GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I dropped my bike off with Motovation cycles on Thursday afternoon. I'm picking it up this afternoon (Saturday) with the full Traxxion dynamics suspension upgrade done (as well as adding a Rivco Hitch for my future Tailwind trailer).

I plan on taking the long way home (a couple of hundred miles) and will give a report when I get home tonight.

·
Firm Member
3,159 Posts
Good for you Tom.
Be safe and let us know how you like the mods. Colder weather is heading your way.

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ronbien said:
Good for you Tom.
Be safe and let us know how you like the mods. Colder weather is heading your way.
Right now the skies are clear and the temperatures are creeping towards the high 60's. Almost a perfect day for riding. The extended report doesn't quite look as nice, so I'm taking advantage of the weather today.

·
Registered
425 Posts
You won't be disappointed. I picked up my wife's ST1300 from Traxxion in Woodstock, GA on Wednesday. I had them lower the bike for my S.O. They installed a Penske rear shock and spring as well as sinking the forks in the triple tree. They did an excellent, clean job. Very friendly and professional. I will definitely be having them work on my FJR in 2007. Full works; AK-20 cartridges and Penske shock.

·
Registered
691 Posts
tjshelton I got the full traxxion last Friday and love it. I think the improvement in the ride is worth the price and the better handling is just a plus. The work is first rate, they let me watch them build my forks and do the install, NO SHORT CUTS.
They were working on MotorSWATCop's bike while I was there, I like that bike. I am sure your wife will love what they have done.

Charlie

·
Legend in His Own Mind
4,671 Posts
tjshelton said:
I dropped my bike off with Motovation cycles on Thursday afternoon. I'm picking it up this afternoon (Saturday) with the full Traxxion dynamics suspension upgrade done (as well as adding a Rivco Hitch for my future Tailwind trailer).

I plan on taking the long way home (a couple of hundred miles) and will give a report when I get home tonight.
Hey Tom,
I asked Toyo but he never replied so would you pm me about some specifics. 1. Did you upgrade both front and rear? 2. Did you have to take the bike to Traxxion in Georgia to get it done?? 3. Not trying to be nosy but what was your out the door cost??? Txs, Terry

·
Firm Member
3,159 Posts
tvbveb said:
Hey Tom,
I asked Toyo but he never replied so would you pm me about some specifics. 1. Did you upgrade both front and rear? 2. Did you have to take the bike to Traxxion in Georgia to get it done?? 3. Not trying to be nosy but what was your out the door cost??? Txs, Terry
tvbveb,
I'll try to help while we wait for the others. I have heard that Traxxion does have dealers around that can do their installs. Here is their site:
http://www.traxxion.com/
although it does not mention dealers. There is a page on cost for components for the Goldwing. I have also heard that front, rear, steering head bearings and fork brace will run about $2,500. As always I could be wrong.
Contact them and get all of your questions answered.

·
Registered
691 Posts
tvbveb, sorry the pm got lost ????
I got the full traxxon last Friday at their place, about 4.5 hours install time. Out the door with taxes $2500. That is with fork brace and all balls, money well spent.

Charlie

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Here's what I had done:

Front Forks: TRAXAK20AXXIONKIT

Rear Shock: TRAXGL18RSHKS
Traxxion Dynamics has developed a complete rebuild and modification package for the rear shock on the GL1800 Gold Wing that works as a perfect match to the AK-20 Axxion Cartridge Kit for the front end.

We wanted to provide GL riders a setup that used the stock shock, so that owners would still be able to use their remote preload adjusters.

To find a setup that would complement the exceptional performance of the Axxion Cartridge Kit, we spent countless hours on our shock dyno testing different valving set-ups and piston combinations. After further dynamic testing on the street and highway, we arrived at a combination that we feel will provide exceptional feel, traction, and bump absorption. Our special spring and spacer combination utilizes the stock remote preload adjuster, and provides an extremely effective range of feel and load carrying options.

Our shock upgrade includes complete disassembly, cleaning, and inspection of the stock unit. If necessary, we replace the seal. To improve performance, we modify the stock shock piston, install our custom valving spec, and then fit a new spring and spacer combination matched for the rider’s weight and intended use (passenger, luggage, trailer).
Total, including installation, was $2097

They also added the Kuryakyn Fork Brace:

and All Balls Bearings:

When they tore down my front forks they discovered my seals were blown, so I had to get a new set of them, along with some other stuff.

Total extra cost was $978.48, with labor. The grand total was: $3,075.48

I had the work done at Motovation Cycles in Charlette Hall, MD., which is about 20 miles from my home. I wanted to check everything out, so I took the long way home, and put about 100 miles on the bike. I rode on concrete super-slabs, asphalt (not a rectal disease) roads, through a construction area with a rough finish, some nice curvy side roads, and around residential streets.

The ride was like having a completely new bike. The effort required to turn was much less than before and I found myself having to re-learn how to corner the bike. Its like the difference between standard and power steering. You can still feel the road, though before it was like walking with wet sponges glued to my feet and now its like wearing the latest and best available running shoes.

I rode over potholes, speed bumps, and railroad crossings. Although there was a shock in hitting them, it immediately was dampened and the shock was noticeably less than without the suspension upgrade.

I used to ride with a 12-15 preload and was comfortable with it set at 3. The wing sits a bit higher than it did before, and that took a little getting used to, especially when I stopped and put my foot down. I did notice the lack of anti-dive, but it was only minimal, only noticed on quick stops, and was greatly reduced by adding a little bit more rear brake.

All in all, this is one of the best things I've ever done.

·
Legend in His Own Mind
4,671 Posts
That all sounds doable, Thanks to all of you for the info, it's exactly the kind of input I needed. My bike is still pretty new so it hasn't developed any bad road manners. But I am still always interested in enhancing the performance or handling in any way I can. Txs again everyone. Terry 8)

·
Registered
115 Posts
I had mine done two weeks ago. Motorswat, I saw your SO'd bike when I was there. Nice ride. Max said they were going to lower it.

I got the full treatment including the Kuryakyn brace. What a difference it made. I rode up Monteagle like I normally do (fast) and didn't feel like I was on the edge. What a great ride. My rear shock is now set at 0 or maybe 2.

I am very glad I had it done and Maxx and his crew are great people.

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
tvbveb said:
That all sounds doable, Thanks to all of you for the info, it's exactly the kind of input I needed. My bike is still pretty new so it hasn't developed any bad road manners. But I am still always interested in enhancing the performance or handling in any way I can. Txs again everyone. Terry 8)
With all due respect it's already got "bad road manners"! The front suspension is not adaquate. It will not hold up the weight of the bike, giving you virtualy no suspension travel, especially in turns when centrifugal forces take it to the limits. I changed mine at about 1500 miles two months after I bought it brand new.

·
Legend in His Own Mind
4,671 Posts
steve s said:
tvbveb said:
With all due respect it's already got "bad road manners"! The front suspension is not adaquate. It will not hold up the weight of the bike, giving you virtualy no suspension travel, especially in turns when centrifugal forces take it to the limits. I changed mine at about 1500 miles two months after I bought it brand new.
Alrighty then,
No argument here. You're opinion has been duely noted and thanks for sharing. T.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Traxxionized!

Tom,

I am glad you like it ,but I am not surprised. It is the most noticeable improvement you can do. Dollar for dollar nothing else comes close. We have tried them all (well maybe not putting air in the forks-but that would be like putting on wooden wheels compared to Traxxion). All you need now is that trailer. Thanks again.

·
Registered
3,678 Posts
I have to agree...had the full suspension done by Motovation also. In fact I was the first install by Motovation...I love when folks get it done...they always say it a completely different bike...Its well worth the cost...:yes:

hummm mine was around $2400.00 though...

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Re: Traxxionized!

motovation said:
All you need now is that trailer. Thanks again.
Dan... Tom keeps promising that it'll be here soon. I guess we have a different definition of "soon." But from other owners I've chatted with, it should be worth the wait. Besides, now that the cold weather is here, I don't have any plans for a long trip. Unless, of course, you can make me a deal on some heated riding gear. Or (if Tammy drops by looking for a Christmas present for me) heated grips.

Thanks for the great work that you and your gang do. I met a guy who owns a Shadow ACE 1100 in Prince Frederick and gave him one of your cards and told him about your shop. With all the crappy service out there, it's nice to know that there is someone who takes pride in their work and can be depended upon.

·
Registered
2018 Honda Gold Wing
8,129 Posts
For you guys that just had the Traxxion suspension upgrade done, does your bike wobble on decel?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts