GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anyone used the piaa driving lights ? it looks like they mount to the forks,they are expensive at 329.99 but it seems they wouldnt get hit by debris and are easier to install then the lower cowl light sets,,thanks for any info...

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
PIAA's

A lot of money and worth the money.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
oldbiker39 said:
anyone used the piaa driving lights ? it looks like they mount to the forks,they are expensive at 329.99 but it seems they wouldnt get hit by debris and are easier to install then the lower cowl light sets,,thanks for any info...
I have them on both my GL1800 and FJR1300AE. If I could only get ONE accessory, the PIIA's would be right up there.

If you ride at night, they are definitely worth the money as they compliment the bike's high beams very well (they light up the side of the roads while the high beams brighten up the front).

Best Regards,

Shane

·
Registered
5,541 Posts
What the other guys said! Excellent driving lights, especially on lonely dark country road.

They mount to the bottom of the fairing (with brackets that are provided in the kit), not to the forks.

·
Registered
9,389 Posts
They can be bought for about 280, I think. Check HDL first then Wingstuff.com.

Yes, great for nite but, if I had them, I'd run them during the day also for more visibility.

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
ShaneStump said:
wingman57 said:
WAY TOO EXPENSIVE! Unless you have money to burn.

$329? Get real! Highway robbery!!!
You either

1) Don't ride a lot at night

2) Or don't ride where there are a LOT of DEER!

I have found the PIAAs to be a necessity for night riding.

Best regards,

Shane

The extra lights may be a necessity but they don't have to be PIAA. You can get Hella and other brands for a lot less money, same lighting power.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
azjerry said:
ShaneStump said:
wingman57 said:
WAY TOO EXPENSIVE! Unless you have money to burn.

$329? Get real! Highway robbery!!!
You either

1) Don't ride a lot at night

2) Or don't ride where there are a LOT of DEER!

I have found the PIAAs to be a necessity for night riding.

Best regards,

Shane

The extra lights may be a necessity but they don't have to be PIAA. You can get Hella and other brands for a lot less money, same lighting power.
I never said they had to be PIAA (read the question in the post). If you have experience with a better / cheaper alternative, post a link to it.

Best Regards,

Shane

·
Registered
20,024 Posts
The extra lights may be a necessity but they don't have to be PIAA. You can get Hella and other brands for a lot less money, same lighting power
That is exactly what most people who have not tried different levels of quality usually think. 55 watts is 55 watts, right? Heck, you can get 55 watt lights from Wal Mart for $29

I have used many sets of Hellas on my cars over the years, and they are good lights, but the PIAAs are in a different league. The design of the optics in controlling stray light and focusing it correctly where it is needed is what makes a difference in lighting.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Never seen PIAA but did see Motolights down at the Iron Horse Inn, NC.

Are they as good, better, same, as the motolights?

Really like to be seen! Like to see deer too.

Trying to convince my family (Christmas / Birthday around the corner) as the lights would be on my list!

Opinions please...

·
Registered
234 Posts
PIAA Best always costs 10% More...Buy em'

Had them on my 1500...beautiful bright white lights just where you need to see...never failed me...good lighted push button.

Yea they cost more..so does a Cadillac...that's why we drive a Goldwing and spend lots of money to make it suit us.....safety, reliability, comfort....you can't go wrong with the PIAA 1100X.

·
Registered
4,009 Posts
If you can't see with your GL1800 high beam, you need better glasses.

It's your money...spend it on what you want.

I would NEVER spend $329 on a pair of lights. As for riding at night with deer populations like you guys have in the northern states, I would only ride motorcycles during the day light hours. A lot safer that way. I have seen too many deer dead along your highways to ever make me think I needed to ride at night. That is just asking for trouble.

I have used 55 watt driving lights on my GL1500, when I had it and I sure didn't spend what the PIAA's cost and I could make night into day time, with the switch of the brights.

·
Registered
552 Posts
skypoke said:
IS there a retrofit kit for HID lights for the wing?
Here ya go...

http://xenonpros.com/

You want to get the McCullough 5000k kit. I have both high/low beams on my blackbird. It's like riding in daylight when it's pitch black outside. You're good for about a mile and you never have to worry about out riding your light.

The HID's make the wing lights look like candles.

·
Registered
20,024 Posts
I would NEVER spend $329 on a pair of lights. As for riding at night with deer populations like you guys have in the northern states, I would only ride motorcycles during the day light hours. A lot safer that way. I have seen too many deer dead along your highways to ever make me think I needed to ride at night. That is just asking for trouble
I leave for work at 5:30 every morning. Does that mean I shouldn't ride my bike to work every day?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts