GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 215 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,
I am giving serious thought to a trailer. I would love to see what yours looks like, if you have time and don't mind, why did you pick that one, would you still buy that one if you had it to do over.

Thanks for the help

·
Squating Member
7,056 Posts
No picture at this time, however I have a Timeout Dart, 18 cu.ft. with the hidden cooler compartment in the front of the trailer...

Why did I picked that one, well, a fellow rider wanted to sell it when it was only a year old for a real good price, I jumped on it...

Would I buy it again, well I have learned a lot about trailers over the years and, no I would go with a Bushtec, escapade, dauntless, or maybe one of the car replica trailers....I think they look cool, not to say there is anything wrong with my Dart, would just try something different.

When I bought mine, I didn't know anyone that had one and had just seen them on the road and thought, "those a neat, wouldn't mind having one"....fast forward...now, I wouldn't be without one, LOVE IT.....they are just so darn handy....

Here's a like to my trailer; http://timeouttrailers.org/dart.aspx

Suggestion: get the best one you can afford.....

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
This is my Holsclaw, 80's vintage. I just wanted something cheap, as I don't use it enough to justify the cost of a new/really nice one. This one is about 22 cubic feet, 190# MT. Pulled it 5800 miles last year to CA, no problems.

·
Registered
598 Posts
This is what mine looks like....

We pulled it fully loaded through all 11 western states (excluding Hawaii and Alaska, unfortunately :( ) this past summer. Just over 6,200 miles and it pulls great. Advertised as having 25 cubic feet of storage. The only thing I want to change is the cooler on the front. I want to build a diamond plate aluminum "tool box" ice chest on a scale that fits the car trailer theme.

You can see these at www.carreplicatrailers.com

Paul H.

·
Registered
5,943 Posts
Here's one view of my Aluma MCT.

Here's another after adding a few adornments.

And just so you don't think it's parked in my yard all the time,
here's one on the way through Deal's Gap.

It's a great trailer for a great price. New MCT's are about $1,500.
I put about 10,000 miles on mine this last year and I'm very happy with it.
No problems.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Bought this Bushtec Quantum GL at the Spring Fling this year. Have put about 8000 miles on it. It pulls really straight, hardly even know it's back there. We take it just about everywhere we go, even on short weekend trips.

·
Registered
421 Posts
I'm very pleased with my 2006 Bushtec trailer, it pulls smooth and easy not to mention it looks great.

G

·
Got a Harbor Freight/Sears Cartop Carrier Trailer.

Couldn't see spending $2000 or more for a cargo trailer. Figured I would build my own ($300) and save for an Aspen Classic camper trailer

·
Registered
882 Posts
Actually, you could easily get buy with a homemade with a trailer frame and cartop carrier like several have posted on this BB. My first was a homemade. Trailer frame package narrowed so it wouldn't be wider than the bike. I used 1/8" masonite and a layer of fiberglass to build the box. Later added a cooler rack on the tongue. It had 2 leafs in the spring and I removed 1 because I would never be loading to the capacity it was rated at. Trailer weight = 125lbs. Load usually 200lbs. Total cost about $300.

My second was a Escapade I bought secondhand and had color matched to my 86 Venture Royale. Was a great trailer as far as capacity and pulling. My only complaint was all the space at the front that was hard to pack and unpack because the lid didn't open all the way. At the time, my back was ok, but now I have some bulging disc problems and could not lean over the trailer long enough to unpack that front nose section. I circled the area.

When I traded the Venture in on a 98 GL1500 I trade the trailer in with it. Ordered a Turbo+2 from Bushtec and rode to the factory to pick it up. When I bought the 03 GL1800 I had the Bushtec repainted at a local body shop. Honda just had to change the silver so it wouldn't match.Thats why I picked the Bushtec. I like the style, the suspension thats tailored excactly to the load by air adjustment and its worked flawlessly for me. When you open the top of the Bushtec it is completely open. No crawling in under the lid to get at the stuff packed up front.

·
Registered
871 Posts
Sorry, I couldn't resist...

Here's a picture of mine:

'02 Wells Cargo single bike trailer...

Lance :D :D

·
Registered
8,038 Posts
Piggy Backer is my Trailer of choice. Inexpensive and a fantastic performer, particularly for the cost.

Packing up for Change of Colors 2006 Approx packed weight was 545lb.

Loaded to the Max 545lb. Half way point to CMA Change of Colors. Average MPG 32.5 @ 65/68 Mph going up. Average MPG on return trip 30.5 @ 72/73 Mph

18 deg out this night, packing for the Marshal TX GW Rally

Ready to head home from Marshal Not near as cold for return trip.

Yes that is a full gas can on the toungue.

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
There's a picture of mine in my avatar. I can email you other shots if you like.
Would I buy it again? Without a moment's hesitation! IMO, I've got the best touring bike and the best touring trailer!

Andy

·
Registered
224 Posts
trailer

Mine is home made out of bags left over from when I triked my 1800, I can't seem to get this pic posting right but I have it in my frappr web site you can click on www at the bottom of my post and scroll down to it, there are some early pics and then some when I finished. I use it all the time, quick trips to wally world, fles markets or just a drive through town it is never took loose, It seems to draw attention for some reason. I am thinking about makeing them for sale if there is enough intrest. Larry

·
Registered
108 Posts
My new used trailer. It is a 1999 Hannigan I bought used and had it repainted. I have not had a chance to pull it very far but as far as I have gone it pulls very well.

The pictures were taken at the artists home that did all the painting.

1 - 20 of 215 Posts