GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was thinking of getting a set of these, I have started to start doing more LD ridding. I would like bright lights but I don't want to messup the look of the bike

http://www.directlineparts.com/product.asp?pid=6075&str=4
they are pricy I have a set of bullet LED lights that I have installed I like the look but they are not bright enough for me

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
You will be happy if you get them. I have mine mounted under the head lights.
The way mine are aimed I can use them on low beam and not get flashed by on coming traffic.

Good luck
greg

·
Registered
5,541 Posts
The PIAA 1100xx put out a good amount of cone shaped light. They do not penetrate much further than the Wings High Beams but what they do very well is light up everything around you, into the ditches on both sides of the road, the road in front of you and you will notice if you happen to go into a tunnel, they will light up the entire tunnel including everything overhead! Lights up roads signs really well.

Excellent lights for "Varmint Spotting" nuisances like Deer...

These are mine...

If you want lights that will light things down the road a mile or two PIAA 910 Series lights are the way to go. Many LD riders run both the 1100xx and 910's. The 910's are nearly 5" round and work best mounted under the GL1800 Turn Signals. (Specialty brackets for these lights and the GL1800 are available). They can be hard to find at times...

9163 ION

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
Bought a pr of 55w driving lights for $72 from an online dealer, there an all alum. body black powder coated w/ glass lenses, came as a kit, from a place called Street Side Auto.. about 2 1/2" in dia..
mounted em under the headlights, they work great, a fraction of the cost..:thumbup:

·
Registered
4,079 Posts
I've had mine for a number of years and are mounted under the fairing. The only problem, not really a problem, I have had is that on occasion I have to retighten the screws.

·
Registered
862 Posts
I was thinking of getting a set of these, I have started to start doing more LD ridding. I would like bright lights but I don't want to messup the look of the bike

http://www.directlineparts.com/product.asp?pid=6075&str=4
they are pricy I have a set of bullet LED lights that I have installed I like the look but they are not bright enough for me
Unless you've got stay under a certain dollar amount I would stay away from halogen technology. HIDs have been out long enough to be well proven, cheap, and they last much longer than a halogen will.

PIAA were the big dog but the sun is setting on halogens.

I recently installed FV1000 from FutureVision and they put out a huge amount of focused light. Far more that an HID conversion can, in fact, and that's one of the reasons I removed my HID conversion kit.

PIAAs may be a bit cheaper than the FV but they give out only about 1/3 the light and my understanding is that PIAAs burn out pretty quickly. After replacing a few sets of bulbs the FV will be cheaper.

My set up is the bi-xenon with 50 watt ballasts so I've got high and low beam and I've got about 9200 lumens vs 2400 lumens for a 50 watt halogen.

I'm not knocking halogen. My lows and highs are 80 watt halogens (1920 lumens per bulb) but even though they are 60% brighter than a 50 watt halogen, they look dim compared to a HID aux light like the FVs.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts