GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Maybe because I have low back issues, it is not that great, it's ok for now. I will re do it soon enough. In regards to a backrest, I went no wrong with Utopia. So far, excellent. Happy and comfortable riding.....!!!!!
Sent a note yesterday to get on the Utopia manufacturing list. Also talking with CalSci on a new wind shield.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
I have a black DCT also that I picked up 8/31. The seat drawback to me is that it is HOT!! So far comfort is not bad. As soon as my sheepskin get's in it will be alot better. This seat is a firmer seat than previous generations. I will have to see how it performs over time. The sheepskin helped out on my 2015 a good bit.

Highway pegs also helps. I put the Goldstrike boards on her. I did a demo ride on a Red/Black one for a couple of hours before buying the black one. As soon as I got back I told the salesman "you need 4 things...sheepskin for the seat, a cup holder, backrest and highway pegs". Highway pegs are done, sheepskin on order, cup holder should be in today and the backrest is on backorder but should be available the end of the month. Wife's first ride is tomorrow.
How did the wife's ride go? I haven't had a back-seater on yet.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
I noticed in your pix that you have the parking brake on ! it also appears to be on flat surface. I have found out the hard way unless it is needed not to use it. Terrible design IMHO and just as the kickstand has an interlock it is needed here also.

As for the seat I have no problem but I have found the pants and underpants you are wearing are my cause for PIA.
Tell me more about the parking brake. Why should I use it sparingly? With my MT bikes, I always parked them in gear.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Sent a note yesterday to get on the Utopia manufacturing list. Also talking with CalSci on a new wind shield.
CalSci sold me two screens for my 2013 RT that didn't fit. We had a few email exchanges about it and he actually blamed BMW saying "only an aerodynamic idiot" would design a curved screen (referring to the shape of the mount bars I think). I finally got my money back but had to eat shipping (almost $50!). I would seriously avoid doing any business with him.

·
Registered
2020 DCT Tour, red/black
54 Posts
You can find Utopia via other vendors. In regards to the windshield, I can not complain about the F4 Custom. I think I have the 20". I am 6'4" and it does the job well.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Tell me more about the parking brake. Why should I use it sparingly? With my MT bikes, I always parked them in gear.
Doug is probably alluding to the fact that it is pretty easy to forget to release the parking brake, and ride off. From what ive read, The pads are not thick and will wear out quickly if this is done a lot. Ive done it a few times and realize it on the first deceleration.
Love the idea of an electrical interlock like the sidestand !

·
Registered
2018 GL1800 MT, 1998 Honda Shadow, 2016 Yamaha FJR1300
153 Posts
I wish my White/Black 2018 model would have had the black pipe covers like the 2021... oh well

·
Premium Member
4,591 Posts
Congratulations! Great-looking ride.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Doug is probably alluding to the fact that it is pretty easy to forget to release the parking brake, and ride off. From what ive read, The pads are not thick and will wear out quickly if this is done a lot. Ive done it a few times and realize it on the first deceleration.
Love the idea of an electrical interlock like the sidestand !
I put this on mine.

·
Registered
Scarlett (2015 GL1800 HPNMF), KITT (2021 GL1800D)
152 Posts
How did the wife's ride go? I haven't had a back-seater on yet.
She loved it!! She doesn't have all her creature comforts on it yet...Armrests, Omni Boards, Cupholder, so she is holding judgement on the seat itself. He butt went a little numb after about an hour but she couldn't really reposition herself or her feet without the armrests and boards like she can on our 2015. The seat wasn't so bad for me...no real issues as I have highway boards for my feet. Just need a backrest. We used our sheepskin for the 2015 and that helped a lot with comfort. The seat gets hot when riding, my butt sweats after 20 mins with no sheepskin.

She did call my brother after we got back (who owns a 2010) and told him that he really didn't want to ride mine and DAMN sure didn't want to put his wife on the back....or he would be buying one!! The DCT is so smooth that she rarely knew we were shifting gears. Handling was damn near perfect. I think it's a keeper.

Reactions: ElegantCoder

·
Registered
72 Posts
That is great! How was the install?
I installed the Electrical Connection harness on my bike (you can purchase directly from EC).

The work by the parking brake handle was not a challenge for an average wrench. The harder part is getting your hand up to where the green plug at the rear of the engine is located, so you can plug the EC harness in line. A pita, but frankly not a major pita. Basically, laying on your side/back while you snake you hand up from the bottom into the open area between the back of the engine and the swingarm, and forward toward the engine. Hardest part was unlatching the green connector, but a bit of patience will get it done.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts