still confused. o_O

·
Registered
20,678 Posts
They really should have a page that explains exactly how to post pictures with most of the different devices folks use.
they might have a page like that already but I haven’t seen it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
The first two and (so far) only pics I've posted worked perfectly. Maybe it has something to do with the user's operating system. I'm on an inexpensive Samsung phone.

·
Premium Member
1,386 Posts
There's a program in your phone that recognizes if the screen is up, down, or sideways. When you take a photo, that program senses which way the phone is oriented. If you take a picture with the phone in the correct up and down position, so camera at the top, that picture will post in the correct orientation. If you take a picture with the camera turned to your left, that picture should post correct as well. If the camera is at the bottom or turned to the right, the program interprets that the same as holding a regular camera upside down. Although the phone may show the picture correctly in the photo gallery, the program translates the information from the photo and transmits the photo using that information. So, if the program sees the photo upside down, it will transfer it upside down. If it sees it sideways, the same thing happens. Check your phone and insure the auto rotate feature is on as well. Using a regular digital camera will insure this doesn't happen, because we tend to hold those as we normally would. Not sure this makes any sense, but that's the long and short of it.

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
There's a program in your phone that recognizes if the screen is up, down, or sideways. When you take a photo, that program senses which way the phone is oriented. If you take a picture with the phone in the correct up and down position, so camera at the top, that picture will post in the correct orientation. If you take a picture with the camera turned to your left, that picture should post correct as well. If the camera is at the bottom or turned to the right, the program interprets that the same as holding a regular camera upside down. Although the phone may show the picture correctly in the photo gallery, the program translates the information from the photo and transmits the photo using that information. So, if the program sees the photo upside down, it will transfer it upside down. If it sees it sideways, the same thing happens. Check your phone and insure the auto rotate feature is on as well. Using a regular digital camera will insure this doesn't happen, because we tend to hold those as we normally would. Not sure this makes any sense, but that's the long and short of it.
It has been awhile since I've posted any pictures. The last several times I used "tap-a-talk" and the pictures orientated okay. But it seems to me when I used the method you have suggested when taking pictures, particularly those taken with the phone held vertical with the camera at the top, then saved the photos to my Chromebook and tried to post them here I had varied results. Some posted okay, but others would be upside down or sideways.

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
MountainRider,
Your explanation surely makes sense. I've posted many-a-picture on multiple forums and, only recently have I had one or two end up incorrectly displayed and, I think they were on this forum. I went back and checked and, the pictures were normal where I had them stored. But, when transferring them to the this forum, a couple got goofed up. Sooooo, I'm thinking that it might have been the way they were took originally, and with what device??? So, I think you've cleared up some oddities, at least for me anyways. Thanks a heap.
Scott

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hmmm, that does tend to make sense to me. My wife uses her phone as a camera but I much prefer my Nikon. Hers is handy on the trike, mine is better for higher quality. I'll have to make sure any photos from her phone are oriented correctly before dropping them into forums site. Thanks.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Why do so many photos on the various forum site appear sideways or upside down. I don't believe they are being selected and posted that way by the user/sender.
Mountainrider explained it. What I'd really like to know is how to fix it! I use the horizontal format a lot and can correct the thumbnail orientations easily. But is there a way to get them to post the way I want them on here? Sometimes it works as expected, other times it doesn't insofar as I can see. 2020-02-23 15.31.33.jpg

·
Registered
7,471 Posts
I'm still "ole school" i just purchased a roll of 24 exposures of Kodak film, let me try again to post a picture ? :geek:

Ronnie
You mean they still sell Kodak film? When you went into the store to buy that film did the 19 yr old clerk give you that "deer in the headlight stare" and say.....Sir, I have no idea what you're asking for. :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
4,990 Posts
You mean they still sell Kodak film? When you went into the store to buy that film did the 19 yr old clerk give you that "deer in the headlight stare" and say.....Sir, I have no idea what you're asking for.
Now that's a good come back ( u just put a smile on my face ?) NO actually I was being funny here! BUT I honestly have no idea how to up load a picture here.. maybe I will ask a 19 yr old kid to show me...
PS: I love your dog in your picture, when I was a kid, living home, my family had a dog, that look'd like your pet (muffy was her name) OMG that was 69 years ago...WOW!

Ronnie

·
Administrator
340 Posts
Now that's a good come back ( u just put a smile on my face ?) NO actually I was being funny here! BUT I honestly have no idea how to up load a picture here.. maybe I will ask a 19 yr old kid to show me...

Ronnie
Information on how to upload images/pics found here.

·
Registered
7,471 Posts
PS: I love your dog in your picture, when I was a kid, living home, my family had a dog, that look'd like your pet (muffy was her name) OMG that was 69 years ago...WOW!

Ronnie
That picture is my daughter (long time ago) with her rescue dog Little Tomato who she named after either a song or a singing group that was popular at the time. She is still a member of my daughters family.
When I was growing up my dad worked in construction and somebody came to his job site with 4-5 boxer pups and dad took one of the females and we named her Cindy and she was one terrific and loyal dog. She was 14 yrs old when she passed and I was overseas in the Navy. Sure miss her after all these yrs. ?

·
Registered
4,990 Posts

Thank you MM.. This is the info that I was looking for...
You know it's funny, I'm a heating/plumbing contractor, [NOW RETIRED] I can fix, install, repair heating systems, Doing this now for over 28 years, BUT I have (had) NO IDEA how to insert a picture into the computer... I'll give your info a try....Thank u

Ronnie

·
Registered
595 Posts

But the question was...

·
Registered
2,457 Posts

Wal-mart .com sells it. But you have to be rich to still take film photo’s, and just think you have to wait for them to be developed before you can delete the bad ones. Unless you are into darkroom work. Everybody knows goldwing owners are rich, but really $20.00/roll. We are frugal too. We buy a whole digital camera for that same money and put the savings in the tank. Vroom-vroom.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Why do so many photos on the various forum site appear sideways or upside down. I don't believe they are being selected and posted that way by the user/sender.
It's got to do with the vertical height of the original photo relative to it's width.

If a photo is vertically taller than it is wide the site will sometimes flip the photo on it's side.

If you go to the original photo and crop it so as to reduce the vertical height of the photo it will upload and display in the correct orientation.

The photo can be taller than it's width and display correctly. Just seems once the vertical exceeds a certain height relative to the photo width the site will lay the photo on it's side.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Take a photo with a phone? Really? Is that even possible. I thought they-phones-were used only when the wife called inquiring as to my whereabouts. Dang. ;)

·
Registered
69 Posts
$20 a roll?!? WTH....why, in God's name, am I hanging on to my Minolta X700 that I never learned to use properly?? The iPhone 11 Pro takes better pics anyway...wow...just...wow....

1 - 20 of 22 Posts