GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a set of these , got most of it figured out except for the switch control positive wire. Where does this hook up to?? The install states that it must be one that is only powered when the high beams are on. Soooo I cant hook it up the low side? And where do I find the wire for this? :shrug::shrug::shrug: HELP

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
Got a set of these , got most of it figured out except for the switch control positive wire. Where does this hook up to?? The install states that it must be one that is only powered when the high beams are on. Soooo I cant hook it up the low side? And where do I find the wire for this? :shrug::shrug::shrug: HELP
Give the file in the link below time to load. See the wiring diagram. I hooked the light gauge white switch controller wire to the + connector on the back of my right high beam connector so the PIAA lights only work with the high beams. You only need to remove the right storage pocket to do this. Do not attempt if you are not good at soldering. It helps to be limber like a reptile :joke:.
The wire should be supported with tape to isolate it from vibration.
You may also hook it to the high beam + wire in the dimmer switch or back at the relay box + input.
If you don't care and want it to function with either high or low beams, hook the white wire from the switch to any + switched wire. The white switching power draw is minimal.
I have some circuits that allow only operation on low beams but can't draw circuits that well. (Our WALDO is a great artist and a great circuit designer :nojoke:).
I did not like the PIAA switch supplied so I made my own circuit switch.
I have also found a source for the PIAA relays that are tough to find :thumbup:.

http://www.piaa.com/Lamps/install/1100x.pdf

·
Registered
4,091 Posts
I assume you are using the supplied wiring and switch. If true then just connect that white + wire to the + AUX terminal at the fuse box. That wire only supplies power to the lamps relay coil(s). So the draw is tiny.

·
Florida Moderator
4,617 Posts
Hook the thin wire to the auxillary positive terminal (accessory terminal) on the left side of the fuse block. This way the lights can only be powered with the ignition on, plus you can operate the lights independently of the high beams.

·
Registered
2,999 Posts

"The install states that it must be one that is only powered when the high beams are on."
That is only a law in some states and will sometimes apply to
fog lights. Some cops will not bother you but some who are in a bad mood will issue a ticket. You just have to look up your states vehicle lighting laws and decide for yourself as the vehicle operator if you want to take a chance on getting a ticket per their laws :bow:.
I had a fused 12 gage wire already run up to the front of the bike so I installed the PIAA relay next to my engine coil and shortened most of the wires. I chose the driving lights workable on high beam only mode only because it turns the driving lights out when I dim my high beams lights for oncoming traffic :shrug:.

·
Registered
334 Posts
I wired it to the power outlet in the left pocket for the cig. lighter. that way the light go off with the key and you can operate with low or high beams, any way you want to run.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts