GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,841 Posts
Most people here have Kuryakins or Mik-o-pegs. They both sell complete kits for the GL1800. With the Kury's, you can get the clamps and arms and then choose from a variety of peg styles. There are also two arm lengths, short for a longer leg stretch and long for a shorter stretch. DLP has em, or you can shop at the mfg sites and then order at DLP. I have the setup you are looking at and like them OK. The clamps and arms have lasted 5 years and still look good, the pegs last about 2 years. I store my bike in a garage year round and polish the chrome a couple of times a year.

·
Registered
3,583 Posts
I'd like to question the logic of some riders that mount their highway pegs on the horizontal bar section of the engine guards. I guess they are never expected to ride on tight curves of mountain roads and if they do, they'd ride at such a sedate pace, not to scrape the mounts, to actually make it a boring ride.

The lean angle of the Goldwing is already so compromised by its massive width, why add something to that width by having the highway peg's mount scrape before anything else? Or worse, unload the weight off of the front tire? :eek:4:

I mounted my highway pegs to the vertical bar section of the engine guards clearly away from coming in contact with the road surface in a very tight turn.

It's your bike, and your safety, but perhaps you might want to reconsider your choice of mounting locations.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'd like to question the logic of some riders that mount their highway pegs on the horizontal bar section of the engine guards. I guess they are never expected to ride on tight curves of mountain roads and if they do, they'd ride at such a sedate pace, not to scrape the mounts, to actually make it a boring ride.

The lean angle of the Goldwing is already so compromised by its massive width, why add something to that width by having the highway peg's mount scrape before anything else? Or worse, unload the weight off of the front tire? :eek:4:

I mounted my highway pegs to the vertical bar section of the engine guards clearly away from coming in contact with the road surface in a very tight turn.

It's your bike, and your safety, but perhaps you might want to reconsider your choice of mounting locations.
Pics??? Remember I am new to this ... :shrug:

·
Banned
7,603 Posts
If you need you pegs to be lower than in line w/the horizontal front tip over bar, then you need Mic-O-Pegs and remove your feet from them when doing the "twisties".
If even with or above then the horizontal tip over bar is OK for a mounting point.
Since most of us don't pretend to be F1 Bike racers, that bar is OK.

·
Registered
684 Posts
Back in the day, there was a lot of postings about Kury mounting on pegs, and them scraping.
Someone told of a guy who was riding with his friend who was on a BMW.
Supposedly they switched bikes, and his friend dug the peg mounts in to the pavement on the wing, resulting in a crash that took the life of his friend.
He said that this guy was an aggressive rider, and not anticipating anything scraping on the other guys wing.

FYI

Who knows if this was true or not......

Mike

1 - 13 of 13 Posts