GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello e1 new guy here - I just picked up my 2014 wing this afternoon - put 100 miles on it and changed the oil and filter. Also installed a ride off stand which appears to work great except it bangs against the cross over tube??

Cannot wait to start installing new goodies. The stand reduces the effort by 90% compared to the stock centerstand. Later

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
2014 Wing

WELCOME to the forum, and also WELCOME to the wonderful world of the GoldWing. Good luck. Be safe and enjoy the ride. Larry

·
Registered
321 Posts
WELCOME to the NC forum. Enjoy your ride I will get a 2014 Pearl Blue, level 2 when they can find me one. I have a Champion kit ordered, should be here 31 Jan. I have a 2012 goldwing CSC Viper trike for sale. If you see anyone looking a trike, this maybe the one for them. JoeA

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
January? 100 miles? You are a brave man. I'm waiting for a day in the 50s! At least the 40s. I don't think you said, but is this your first Wing? Any plans for the spring or summer? I'm hoping to take a class at MototMark1 near Raleigh when it warms up a bit. Might be nice to have another Wing rider there.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi

Do you have an owner's manual? First oil/filter change at 4k; then every 8k after that. :shrug:
Yes I have a manual - this is my 33rd motorcycle - and I have broken them all in the same way - who wants to carry small pieces of metal flying around in the engine for 4000 miles. You must have never cut a oil filter apart on a new engine after the first one hundred miles. I appreciate the fact that you are concerned if I have a manual tks

·
Registered
172 Posts
Welcome. Have fun NC has great roads. Wife and I bought our 2013 not long ago. Nov 01 I'm ready to go riding every day.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Yes I have a manual - this is my 33rd motorcycle - and I have broken them all in the same way - who wants to carry small pieces of metal flying around in the engine for 4000 miles. You must have never cut a oil filter apart on a new engine after the first one hundred miles. I appreciate the fact that you are concerned if I have a manual tks
I agree, the first oil change on my new Corvette was at 800 miles. It's cheap insurance. And the Manual says 7,500.

·
Registered
6,535 Posts
not to nit pick, but wing's first service due at 600 miles and I HEAVILY suggest keeping to Honda specs while under warranty. Get the extended warranty just before time runs out on the original one.

If you keep to Honda spec and have a warranty issue, they can't say you did not maintain your ride.

·
Registered
460 Posts
who wants to carry small pieces of metal flying around in the engine for 4000 miles.
Congrats on new ride:thumbup:

I think manufacturing standards and tolerances improved quite a bit in last few years......:shock:

·
Registered
6,535 Posts
Congrats on new ride:thumbup:

I think manufacturing standards and tolerances improved quite a bit in last few years......:shock:
It's still an internal combustion engine and nothing will change that.

What's $30 in supplies or $65 service at a dealer in the grand scheme of things?

·
Registered
999 Posts
not to nit pick, but wing's first service due at 600 miles and I HEAVILY suggest keeping to Honda specs while under warranty.
I agree with ALMOST evrything you said. The only thing you are not dead on about is the first oil change that, per my Honda manual anyhoo, is due at 4K. May need to tune up the ol nits and/or picks.

·
Registered
6,535 Posts
Hey Jim... I should have been clearer in my early post that it is not in the manuals but speak with any good tech and almost all will tell you to do service at 600.

Use the Honda view that forks do not need service...ever, being an example of manual and real life conflicting each other. The break in at 600 isn't any different.

·
Registered
3,827 Posts
No offense, but doing a 600 mile service on a GL1800 is TOTALLY different; in fact, it's totally utterly ridiculous. "Any good tech" must mean any dealer wanting to separate you from your money, totally unnecessarily! A 100 mile service? INSANE

Hey Jim... I should have been clearer in my early post that it is not in the manuals but speak with any good tech and almost all will tell you to do service at 600.

Use the Honda view that forks do not need service...ever, being an example of manual and real life conflicting each other. The break in at 600 isn't any different.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Welcome to the forum and GW ownership!

Hello e1 new guy here - I just picked up my 2014 wing this afternoon - put 100 miles on it and changed the oil and filter. Also installed a ride off stand which appears to work great except it bangs against the cross over tube??

Cannot wait to start installing new goodies. The stand reduces the effort by 90% compared to the stock centerstand. Later
Welcome from another NC winger.:yes1: I've only owned my 2002 for a couple of months and I sit staring out the window on the bad days waiting for the next good riding day!:lol::lol: Post some pictures of your ride when you can. Also of the ride off stand. Haven't seen one yet. If you get over near Albemarle and need a hint on good roads or site seeing spots, let me know. Gary

·
Registered
5,061 Posts
WELCOME to the NC forum. Enjoy your ride I will get a 2014 Pearl Blue, level 2 when they can find me one. I have a Champion kit ordered, should be here 31 Jan. I have a 2012 goldwing CSC Viper trike for sale. If you see anyone looking a trike, this maybe the one for them. JoeA
Lets see some pictures of your 2012 trike please.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Welcome, enjoy your new ride and since it's your ride, change the oil when you please.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts