·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
:thumbup:Thanks I did check them out and they are 58 dollars cheaper

·
Registered
100 Posts
I have the 1100X and the 530 PIAA lights. Most excellent. PIAA is working on optional LED bulb replacements for the 1100X to reduce the power draw.

·
15 year Member
6,868 Posts
I have the 1100X and the 530 PIAA lights. Most excellent. PIAA is working on optional LED bulb replacements for the 1100X to reduce the power draw.

Now I know why PIAA makes an all metal Housing for the 1100x's... Those thins get RED HOT!!

if'n there was any plastic on them it would surely melt!!

Matt(BCNV):doorag:

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So Matt are you saying that I should look in a different direction for lights instead of PIAA's :?:

·
15 year Member
6,868 Posts
So Matt are you saying that I should look in a different direction for lights instead of PIAA's :?:
Nope!!

I would/ will buy them again and again!!

Matt(BCNV):thumbup:

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Roky,
I have the 1100x lights, and I like them a lot. They are really bright, to a point where my first reaction when I come off them is "Who turned out the lights?" A set of HID low beams has solved that pretty well.
There are other lights that work really well, also, but these are the only ones that fit up under that cowl and look good. There are a few others, but they look kind of dorky compared to the PIAAs.
The also come with all the wiring harness you need, although the wiring harness could be cleaned up some.
If you want some lights under the mirrors, a set of Clearwater Kristas would just light up your life.. They are amazing.
http://clearwaterlights.com/infopg_krista.html
A very white light, and low power draw, 36 watts per side. Far better, and better looking than the PIAA 910s. These are all machined from billet aluminum, uses kevlar shielded wire, all anodized or powder coated. Exceptionally high quality. Not cheap, but really good.. You can also hook these up to your horn, so they go full bright when you blow the horn.. an added attention getter.
You can get the PIAA mounts that go under the mirrors.
Get both and any deer you encounter will be well done, if not vaporized. (phasers on on fry, Mr Sulu..) ;)

=Dave=

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Know a couple of riders that have the PIAA 1100's mounted in the front grill hole. They do look sharp and put out a very impressive amount of light.

But the bulbs are proprietary, not cheap (~$30 each) and, in their words, not particularly long lasting. Especially if you cycle them a lot.

Those LED's look like a real nice set-up. I am not real crazy about the "under the mirror" mounting. One never has to worry about the bulbs going out. A little pricey for me, tho.

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
Roky,
If you want some lights under the mirrors, a set of Clearwater Kristas would just light up your life.. They are amazing.
http://clearwaterlights.com/infopg_krista.html
A very white light, and low power draw, 36 watts per side. Far better, and better looking than the PIAA 910s.=Dave=
Actually for that kind of money, I would choose these Philips HID driving lights instead, the lens and focus is far superior to the LED Krista's. No need to light up the tree tops looking for marsupials while riding....

http://www.digitalprovisions.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=FM+PHID&Category_Code=LIGHTING&Store_Code=FARKLEMASTER

·
Registered
674 Posts
the eastern region sales manager for Piaa had a set of prototype fog lams (with a real fog beam shape) at a BMW open house I attended.

I am waiting for those......

·
Registered
100 Posts
The 530s is what you probably saw. Excellent pattern.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Actually for that kind of money, I would choose these Philips HID driving lights instead, the lens and focus is far superior to the LED Krista's. No need to light up the tree tops looking for marsupials while riding....

http://www.digitalprovisions.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=FM+PHID&Category_Code=LIGHTING&Store_Code=FARKLEMASTER
You must have lost it.!!!!!! How would pay 599 for one light. I can buy a lot of pddas for that. Not a good choice to me. just my op.:22yikes:

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
You must have lost it.!!!!!! How would pay 599 for one light. I can buy a lot of pddas for that. Not a good choice to me. just my op.:22yikes:
That is for two lights.

Still way too pricey for my blood.

·
Registered
719 Posts
I've been running the 910's for about 8 years now (kinda lost track) but anyway, they use a standard h3 bulb and I use 55w in each light and thats plenty but have the option to go to 110w bulbs if I ever decide to ride in the desert. Not happening so. But, the PIAA 910's are great lights.

I did have the 1100's on my BMW and the 910's. I found I liked the 910's better while riding in the night and I ran the 1100's during the day to stand out in traffic.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Hope I haven't waited too long to get in on this thread... but I installed the 1100X's not too long ago and they weren't quite as bright as was hoping for and I am still wanting more. I had somebody recommend the Philips H7 12v 80w Rally bulbs in both the high and low beam positions. I am concerned about the wiring handling the extra current draw but he insists that he has had no problems. Has anyone had any experiences with 80W bulbs?

·
Registered
11,183 Posts
Hope I haven't waited too long to get in on this thread... but I installed the 1100X's not too long ago and they weren't quite as bright as was hoping for and I am still wanting more. I had somebody recommend the Philips H7 12v 80w Rally bulbs in both the high and low beam positions. I am concerned about the wiring handling the extra current draw but he insists that he has had no problems. Has anyone had any experiences with 80W bulbs?
If you are talking about putting the 80W bulbs in the goldwing's reflectors/headlights please do some good checking first. There have been some reports of damage to the OEM headlight reflectors, caused from using hotter bulbs.

·
Registered
165 Posts

Having installed and used a few different auxiliary lighting choices on various motorcycles, I have an opinion to these posts.

The ultimate auxiliary lighting for 'turning on the sun' is by far the 4" Baja Designs Soltek Fuego HID lamps. I mounted a set of these on the front of my Yamaha FJR1300. On the FJRForum.com threads, these lights are nicknamed "Flame Throwers". Pros: Extremely bright; focused beam; self-contained ballasts in the light housings so they're easy to wire up; 35w draw each after momentary warm-up. Cons: Very large and heavy for 4" lights; high cost; I couldn't find pre-fab mounts for putting them under the GL1800 mirrors; All HIDs have a warm up period and are not instant-on unless already warm. Also, I've read that the constant flicking on & off - on & off due to on-coming vehicles is hard on all HID ballasts & ignitors (although I never had an issue with my Fuegos).

I installed a set of the Phillips PHIDs on a friends Honda VFR. Pros: These are not quite as bright as the Fuegos, but are still extremely bright for blasting light down the road; focused beam; small and light weight. Cons: They seem to have a longer warm-up time than the Fuegos before coming to complete brightness; unlike the Fuegos, these lights have separate ballasts, so a remote location must be found to mount/hide the ballasts; high cost; kind of cheap plastic appearance how the ignitors snap to the bulb housings.

I currently have a set of Clearwater Kristas LEDs mounted on my '08 GL1800 Airbag. I initially wanted to mount the Baja Designs Soltek Fuegos, but they are just too big & heavy for the mounts I was able to buy. I'm using the PIAA under-mirror mounts. Pros: These lights are very bright for shining down the road, but are not as brilliant as the Fuegos or PHIDs; since there are no ballasts to warm up, the light is instant-on at full brightness; the Krista kit comes with a dimmer knob/circuit so the intensity can be turned down if desired for riding in traffic; the kit comes with its own relay harness; excellent customer service as I emailed and telephoned them with multiple stupid questions and they always helped without delay & without attitude. Cons: Since they are LEDs, the beam is not focused well. The light is bright and it does blast down the road quite well, but it does also send wasted light up-down-and to the sides as all LEDs do; high cost; the relay box and exiting cables are sealed to the relay box, so lengthening is expected to be done by connecting additional cable sections; if you mount the relay box behind the dash in the middle of the bike, the supplied light cables are just barely long enough to reach each light. I mounted my box underneath the left glove box so when ordering I asked for a 24" extension for the right-side light and Clearwater gave it to me for free(this is a Pro not a Con); they don't sell lens covers for the Kristas so I made my own out of plastic tops from powdered drink mix containers found at the market.

Sounds hokey, but the lens covers came out well and look great. I painted them black. I keep my Kristas covered at all times until needed for remote-road riding at night. I mounted the dimmer switch inside the left glove box in the upper-right corner on that little shelf. I didn't need the dimmer mounted on the dash or handlebars as I have the dimmer set to full brightness at all times. For my situation, I should have just eliminated the dimmer circuit all together.

I don't know about the performance of PIAA or any other high-wattage auxiliary lights. My Kristas only draw 36w each and I'm happy with their performance. I'd buy them again.

In closing, my comments are referring only to auxiliary lighting to be used for blasting light down the road TO SEE. I don't want to compare this to lower cowl mounted lights or other less-bright auxiliary lights that are meant for traffic TO SEE YOU. Those are two different subjects with two different purposes. It all depends on what we want our lights to accomplish. Also, I know nothing about changing to brighter or HID bulbs in the stock headlight housings.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts