GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking for a nice camera mount that could be quick released without disassembling the RAM base and arm. the standard ram base is ok, but if you want to remove your camera and remove the base, it is a little more problematic. This solution is sold by mountinginnovations.com and you can buy extra bases that attach to the bottom of your still camera or video camera if you need to. a flick of the safety, then one hand on the camera, the other rotates the release arm and the camera and base pop up. The base is small enough to fit in the camera bag (for me anyway) and is much more compact than the big clunky Ram Universal base.

I also had a butler drink cup and liked the rigidity of the mount. I also needed to install the RAM mount on the same side. A happy solution to both issues was 2 M6x1x65 allen head screws from my honda shop. The extra length screws allowed me to stack the mounts as you see in the pictures.

Here is the base and the mounting plate. This little item is screwed onto the tripod thread hole on your camera's base. Notice NO RAM BALL on this part. The ball stays on the base that stays on the bike!:cool::cool::cool:

·
Registered
64 Posts
And for those of you, like me, that have way to many RAM balls and camera mounts already, just buy the quick release assembly from a camera shop and screw it to RAM mount you already own.

I wish I would seen have that item last year. I spent way too much money matching my normal tripod mounts so I would just need to buy one series of plates.

An item long over due...

Here is a camera site with options from $20 to $300 for the quick release assemblies: http://tinyurl.com/cjucc5

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
Some of us have been using the Manfrotto QR system for a long time... I use it to attach my iWay GPS to my dash mount.

B&H Photo has good prices on these items.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts