GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got the bike when it had 3200 miles on it and called myself keeping the air pressure checked since I have had the bike, is this cupping a result of me or is this a Dunlop thing ?? :eek:4:

JB

·
Registered
323 Posts
:doorag:My origional 250's looked like that after 12,000 miles. went to stones. front tire went 19000 miles and no feathering. rear tire lasts about 11000 miles. :p

·
Registered
5,923 Posts
They don't call them DUNFLOPS for nothing.

·
Registered
373 Posts
What air pressure did you run! Honestly you should be happy with 10k on them. I normally get about 8k-9k out of any tire on the rear!

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
Yea, they're done for... Milage you get out of tires aries greatly from region to region but 10-12k is about it for most..

·
Registered
19,052 Posts
time for new shoes

·
Registered
626 Posts
The cupping looks normal, so I'd say your doing good with the air pressure. Time for a new tire, get a new one, and keep doing as you have been.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Yea, they're done for... Milage you get out of tires aries greatly from region to region but 10-12k is about it for most..
+1
I agree, the best I have had was about 14,000 on a rear and it was in pretty bad shape when I changed it.

·
Registered
211 Posts
My Dunflop looked worse than that at 6500 miles, check my tires before each ride. I have Bridgestones now and they look good at 6300 miles, slight noise in corners but the wear pattern is a lot better than the Dunlops.

·
Registered
9,393 Posts
IMO, cupping is caused, for the most part by suspension that isn't working properly. From my somewhat limited mechanical ability and memory, even on cars, cupping occurs when the shock is worn out. I've gone thru several sets of motto tires since suspension upgrade without cupping

Agree that, if you got that many miles, you did alright.

·
Registered
4,048 Posts
Well Dunlop says that, um, well..... OK - here, you can read it.
http://www.dunlopmotorcycle.com/infocenter_faq.asp?id=9#faq

My first (OEM) Bridgestone rear went 14,500 (to the wear bars) and kinda looked like that. I was running 38 lbs. Ran 42 with the new Bridgestone replacement. Still some weird wear but not as bad. Jacked up the front from 36 to 40 lbs and it went 18,000 but had some amount of cupping/feathering.

I've never been able to totally eliminate cupping on any of my bikes. The harder you ride them, the more tendency they have to cup/feather.

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
I probably should just keep my mouth shut since everyone will think I am a complete dunder-head. I just replaced an Avon Cobra rear with about 6,500 miles on it and it was completely without any visible tread except for the outside 1 inch and that tread was less than 1/16". :eek:4: Right in the center I had gone a little into the next layer of rubber but I had not reached the cord yet. :22yikes: I do get my money's worth out of a tire but there certainly is added risk when you get down to those wear levels. :wrong: The good news is that there was ZERO cupping! :rolleyes: What the hey! They use slicks on the drag strip, right? I was not riding in wet weather and they seems to hold the road just fine. Maybe all the safety Natzis are working for the tire manufacturers when they try to get us to change out our rubber early. :duck:

I left on a trip to Oregon with 4,000 miles on the rear tire, between 4 and 5/32" showing and wear bars are at 3/32". Since the tires start out around 8/32", I figured I had plenty of wear left for a trip of about 2,000 miles. After getting back from my trip, I put only about 200 more miles of local riding on them before I looked them over closely and realized they were completely smooth. Geez. I use Avons to get a good grip in the twisties but less than 6,500 miles on a rear tire is rediculous. I am now on my third rear tire compared to my first Cobra front tire. This time I went back to the Avon Venom-X tire on the rear. I never had this problem with those tires. So much for Avon "improving" their Gold Wing tire. Well, to be fair, the Cobra front tire is a real keeper.

What I have found out over the years is that the hardest rubber is nearest the outside (part touching the road) and wear is usually very good and linear down to the wear bars. There is where the manufacturers seem to be out to get me...or teach me a lesson for pushing the limits of tire wear. I believe they put softer rubber below the wear bar limits. This may be to keep the carcus of the tire more flexable or maybe it is to give added (read "needed") traction when you are low on tread. The lesson is that if you do see your tires getting down to or below the wear bars, KEEP A CLOSE EYE ON THEM UNTIL YOU GET THEM CHANGED! I would estimate that they wear between 3-4x as fast so they go away in a big hurry.

Okay, let the flames begin!:popcorn:

·
Registered
7,040 Posts
Flame me if you want! A cupped tire in my opinion, is due to not being properly balanced. The wheel and tire gets balanced when installed, by someone else mostly, is it really balanced. Some balance their own, maybe it is, at first, do you ever check the balance anytime later? I have had three Stones mounted by others and ran to tread bars and they cupped too. The last m/c tire was installed front and rear with Dyna Beads and no weights, I have over 13,000 mi on both and they are not cupped one iota! I am a believer that a properly balanced tire will wear true. What happens to a Auto tire that is un-balanced? It cups also. Just My Humble Opinion.........

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
just put a new tire and wheel on the bike and was just not wanting to be missing something that might have cause this, thanks to all that have replied, I am happy with 10k on the tire but just wasnt sure if it was me or something I might have been doing wrong

thanks again

JB

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
just put a new tire and wheel on the bike and was just not wanting to be missing something that might have cause this, thanks to all that have replied, I am happy with 10k on the tire but just wasnt sure if it was me or something I might have been doing wrong
thanks again

JB
If you put a new Dunlop E3 on, expect the same cupping. They are notorious for scalloping (esp. the rear tire) after about 7-8K miles -- and it has nothing to do with tire balancing! For best handling and all around performance, Bridgestones are almost universally rated as one of the best tires for the GL1800. Some say their one weak point, however, is that the rear tire doesn't get as good mileage as other brands. Still, I've never gotten less than 11-12K miles out of my rear 'Stones, and 18-20 on the front. On advice from several on this board, I went with a rear Metzler (the new Metzlers are supposed to get better mileage and are equivalent in performance as the 'Stones), and a Bridgestone front tire. I only have 6K miles on this new combo, but so far so good.

·
Registered
323 Posts
:doorag:Buzz, keep us posted as i am probably going to go the same route. 709 on the front and an 880 on the rear.:p

·
Registered
528 Posts
Tire pressure

JB, What tire pressure were you running in the tire ? !10k is darn good on a tire. Do you pull a trailer ? Ride two up ? How much weight do you carry ? Are you an aggressive rider ? All these add to tire wear. I changed my stock Dunlops for 880 Metzler radials. Running 44-45 lbs in the rear and 40-42 lbs in the front. I got about 9k out of the stock tires and threw them out. If you get more than 10k out of set of motorcyle tires then your darn lucky. The tires only have a contact patch the size of your fist. I rather be safe on a new set, than risk the dangers of worn out tires.

Regards,Murf

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
JB, What tire pressure were you running in the tire ? !10k is darn good on a tire. Do you pull a trailer ? Ride two up ? How much weight do you carry ? Are you an aggressive rider ? All these add to tire wear. I changed my stock Dunlops for 880 Metzler radials. Running 44-45 lbs in the rear and 40-42 lbs in the front. I got about 9k out of the stock tires and threw them out. If you get more than 10k out of set of motorcyle tires then your darn lucky. The tires only have a contact patch the size of your fist. I rather be safe on a new set, than risk the dangers of worn out tires.

Regards,Murf
Murphy, I ride 2 up everywhere I go, I dont pull a trailer and I believe it is 41-43 pounds of air in the rear tire and I dont think I would call myself an agressive rider, just take my time and smell the roses ;)

JB

1 - 20 of 21 Posts