GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just thought some might be curious what one looks like. As far as I know the MC just saw regular rides, not overly dusty or wet conditions very often. I know it was the original filter because of the Honda plastic molder date stamp on its frame. The oil shows better in the second, no flash pic; it's the same filter.

There are some other pics here on GL1800riders with different miles on them if you search the forum for 'air filter picture'. I was glad I changed it when I did but feel it could've gone another year or two/5000-8000 miles without any noticeable performance effects.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,105 Posts
I've figured 30,000 miles seems to work fine on the GL1800 as well as 4 wheel vehicals here in Denver. Conditions elsewhere may be different.

·
Vendor
17,823 Posts
That's a very dirty air filter. Even if it got dirtier, I doubt one who fell a difference in performance until one gets really dirty. However, the inside of the engine will defiantly show the results of a Wing that does not get frequent air filter changes. What happens is this. On a microscopic level, the dirt works, wiggles, and tears its way through the filter, and eventually gets through the filter, and then past the rings. Evidence of such will be seen inside the engine. "Dusty, dirty" will be found oil on cast ledges. The same dust and dirt makes its way into the ring-lands. As it builds up in the grooves, the rings begin to loose their freedom of movement which eventually leads to oil burning. I recently had one of those where the oil ring was nearly frozen in place. Soon it would have been an oil burner, or better stated, an engine that begins to use oil.

Usually I'm able to provides better pictures, but today only found this one.

Attachments

·
Love The DCT
12,023 Posts
That's a very dirty air filter. Even if it got dirtier, I doubt one who fell a difference in performance until one gets really dirty. However, the inside of the engine will defiantly show the results of a Wing that does not get frequent air filter changes. What happens is this. On a microscopic level, the dirt works, wiggles, and tears its way through the filter, and eventually gets through the filter, and then past the rings. Evidence of such will be seen inside the engine. "Dusty, dirty" will be found oil on cast ledges. The same dust and dirt makes its way into the ring-lands. As it builds up in the grooves, the rings begin to loose their freedom of movement which eventually leads to oil burning. I recently had one of those where the oil ring was nearly frozen in place. Soon it would have been an oil burner, or better stated, an engine that begins to use oil.

Usually I'm able to provides better pictures, but today only found this one.

How many miles on the head in your pic?

:doorag:

·
Vendor
17,823 Posts
Here are more. The first is very clean. From that picture, I can tell the owner maintains his Wing ... it get frequent oil and air filter changes ... there is no evidence of dirt collecting. In the second ... dirt ... either from the oil and/or the air filter not being changed often enough. With 5th gens, it is important to pay attention to the foot notes in the maintenance schedule ... "service more frequently when riding in unusually wet or dusty areas." According to Honda, the air filter needs replaced at least every 12k or sooner.

In the second picture, the blue arrows point to areas where the oil flows fast enough so that dirt does not collect. In the red is a "splash" area where it collects.

On 5th gens, not replacing air filters every 12k is like telling the Dr that you feel very healthy in spite of smoking 2-packs a-day. The 3rd picture shows freshly removed lungs. The guy who felt healthy ... his are on the left :)

Attachments

Reactions: Drair

·
Registered
200 Posts
I dug through my computer and found a pic of my first filter change, at about 30,000 miles. Yes, they do get dirty.

Guess which one was the new filter?:grin2:

Attachments

·
Registered
5,938 Posts
Just remember it is not the dirt you can see on the surface of the air cleaner, it is the dirt that is trapped and out of sight in the filter material. If you wait until the filter looks dirty you have waited too long. Two years or 20K miles should be time for a change. Once you learn to change the filter it shouldn't take more than an hour or hour and a half. As Greg has pointed out and provided picture proof the grit that gets through the filter can be a big problem.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Most of the used filter photos shown on this forum are of the intake part of the filter, if you turn one over and see the other side it would tell you a little more about what is getting in the engine and if the filter is a good filter & doing its job.

·
Registered
5,994 Posts
I have approx 30,000 (s)miles on my bike now....................looks like It just may be time, to do what I have "dreaded to do" for the past couple of seasons.................Uggggggggggg:crying::crying:

Ronnie

Anyone near Springfield Mass, that has the understanding of how to do this replacement, care to help??

Ronnie

·
Registered
391 Posts
Why such a short service interval?

R&R on an air filter at 12000 miles is a pretty short interval.
And if it is on that schedule, you would think the filter would be a bit easier to get at....
My pickup has a listed R&R of 45,000 miles (inspect at oil changes)
On my wife's car, it is R&R at 30,000

GW's may be taken off the beaten path from time to time, but they are not dirt bikes.

I have all different kinds of equipment, some of it in severe service. 250 hour service interval is equivalent to approximately 15000 miles. Most of those filters are easily accessed. I may service them through the year, but typically replace them annually.

bryon

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
I have approx 30,000 (s)miles on my bike now....................looks like It just may be time, to do what I have "dreaded to do" for the past couple of seasons.................Uggggggggggg:crying::crying:

Ronnie

Anyone near Springfield Mass, that has the understanding of how to do this replacement, care to help??

Ronnie
Here's a Steve Saunders video on the procedure for non-airbag 2006 and beyond. (If the link doesn't work, just Google "changing an air filter on a 2010 Honda Goldwing" to find and view)

Reactions: JoeHall
1 - 15 of 15 Posts