GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Banned
939 Posts
Here is mine all that is missing is the photo of me listing to the radio forecast with a coffee cup in my hand.

Rain
forecast to be heavy in the region

Heavy rain is in the forecast for Juneau and Southeast
Alaska.

Meteorologist Tim Stessen in the Juneau Forecast
Office says rain will be increasing today into tonight
and into Saturday. They're forecasting from 1 to 3
inches during that time.

The forecaster says there will be rises in the area's
streams and creeks

So he says they'll be keeping an eye on stream levels.

The heavy rain is forecast for the entirety of
Southeast Alaska.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Here's a pic of my VTX on a rainy day during my 2010 roadtrip.

A pic of my GL1500 on a rainy day in Appomattox last year:

Here's a pic I took a few weeks ago on the Million Dollar Hwy right before the heavens opened up:

·
Registered
3,610 Posts
This was taken during the Gator1000 in March. It is a pic of our 1st checkpoint which was the gator shaped mailbox in East Palatka, Florida. We had to include our rally flag in all pics of checkpoints.

·
Registered
1,858 Posts

·
Registered
1,368 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
texas

it hasnt rained in texas since i got my goldwing.......:-(

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
My buddy and I on the Talimena Scenic Byway. :)

Those that have been there will recognize this silhouette. Queen Wilhelmina Lodge!

We couldn't see 10 feet in front of us and we were a bit "damp"... but it was still a great day of riding!

·
Registered
248 Posts
A friend and I were riding through the pass in Idaho a while back. The temperatures on the way up through the pass was in the 70's........very comfortable. We could see the storm clouds filling in the low spots as we climbed up through the pass. When it started to rain, HARD, the temp dropped from 70 to 38 degrees with heavy SLEET! :eek:4:. My friend called out to me on the CB that he couldn't see a THING! He wears a strong prescription in his glasses and is blind as a bat without them. Not only the windshields fogged instantly, but so did the face shields on the helmets and his glasses!

Fortunately, by the grace of God, there was a turn off RIGHT where we needed it. I was flashing my brake light so my friend could follow the 10,000 flashing red balls of light that he was seeing at the time......................:22yikes:.

In this photo, his shorts had already been cleaned out and we were able to laugh about it a little.......There was definitely a little "Pucker Power" going on that day.:bow:

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
RAIN and FOG

Ya know, most of the pictures we see are of sunny skies, mountains, roads, and fields. You just can't travel this great country without the unexpected rain shower, rain storm, lightening and thunderstorm. Interestingly enough some of my more memorable riding experiences have been in rain and it's not usually when we pull out the darn camera.

Thanks for posting these pictures.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
Hit a terrible storm on the Interstate going through ND... could not see 20ft in front of me... Slowed down enough to be able to look at the ground and follow the white line along the side of the road.

As luck would have it, the line veered off to the right, revealing an Offramp... I followed it off the interstate and a short distance later happened across an abandoned gas station in Dawson ND.

I was VERY happy for the shelter, as lightening was crashing all about.

Interestingly, and as a general comment about "small towns", several locals stopped by over the 1/2 hr that I waited out the storm, asking if I was broke down and needed help... pretty cool!

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Alexb

Alex...Great picture and the story puts it all in perspective... I like stories like this it makes traveling fun... once you find shelter.

1 - 20 of 84 Posts